Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude inwards. (Trying to make a Christmas ornament)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
654 Views, 5 Replies

Extrude inwards. (Trying to make a Christmas ornament)

I’m in high school and right now my teacher wants us to make a Christmas ornament.

I’m trying to decorate my ornament. I figured out how to make a band go all the way around my sphere and extrude it inwards (i think) now I’m trying to make other designs like circles and stars.

I can’t figure out how to get those shapes on my sphere and extrud them inwards just a little bit. Please help.
(I’m sorry if I’m not too descriptive, I’ve only been on autocad for about 2 months)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jmartt
in reply to: Anonymous

This is what I think you're wanting. Or a quick version of it. You could probably make the star the same depth everywhere...Hmm. I don't know if you can drape a shape on a solid like you can an aerial photo on a surface.

Bravo, kid, for your efforts.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jmartt

How about taking a sphere and making a 'ring' around it and extruding it inward. The only videos ive found on the internet that are similar are of people making Pokemon balls in autocad. When i tried this method something wasnt right, im not sure what. 

Message 4 of 6
jmartt
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't think you can extrude a ring. Although, now that I think about it, you can extrude along a path, so you could draw a ring, align the UCS orthogonal to it at some point, make a shape, and basically router that shape around. But It'd probably be easier to do what I did in the screencast here. Just make the shape you want to subtract.
Message 5 of 6
jmartt

By the way, (@BushW et al), this thread should probably be moved to a CAD forum. This ain't C3D-related

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Hi, it's been a while. Ive finished the ornament, but now i need to build a support structure. Ive tried everything in my 3D printing software. I was wondering if you knew how to make a support structure

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report