file takes too long to open

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
3288 Views, 5 Replies

file takes too long to open

PFA attached file.

Files is taking time to open also working with.

original file is made in AutoCAD 2012

Steps i have taken:

1. Purge (Orphan purge it reduced size from 7 mb to 4 mb)

2. Audit, Recover

3. -scalelistedit

4. Tried by making wblock also.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
leothebuilder
in reply to: Anonymous

Yup, it sure took a long time for me to open this file too.

Once a file is a mess it's hard to get it back to something workable.

First of all I would detach all the unreferenced files that are attached.

Typical of a lot of people working on a file and attaching jpegs and all sorts of other crap from their desktop folder.

Second I would break this file up in parts that make sense for what you need to do with this file.

Delete everything you don't need for your work. Purge and clean each file.

Then xref the parts back together.

Message 3 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

within your drawing you have details (extremely small) which I guess you even might not know that they exist?

Zoom to Window (in modelspace)

299733.5557,97819.7376 to 299734.4742,97820.3962

There you find 1 hatch on layer "Deckenschraffur" based on elements with multiple thousands of vertices, you can see which hatch it is as it shows some diagonal lines, so the hatch don't get it's borders together. Erase this hatch, save the drawing with a new name and close it and open the new drawing.

So the conclusion is that (besides of unnecessary geometry, I think) there is one hatch which tries to recalculate it's display and it needs too much processor power.

Complete drawing, red arrow points to the position where you find the detail

2015-11-30 16-05-24.png

Zoomed to detail, pointer shows to diagonal lines from the defect hatch:

2015-11-30 16-10-05.png

Unlock the layer "Deckenschraffur", select the hatch (needs a bit of time until it is selected) and erase it.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 6
TheCADnoob

Do what alfred did 🙂

took a while for me too. The last thing you could do to being it down would be OVERKILL, but that did not help this file much. There is just a lot of information in this file. I might see if i could change a work flow. AutoCAD dosent neccesarily put limits on file size but performance is going to be your road block. 

By default the number of objects that a command (at least from the ribbon) can handle is somethign like 2500. the second drawing from the left has in excess of 20K objects. This is just a lot of information. 

I might try to break this into several different drawings and use xrefs and not bind until you are completly done with the drawing. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 5 of 6

hey alfred, how did you ever think to look there? Is there a way (command etc) of finding bad hatces?

Also what are you using to create those cool break away screen shots? 🙂

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 6 of 6

Hi,

>> how did you ever think to look there? Is there a way (command etc) of finding bad hatces?

No, there is no build in command, but I have a tool which scans through entities and checks them, and I modified this for now to see which entity is the slowest one. 😉

The other method would work well too: Split the drawing into parts (or erase parts / close / reopen the dwg) and see which one is then fast and which one stays slow.

Pressing <CTRL><A> gives you also a small point showing there is (small) geomtry.

So there are multiple methods available 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta