Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.ecw files in autoCAD

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mbowley
6914 Views, 5 Replies

.ecw files in autoCAD

We are currently using autoCAD LT and are looking to upgrade to autoCAD 2015 so that we can draw over the top of our aerial photography. Are aerial photograpghy is a .ecw file. From what I have gathered is that autoCAD will be able attach this image to the drawing through the external reference command however it will not be georeferenced to its location. This isnt a problem but I was wondering if autoCAD will still insert the image at the scale it was taken without the georeferencing?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
braudpat
in reply to: mbowley

Hello

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

ACAD LT is not able to insert/load ECW,SID,etc image files ...

With ACAD Architecture, ACAD MEP, ACAD Mechanical, ACAD Electrical, etc, you can insert ECW, SID files

but the image will not be inserted automatically at the right position !!

With ACAD MAP & ACAD CIVIL the ECW, SID image will be inserted automatically at the right position !!!

So if you know somebody with an ACAD MAP or CIVIL , he could for you :

1) Insert automatically at the right position the ECW, SID file

2) Save the DWG file to Ascii/Text DXF file

3) Use an editor to change the image extension from .ECW to .JPG and resave the DXF with an other filename

4) Convert the ECW/SID file to .JPG (with low compression to keep quality)

5) Now you can load the New DXF (and the .JPG image) with ANY ACAD - With ACAD LT for example ...

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Murph_Map
in reply to: mbowley

AutoCAD (vanilla) can attach the images but getting it in the correct location and scaled right can be an issue. You can use Raster Design with AutoCAD and make it work better but I would suggest using AutoCAD Map3D or Civil3D depending on the type of work you do. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 6
andreXG7QQ
in reply to: braudpat

how to insert ecw to correct place in civil 3d 

Message 5 of 6
Pointdump
in reply to: andreXG7QQ

Hi Andre,
Please post this in the >>>Civil 3D Forum<<<.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 6 of 6
vladimir_michl
in reply to: Murph_Map

If you want to use plain AutoCAD and if you have added the ECW support (through Civil 3D, Rater Design or an external plugin), you can place/georeference your .ECW images according to their .EWW world files - use the GeoRefImg plugin (free) from Autodesk Apps or from https://www.cadstudio.cz/en/apps/georefimg/

Vladimir Michl, www.arkance-systems.cz  -  www.cadforum.cz

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost