Did you mean: 

Drawing line in mm - how to draw without having to put decimal in

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
dimity.vandiermen
1032 Views, 11 Replies

Drawing line in mm - how to draw without having to put decimal in

This might be really simple and I can't see it.. I am still learning.

But I have my units set in mm. when I go to draw a line and type in 90 (mm) it comes in as 9000mm. when I draw a line and type in 0.09 in comes in as 90mm.

Its really annoying. Anyone know how to change these settings? 

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hi,

>> when I go to draw a line and type in 90 (mm) it comes in as 9000mm

How come ?!! when your input value 90mm , it will draw a line with 90mm total length . would you show us a screencast please ? 

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 3 of 12

Hi Dimity,
Please use Command -DWGUNITS to check your units.
Dave

-DWGUNITS_1.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 12

@dimity.vandiermen wrote:

.... when I go to draw a line and type in 90 (mm) it comes in as 9000mm. when I draw a line and type in 0.09 in comes in as 90mm. .... 

How are you determining that it "comes in as" the wrong length?  Selecting it and looking at the Properties palette?  A LIST command?  Or [my guess] by drawing a Dimension, in a Dimension Style that has a multiplier on the measured distance?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 5 of 12

Hi Dave,

I have tried -DWGUNITS a few times and hasn't made a difference.. 

also changed in Drawing utilities - units as well. 

If you see the screencast - the settings I have applied and then drawing a 90mm line comes in as a 90000mm when I dimension it...

I then draw a line and typed in 0.90 and it came in as a 90mm line when I demission it ...

Anyone had this issue before or knows how to fix?

Message 6 of 12

Hi Kent, I dimension the line to see the length..

Message 7 of 12

please see screencasts, thank you..

Message 8 of 12

Hi Kent, I dimension the line to see the length..

What does the applicable Dimension Style definition have for a linear scale factor?  And if you just select the Line and look at its Properties, or select it under a LIST command, is the length correct?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 9 of 12

It does say 90 in properties anf in LIST command.. (the proportion looks incorrect)...

though what do you mean by -applicable Dimension Style definition have for a linear scale factor?

Message 10 of 12

Since the units are set correctly for the drawing, cross-check if there is a scale factor set in dimension style.

Change the measurement scale of the current dimension style.

1. Enter DIMSTYLE.
  2. In the Dimension Style Manager, select the dimension style to change and click Modify.
  3. Go to the Primary Units tab.
  4. Under Measurement Scale, set the Scale Factor to 1. (See Image below)
  5. Click OK and Close.

dhananjaigopikaD9QET_3-1648442971708.jpeg

Message 11 of 12

I suggest to check DIMLFAC (System Variable) .. >> Click << 

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 12 of 12

It does say 90 in properties anf in LIST command.. (the proportion looks incorrect)...

though what do you mean by -applicable Dimension Style definition have for a linear scale factor?

I assume you mean the one you intended to draw at 90 units long is the one that does say 90 [not the one you tried drawing at 0.09].  But I'm curious about what proportion you say looks incorrect.

The image from @Dhananjai_Gopika is what I was talking about.  I am guessing you had a scale factor of 1000 there.

Another check you can do is to use either the DIST command or the MEASUREGEOM command and its Distance option, and check the distance between the Line's endpoints.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report