Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ellipse Fillet

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
DuncanAnderson
2245 Views, 8 Replies

Ellipse Fillet

I'm doing quite a bit of steel work using Acad. There is a small problem when showing the end view of "box section" - be it S.H.S or R.H.S - when it has been cut at an angel.

Cut through a circle at an angle and we get an Ellipse, cut through a fillet at an angle and we get an ... ... ...

We need the option of an ellipse within the Fillet command. Obviously this would also require 2 radii to be inputted.

Duncan Anderson

"Humour is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary living." {Terence 'Spike' Milligan KBE (16 Apr 1918 – 27 Feb 2002)}
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
beyoungjr
in reply to: DuncanAnderson

Hmmm,

A variable FILLET... like varied distances for a CHAMFER.

Interesting idea, you might consider adding this to the Ideas section.  If it gets enough support you might see a result.

Meanwhile I might suggest sweeping a solid ellipse profile to get the object that you could then subtract from your prime solid.

Cheers,

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 3 of 9

@DuncanAnderson wrote:

Cut through a circle at an angle and we get an Ellipse, cut through a fillet at an angle and we get an ... ... ...

... Ellipse, too, just a partial  one -- the Arc option  in the Ellipse command.  No, you can't do it within a Fillet command, but it's not difficult to draw.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 9
DuncanAnderson
in reply to: beyoungjr

@beyoungjr where is the "Ideas section" for AutoCAD?

I know most other Autodesk products have "Ideas" forums etc., but I can't find one for AutoCAD. Cat Sad

I know what you mean about using an ellipse and then trimming it, but that isn't very productive - it's time consuming.

Duncan Anderson

"Humour is one man shouting gibberish in the face of authority, and proving by fabricated insanity that nothing could be as mad as what passes for ordinary living." {Terence 'Spike' Milligan KBE (16 Apr 1918 – 27 Feb 2002)}
Message 5 of 9
beyoungjr

Good afternoon @DuncanAnderson,

You are correct, there is no "Ideas" area within the Autodesk Community for just AutoCAD.  You can however submit ideas for Product Design Suite or other suites.

Another option is to join the Autodesk Users Group International (AUGI).  There is a "Wish List" within that community where you can submit items and other users rank the items as well as communicate about them.

I personally believe the AUGI Wish List is just as effective as the Ideas method.  I think that Autodesk may have created their most recent addition of the new Centermark and Centerline commands, based in part on some long-term wish list items related to those functionalities (not finished making those as good as they need to be though).

I'll be happy to follow whichever method you might choose in your nomination of this functionality.  While this type of suggestion might get occassional snide remarks against antiquated 2D work I contend that 2D product enhancements are still very relevant and should be considered when a good case is presented.  The thought of a variable fillet based on designated 3D perspectives might sound complex but my mind immediately thinks about the old viewpoint dialog box and just working in a radius with it.

Further thought on the topic makes me think that a nice dynamic block could be made with stretch parameters and visibility states.  I'll coninue thought on that.

Much Luck,

Blaine

Blaine Young

Message 6 of 9
parkr4st

isn't the end view of a stick of steel the same for a square cut as for the angled cut? & The ellipse shows when the round is viewed perpendicular to the face?

Message 7 of 9
DuncanAnderson
in reply to: parkr4st

@parkr4st No

See PNG taken from Inventor

Cut Box Section.png

Duncan Anderson

Message 8 of 9
DuncanAnderson

@beyoungjr AutoCAD isn't my first "weapon of choice", I tend to use Inventor, where there's an Ideas forum.

It also frowned upon you use the Feedback form as developers want users to vote on different ideas.

I'd forgotten about AUGI, thanks for the reminder.

I'll probably post via the feedback form as I don't have time to respond to various replies, developers can then decide whether it is a worthy suggestion or not.

cheerz

Duncan Anderson

Message 9 of 9
beyoungjr

Okay I agree that Inventor gives you what you want, but so does ACAD when you work with 3D solids.

I love Inventor but still teach and use ACAD.  While the idea of 2D elliptical fillets is great I'd caution this comparison because it's 3D.

Cheers

Blaine Young

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost