Did you mean: 

Floor plan electrical symbol size

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
5752 Views, 4 Replies

Floor plan electrical symbol size

Hello everyone,

I'm curious if there's documentation out there that dictates standards for floor plan electrical symbols, like junction box, power outlet, and data jack symbols? I'm specifically trying to figure out what the correct size of these symbols should be? I typically have sheet sizes of 36" x 24" and my floor plans are at 1/8"=1'0" scale.

Thanks.

Mike
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

as you know there isn't any specific dimensions for symbols in general. we usually do it depending on scale and the size of project.you can find a lot and a lot of Electrical symbols here in this >>> Link <<< .

Good Luck..

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
pendean

That;s a judgement call you will need to make: print to paper and experiment.
Message 4 of 5
jggerth

Rule of thumb for symbolic representations would be 1/8" plotted size.  But that's not hard/fast -- use it as a starting point, and follow Dean's advice to see what size works best for your situation

FWIW -- Uniform Drawing System section 6.1.5 (Part of the NCS) would seem to double my suggested size, and go for 1/4"

Module 6 - Introduction | Uniform Drawing System | United States National CAD Standard - V6

6.1.5 Symbols Scale

Symbols used in drawings are scale dependent, independent, or both.

6.1.5.1 Scale Dependent: Actual printed size of the symbol is directly related to the scale of the drawing or view. Δ For example, a 2" x 3" phone port cannot be represented in real size (e.g., 0.0017" x 0.0026" at 1/8" = 1' 0" scale), so it is commonly represented as a triangular 1/4" scale dependent symbol that is scaled to the CAD Scale Factor of the view (layout).

6.1.5.2 Scale Independent: Actual printed size of the symbol is consistent no matter what the drawing scale. The size is normally associated with the actual size of the object (e.g., a 30" x 60" table would be 30" x 60" or 0.312" x 0.624" at 1/8" = 1' 0" scale).

Message 5 of 5
Llam.Tech

Hello Mike,

There are two type of inserting a symbol in the drawing. First is, insert your symbol in the model including the plot plan or floor plan. Which you need to scale up your symbols as per scale. 2nd is, inserting your symbol in the paper layout which you don't have to scale up or down you symbol. With regards to symbol sizes, it is on your own judgement what size do you want your symbol to be. It is like a font/text size, as I've said on the other forum topic. Your symbol should be visible in a small print out like 11"x17". The reason why, those clients or boss or whoever wants to check your work will not print a full size hard copy just to check your work, right? They most probably print this out in an 11"x17"(Bsize) or 421mmx297mm (A3 size) paper size. I think you should do some experiment print on every possible scale you want it to print. In that way, you know that it is visible to those scales.

I hope this answer help you with your project. If you have time, I created some videos in youtube that might interest you. here's one. Installation detail of electrical equipment. http://youtu.be/vpb4ZJb_MxU, http://youtu.be/_AlHxizzMX8, http://youtu.be/bI3ENje29yM

Thanks.

Jay

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report