Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG to PDF.pc3 - where are the image quality options?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Peac3
2677 Views, 14 Replies

DWG to PDF.pc3 - where are the image quality options?

Hello, I have to produce a large poster to be printed professionally. I succeeded in creating a large sheet in AutoCAD 60" x 84", adding a custom page in DWG to PDF.pc3

My problem is the following, I have to include a large JPG heading which is about 4 megs, and I want to keep the full quality of that JPG, can't find a way to do that. In the ACAD plot menu I set shaded viewports quality to maximum 400 dpi but the end result of the PDF is only 850 kb.

Is there a way to print while retaining the full JPG quality (4mb) ? I can't find how to do that using DWG to PDF.

Would be glad to get some help on that.

Thanks in advance.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
john.vellek
in reply to: Peac3

HI @Peac3,

TO get your Image to print cleanly did you also set the resolution in the PDF driver options?  The maximum dpi I have is 4800.

Capture.PNG

By default, a PDF is going to down-sample. If you really need to leave the image quality at the original level, you might need to bring the drawing into Illustrator or another application where you can override the compression of the image files.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 15
Peac3
in reply to: john.vellek

The PDF option, i am not sure where i can find that config menu.  But even if i put it at maximum DPI resolution, I understand the DWG to PDF PC3 is going to reduce the size of the image anyways?

So it's not really possible to keep the full quality JPG...

Message 4 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @Peac3,  You can find the options under graphics of the Properties. Or if you select that driver you should also see a PDF Options button.

But, essentially you will be reducing the resolution. One option to keep a sharp image is to reduce the colors but that doesn't work as a solution in most cases.

What are you trying to print? Is the JPG something you can convert to a vector graphic?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 15
Peac3

Ok I looked into Plot, DGW to PDF.pc3 + Properties, In graphics i have 2 choices

- Vector graphics but i can't configure anything inhere, it's shaded grey: The device cannot configure some of these values, and there are no values for DPI of the PDF either.

- Merge control : 2 choices Line overwright or line merge

===============

I can't convert to vector graphics because it's using a special government i don't have right now.

But I found that AdobeAcrobat plugin can produce a high quality PDF on another station. Unfortunately it's an older version of autocad not supporting transparent hatches.

Very unfortunate but perhaps not the end of the world...

Message 6 of 15
john.vellek

HI @Peac3,

Perhaps it is worth trying a trial of newer product to see if that gives you the control you need for your project.  The 2018 version can be found here.

John Vellek

Message 7 of 15
Peac3

I will have a look at the link, most likely Adobe Acrobat would resolve my issue with my current version of AutoCAD on my workstation. I will have to continue this tomorrow.

Thanks for your help John.

Message 8 of 15
Peac3

Ah yes and I asked to get the special font, we have it on some computers. If i can get it, ill convert the JPG into vector simply and produce a file. 

Message 9 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @Peac3, This is going to be much easier if you can get it into vector. Let me know if you need help with it.

John Vellek

Message 10 of 15
Peac3

Ok thanks,  ill come back here tomorrow to publish a final report of what happened.

Message 11 of 15
Peac3

Ok at the end i did this:

Generate the PDF with the Adobe Acrobat print plugin, it's possible to save PDF in high quality. Though it has a strange management of the JPG, visually it looks rough even if it's a High quality JPG. tried to print a section of the large sheet scale 1:1 on a 11x17 sheet and it's pretty good but visually at the screen it's a rough JPG.

There is also an old situation with the solid hatches, when I generate a PDF with solid hatches, they have white lines inside of them and this was a problem in all version of CAD I used to this day up to 2013.

See the image:

https://imgur.com/3SwJ0k7

Is there a way to correct that? to prevent CAD from inducing these line errors? It's not causing trouble usually to print the sheet, these lines will not prit but I was told they cause problems with vinyl cutters. (EX: cutting a pictogram a polyline from Autocad and filled with solid hatch) They can't use a DXF with the texture and put it on their machine and simply cut some vinyl, they have to redraw in whatever the Adobe suite. Indesign or Illustrator.

Is there anything that can be done or it's only some kind of protection for the sake of telling: You use AutoCAD for this and you use Illustrator for that?

Message 12 of 15
pendean

Yes, if you want to mix raster/vector and totally control the output quality andresult, you have to use the correct software (Illustrator and the like) since that has never been the core function of AutoCAD.

For lines across your hatches, in Acrobat/Reader do the following
Open a PDF
Click on EDIT pulldown menu
Click on PREFERENCES
Choose the PAGE DISPLAY category
UNTICK SMOOTH LINE ART
Message 13 of 15
john.vellek

Hi @Peac3,

I think Dean is correct about the lines issue. It is likely just a preference in your PDF viewing program.

Can you attach one of those PDFs with lines so I can test in my viewer?

John Vellek

Message 14 of 15
Peac3

Hello I looked a bit  but my software is in french and couldn't find an exact match to remove the specific option discusses previously.. What I can see is not really important, if I can see the lines or not on my computer.

It's the person at the printing or cutting company, it's them who always ask about the lines, i would like to produce drawing without these lines in the first place for them not to ask me about the lines.

Here are some PDFS and a screenshot

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YiBIrKi6a0hCBmUD5nas2aaIJl6acXGP

It's a polyline with solid hatch inside. Right shape has pedit Spline effect on it, generated by PDF creator.

One generated by PDF creator

Second Cute PDF writer

Third DWG to PDF

The screen shot is generated from DWG to PDF but they are all has bad t the screen.

Message 15 of 15
john.vellek

HI @Peac3,

This is what I see on my side with the preferences set in my PDF reader as Dean described.

Capture.PNG

the lines are merely a display issue. When I print your file(s) I still do not have the lines appear.

I question why you need the hatch for your print shop. Is this a Spot Color to be printed?  Please give me an idea of what the end product is so I might make some suggestions.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report