Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop down menu in open/save window freezes AutoCAD 2018

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
jcolesRA725
711 Views, 12 Replies

Drop down menu in open/save window freezes AutoCAD 2018

This is an issue I've been trying to fix for a long time. Our IT support guy has been looking into it too, and he's stumped. We have tried uninstalling/reinstalling CAD and factory resetting my computer.

The drop down menu in the open or save window causes CAD to stop responding. It will start working again, but only after waiting about 10 minutes. The only workaround I've found is to use the "previous folder" button and go back through all our project's folders until I reach the server, which is a pain.

Capture.PNG

I found a solution to the same issue here, however it doesn't work for me as I don't have a phone directly linked to my computer.

This was never an issue when I was running 2013/15/17, and only started when I began using 2018. Nothing else has changed. I'm using the same computer/set up and no addition/upgraded software besides CAD. We have not been able to replicate the issue on any of my colleagues computers.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jayhar
in reply to: jcolesRA725

Hi,

Try one or more of the following solutions

1, Run Windows Update to make sure current updates are installed for Windows 10.

2, Install the current AutoCAD updates after reinstalling

3, Disable your antivirus program. It may be necessary to uninstall the antivirus to fully verify that it is not interfering with AutoCAD

4, Test a diagnostic and selective startup.

1, On the keyboard, hold down the WINDOWS key and then hit R.

2, In the Run window, type MSCONFIG and then click OK

3, Under the Boot tab, click on "Safe Boot." and "Minimal"

Please Subscribe YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCclj8v9vHQiFa8_DriuAk3w

Please Mark the Post or Posts as Solution(s) to help others find the answer quickly.
Message 3 of 13

Hi,

what happens if you disconnect your workstation from network?

Can you then open the dialog without issues?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 13

I just tried this and it had no effect.
Message 5 of 13
cadffm

I show only a part of the dialog, so we can not see all.

Current folder is Desktop?

Let us test if the problem is the Desktop content.

Show us the fill content of your desktop by navigate in Explorer to Desktop and the View should be DETAILS,

display all File Extension = YES, SIZE column should be on.

So we can see the content.

But much better is: MOVE the hole content to another folder, start your test now.

Make sure  REMEMBERFOLDERS is set to 1 before you start open a file.

After Testing (if OPEN start in Desktop as start-folder again?) you can re-move the content back.

- Sebastian -
Message 6 of 13
jcolesRA725
in reply to: cadffm

It's only on my desktop because I had just opened CAD for the purpose of making it clear what I was referring to. This happens no matter what folder I'm currently in.
Message 7 of 13
jayhar

Hi,

Can you please Check FILEDIA  <1>

Please Mark the Post or Posts as Solution(s) to help others find the answer quickly.
Message 8 of 13
jcolesRA725
in reply to: jayhar

Yeah, It's <1>
Message 9 of 13
miledrizk

Hi,

Well obviously you tried almost everything, so maybe another try, even though it might not

Help also, is to type the word SERVICES in the search field on your desktop, and when the app

Appears right click it and choose Run As Administrator. Look for Server in the name column, then

Check to see if it's set to Automatic in the Startup Type column (it should also reads Running in the Status column)

If not, right click it and choose Properties, then in the Startup Type choose Automatic from the drop down list.

services.PNG

------------------------------------------------------
miledrizk@gmail.com
3DS Max 2021, V-Ray 5.2
3DS Max user since 2003 (3DS Max 7)
V-Ray user since 2008 (V-Ray 1.47)
My YouTube Channel http//www.youtube.com/c/MiledRizk
Message 10 of 13
jcolesRA725
in reply to: miledrizk

It is already on automatic
Message 11 of 13
jayhar

When AutoCAD freezes (hangs) in the "Open" dialog, there are usually two types of causes:

1,Collision with a system component taking care of file access, resp. attached to the Open dialog - e.g. a network redirector, antivirus software (e.g. a known problem with Norton 360 3.0), virtual disks, a thumbnail generator, etc. You can avoid displaying this dialog by temporary disabling of FILEDIA.

2,The Open dialog itself - if AutoCAD seemingly freezes instead of displaying this dialog, it is possible that the dialog is displayed "off-screen". Use the tip 5749 to take it back to the visible part of your screen.

Another reason is just a slow file access (apparent freezing) caused by a heavy load of your PC or network, or the source disk or a network resource is temporarily unavailable, or there is an error on the disk media.

Make sure you are using an AutoCAD version compatible with your operating system (e.g. not AutoCAD 2009 in Win7) and a certified graphics card driver.

Or Visit

https://blog.longbowsoftware.com/autocad-file-save-or-file-open-crash/

Message 12 of 13
jcolesRA725
in reply to: jayhar

Another reason is just a slow file access (apparent freezing) caused by a heavy load of your PC or network, or the source disk or a network resource is temporarily unavailable, or there is an error on the disk media.

This sounds like the most accurate description of what is going on.

I tried disabling filedia but that disables the windows from opening, so I can't see what kind of effect it's supposed to have.

There is nothing being displayed off screen, it's just taking a long time for it to load.

It may be worth noting that when the drop down menu finally opens, I can open and close it as many times as I want until I close the window. Then I have to wait again.

Message 13 of 13
BWMcDowell

We are currently having the same issue on 1 machine on our network and only in the autocad software does it hang up no other software(inventor etc)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost