divide line into segments

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
33294 Views, 11 Replies

divide line into segments

hello!

i want to divide a line into segments with specific lengths(like measure command) but i want these segments to be independent of the original line.Capture.PNG

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: Anonymous

Draw a first point at the endpoint of the line. Then use the command arraypath. Follow the instructions in the command line.

If you have further questions, ask again.

Maybe i misunderstood your question. What do you mean with "independent of the original line"? Or do you mean the divide command?

cadder

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

thank you very much,but i have a city containing thousands of lines to use
array path it will take a lot of time if there is an easy way it will be
very helpful..
thank you very much..
Message 4 of 12
j.palmeL29YX

To split a line into any segments with a given length manually

- you need some points at the line (command _measure)

- you have to break the lines at this points (command _break, 1st breakpoint one of the points, 2nd breakpoint the same point again; repeat this at each point - and at each of the lines ;-(  )

If you have thousands of lines to modify this way, I suggest to ask in the LISP forum for a LISP routine to do this. Because there are several ways to do this, describe your intention as exactly as possible.

cadder

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
neaton

The Break command will do what you want but you need to manually select each point which takes time. There are some LISP routines in >>this thread<< that may help.

Nancy

@Anonymouswrote:
thank you very much,but i have a city containing thousands of lines to use
array path it will take a lot of time if there is an easy way it will be
very helpful..
thank you very much..

Message 6 of 12
parkr4st
in reply to: neaton

i want to divide a line into segments with specific lengths(like measure command) but i want these segments to be independent of the original line.

Details needed please.  are the segments all the same length or each segment a particular length?

as for the independent of the original line, copy all the lines and paste the lines into a second layer, then work with dividing on the second layer retaining the original layer intact.

Is this a mapping project?

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: parkr4st

thanks for your reply.
keeping or not the first line doesnot matter.
thanks....
Message 8 of 12
Kent1Cooper

If it were in DIVIDE rather than MEASURE fashion, that is, equal-length segments, I can offer SUBDIVIDE.lsp, with its SD command, available >here<.  That could probably be modified easily enough to work in MEASURE-like fashion.  It would involve COPYing each original object [which can be anything BREAKable, not just Lines] and working on the copy, which is simple enough, whether or not it goes onto a different Layer.  Presumably the User would be asked for the MEASURE length increment, with the same one applied on all objects in the selection?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

thank you very much ,it works as i want ..

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Hello Kent

I wanted to ask you why the Subdivide.lsp doesnt work on my polyline?

The error says: "Nothing selected, or object is not a finite path type, or is on a Locked Layer; try again"

I know this is an old post but i couldnt find newer. Im new to this and any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Message 11 of 12
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

.... why the Subdivide.lsp doesnt work on my polyline?

The error says: "Nothing selected, or object is not a finite path type, or is on a Locked Layer; try again"

Is it in fact a Polyline, not something similar but not Breakable, such as a Leader, or something with no length, such as a Ray or Xline?  Is it in fact on an unlocked Layer?  Is it a top-level  Polyline, not one inside a Block?  Is it on the DEFPOINTS Layer with Layer 0 turned off or frozen?  Post a drawing file, preferably with nothing in it but that.

My current version of that has been edited since the one in the link.  I don't remember what I changed, but in case it makes the difference, try the attached.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

I fixed the problem. Apparently it was something wrong with the layer. I just copied the polyline in a new job and changed the layer and it worker. This works exactly for what i need.

Thank you a lot man.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report