Did you mean: 

Drawing is not appering

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
sergiolordelo342V2
528 Views, 8 Replies

Drawing is not appering

Hi there,

I have drawn a drawing in order to use it as a xref file. In fact, in final drawing it appears shown as a xref, but i can't see it when i try to open xref itself again. I have already tried to do a regen, but unsucessefully.

What can be happening? What can i do to solve this problem?

Thank you very much for your attention.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

@sergiolordelo342V2 wrote:

... i can't see it when i try to open xref itself again. I have already tried to do a regen,

How do you "try to open xref itself". Do you use the open command to open that "xrefed" source file or do you some other?

Did you try a Zoom -> Extents? Are the layers ON and Thawed?

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9

Hi,

>> ... but i can't see it when i try to open xref itself again.

Since you can see your attached xref as an xref then you :

• try Zoom >> Extents , if you still can not find it then you have to pan and zoom window to find it.
  • make sure that all of your xref layers are turned ON and Thawed.

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 4 of 9

Hi there,

I understand a xref as an overlay of drawings.

As i make drawings of electrical instalations, first i put the archictectural drawing as a xref, then i start to draw the electrical drawings on top of xref. I used to get open the architectural drawing, even though i knew it was a xref, but this time i didn't get. I would like to improve some things in xref.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 9

Sorry, I don't yet understand what you're doing or want to do. (This may be due to my lack of English).

Yes, a XREF is an underlay in your current drawing and here you can add some Geometry (e.g. electrical installations) over this underlay (e.g. to an architectural drawing). Or also you can control the visibility of some elements of the XREF.

If you want modify some geometry of the XREF, you must either open the Xref and modify or you use the refedit command to do some modifications "on the fly". But in both cases you will change the origin drawing (the architectural drawing).

Now my question (what I don't understand): What happens if you (try to) open the architectural dwg? Is that possible, can you modify this drawing (I doubt that this would be allowed for you)?

What happens if you use the refedit command? Can you see the xrefed geometry, can you modify it? Maybe it is write protected (read only) in some way?
If possible please try to describe more detailed you issue ...

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Still another idea:

Do you xref an (architectural) drawing (eg Drawing A), which itself includes the architectural geometry of a drawing B as XFEF  (nested XREF)?

If so: If Drawing B was xrefed into Drawing A as overlay, you will , if you xref drawing A, not see the geometry of Drawing B. (Thats the sense of XREF as overlay). If you want to see the geometry of drawing B in your current drawing, the drawing B must have been xrefed into drawing A as Attachment.

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 7 of 9

Hi there Jürgen

I start my answer quoting some words that you wrote previously:

"Now my question (what I don't understand): What happens if you (try to) open the architectural dwg? Is that possible, can you modify this drawing (I doubt that this would be allowed for you)?"

That's my real problem. I am open my architectural dwg, but it doesn't appear, because it became invisible.

Thank you.

Message 8 of 9

@sergiolordelo342V2 wrote:

I am open my architectural dwg, but it doesn't appear, because it became invisible.

- Did you check the layer status (all needed layers must be On and Thawed)?

- Did you a Zoom Extents? If so, did you check the visible range of coordinates? (maybe you see a very large area and your geometry was reduced to a small point)

- can you select some geometry using the qselect command? (you should see at least some grips)

- what happens if you change the view direction (Front, Top, Back, ...)

This is all a poking in the fog. I don't still have a firing idea what could be causing your problem ... 😞

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 9 of 9

would you please share with us your CAD drawing for testing ?

Imad Habash

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta