extract only one part from a DWG in Autocad

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
7570 Views, 14 Replies

extract only one part from a DWG in Autocad

Hi,

Does anyone know how can we extract only one part from a DWG?

I mean only one room from a floor plan, to work only on it.

Thank you in advance

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
imadHabash
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> Does anyone know how can we extract only one part from a DWG? <<

• save as a new drawing from the origin one . 
  • use command ERASE >> ALL command . 
  • by Shift+left mouse click to select just the area that you need to stay . 

or also you can use WBLOCK command . >> Click <<

Regards,

Message 3 of 15
Ron-C

Have you tried to "COPY" to the clipboard the items needed and then "PASTE" into a new drawing?

Seems to work the easiest.

Ron

Message 4 of 15
TheCADnoob

If it is xreffed in you can used the command NCOPY to copy the elements from the xref to your current drawing. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

Doesn't work, everything is working together see image, 

Thanks

Message 6 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

You are welcome to attach the file to a post so I can take a look. I suggest however, that in the mean time, you create your new working file and xref this other file into it.  This allows you to work on top of the room  while leaving the original file available to others. Can you describe what you are trying to do with this room? Are you trying to space plan just this one area? A new set of layers might let you do this without affecting the existing drawing.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 15
imadHabash

Hi,

>> Doesn't work, ....  <<

what is it ? what command and procedure you did it and it doesn't work ? would you describe more the procedure please?

>> ... , everything is working together see image,  <<

" working together " ... that's mean that you have an xref attachment or block or some thing like this .... isn't it ? 

if you have xref's in your drawing then there is another treatment way to get your need ... in few words describe your drawing status to give you a proper answer . 🙂

Regards.

Message 8 of 15
-FDC-

Write an external block with the "wblock" command.

Same as block but instead of saving the block in the drawing it will be saved to the disk.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John and thanks for your clarifications,

Actually I have a floor plan and I want to extract only one room to work only with this one( dimensions, space planning). As someone send me the plan it has all the information fixed for him. When you try to copy the walls, the layers correspond to the layers of all the floor plan(attached image). Any idea how I can extract only this one? What do you mean exactly about the xref?

Thank you

Message 10 of 15
imadHabash

HI,

>> As someone send me the plan it has all the information fixed for him. <<

it's seems that you have a drawing with previous xrefs and then binded before it's send to you. 

>> Any idea how I can extract only this one? <<

you can take a copy from your file ( save as ) then explode the plan with EXPLODE command . now you can take and copy any rooms from your drawing.

>> What do you mean exactly about the xref? <<

XREF is a command that you can insert any drawing file as an external reference or xref in the current drawing. it's a way that when you have multi use for a floor plan then you can insert it as xref attachment in many CAD dwg files ; now the idea is if any changes or modifications occurred in that floor plan all other dwg files will changed and modified automatically . >> Click << 

Regards,

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: imadHabash

Hi Imad and thanks for your clarifications,

>> As someone send me the plan it has all the information fixed for him. <<

it's seems that you have a drawing with previous xrefs and then binded before it's send to you. ---Yes that's it, but why they have done it like this?

>> Any idea how I can extract only this one? <<

you can take a copy from your file ( save as ) then explode the plan withEXPLODE command . now you can take and copy any rooms from your drawing.--------Thanks very much , it has worked the way I want it at the moment, this is the solution.

And something last the xref , is it a practical way?

Thank you

Message 12 of 15
imadHabash

>> Thanks very much , it has worked the way I want it at the moment, this is the solution. <<

Great ... glad to hear that . 

>> And something last the xref , is it a practical way? << 

YES it's practical . it's one of AutoCAD commands that ( i can said ) we can not imagine our life without it . make sure to find some one near you to teach you how to use it ... believe me it's worth . 🙂 

all the best for you ...

Message 13 of 15
john.vellek

HI @sergiosand,

I am so happy that Imad got you working with his help.

I made a quick video this morning that shows how copy/paste can you help you with this process and then I also show how to attach the original drawing as an XREF to your current drawing.  This lets you work on the plan without affecting the original. In fact, you can make changes to the original and those changes will be reflected in your new drawing as well.

When you are ready to plot/print this you can then switch to a paperspace layout and create a viewport that shows only the one room.

I hope this helps you to consider how powerful this process can be in your workflow.

[EDIT] The embedded Screencast is not working so here is a link to the video. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

In a previous life, the engineering group I was working for developed a Macro to immitate the clip/fence/extract that you can do with MicroStation.

It is unfortunate that there is still no such command integrated in AutoCAD, unless there is a third party package you can get out there. A command to extract an area would safe a lot of time on a project when you do not want to share a plant layout with the entire planet, specially if there is an NDA somewhere binding you to spend time binding, exploding, deleting, purging, etc.

Message 15 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

Perhaps a little searching in the Autodesk App Store will yield some results.  I found this app that might do the trick but there are likely others available too.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost