Did you mean: 

distance between two lines/object

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
abishek.t.sharma
27376 Views, 19 Replies

distance between two lines/object

Is there a command to list out the minimum distance between two lines/object?

also, how can I make the distance between objects limit to a certain value? without changing the overall dimensions of the object.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Hi,

>> Is there a command to list out the minimum distance between two lines/object? <<

i doubt that it could be . 

>>  how can I make the distance between objects limit to a certain value?  <<

this is what PARAMETRIC ( Dimensional constraintscan do . >> Click <<

Regards,

Message 3 of 20

Hi,

>> Is there a command to list out the minimum distance

>> between two lines/object?

2D or 3D?

A command _DIST exists, using object snap _ENDPOINT and _PERPENDICULAR (for the second point) can you show the distance between 2 lines.

A general command to find the minimum distance between objects (e.g. 2 nurbs surfaces) does not exist.

>> how can I make the distance between objects limit to a certain value?

You can use parameters to connect objects together, but you can't say/define something like "100, not more".

Where do you need that? Maybe we can find a workaround/alternative workflow for your needs.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 20

I am working on a project in which I have imported few files from illustrator and CorelDRAW

when I send the file to the manufacturer he said the distance between few lines is too small to be cut.

the file is very huge and it would take me days to find all such errors

Message 5 of 20
injineri
in reply to: abishek.t.sharma

is SCALE the whole drawing an option to increase the distance between objects? 

Message 6 of 20
abishek.t.sharma
in reply to: injineri

I am Sorry but no!
Scaling is not an option!

Message 7 of 20

Hi,

>> he said the distance between few lines is too small to be cut

So he seems to have a software that analyses your graphics and finds the critical positions, why not just take his input?

>> the file is very huge and it would take me days to find all such errors

Can you upload hte file and let us know which is the minimum distance necessary?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 20

I am sorry I cannot!

The m,anufacturer pointed out few mistakes but he is not ready to give me the complete data

Message 9 of 20

Hi,

>> I am sorry I cannot!

Do you mean you can't upload the data? If so out of any security reasons or because of technical (upload) reasons?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 20

Security reasons!

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Message 11 of 20

Hi,

>> Security reasons!

Well, any chance to copy a small part of your drawing to a new dwg-file (so we don't see all and we don't see title-blocks with project names, company names, ....) and upload that part?

It's just to see what type of geometry you have and if there exists some ideas on how to get it done.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 12 of 20

Okay!

I am attaching the sample file!

Message 13 of 20
injineri

in DWG I see u can select multiple ellipses and then from properties pallet change there sizes. then gaps between them will increase

Message 14 of 20

Hi,

>> I am attaching the sample file!

Why did you use ellipse instead of circles?

In case you would have only used circles such a tool would be quite easy.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 15 of 20
abishek.t.sharma
in reply to: injineri

the circle there together are basically an image!

I cannot make changes in the properties it will change the image that it represents!

I cannot make any major changes!

Message 16 of 20
injineri

@Alfred.NESWADBA you are right. circles are much easier to modify. in this situation @abishek.t.sharma has to change "minor radius" first from properties panel and than change "major radius" to work resizing of ellipses. but that still would be annoying job to do 😞

Message 17 of 20

They are circle! 

I might have had an error while taking a single part out in Corel Draw!

Sorry for that!

I guess you might have got an idea what exactly is the issue?

Message 18 of 20

Hi,

>> I cannot make any major changes!

Oops, if I understood you correct you need to make changes to get rid of the too small distances.

If that is not allowed, how should the situation be solved?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 19 of 20

The file you posted is essentially a vectorized version of a halftone image.  It is used to produce the appearance of a continuous range of shade with only one color.  Newspapers and traditional offset printing have used the technique for a hundred years.  Today's digital printers and displays rely on a technique known as dithering.  In halftone images the distance between the centers of the dots is a constant.

One technique you could use to check if the distance between circles (ellipses) is greater than some minimum might be to create a grid of lines with a width that equals the minimum clearance.

In the image below I created a horizontal and vertical polyline with a width of 0.5. I then used array and a spacing of 5.9839 (the distance between circle centers) to cover the original drawing.  Finally, I used draworder to place the polylines in back of the circles so you could more easily see where the lines and circles touch. You can change the width of the polylines as required.  I think you can do a fairly quick visual check to see where the problems may be. 

As for changing the offending geometry, it isn't clear what options you are allowed to make the geometry conform.  It would be much better if the geometry were real circles rather than ellipses with equal minor and major axes.  You can edit an ellipse or circle by dragging its grips or editing its parameters in the properties dialog box.

im1.JPGim2.JPG

lee.minardi
Message 20 of 20

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

Why did you use ellipse instead of circles?

In case you would have only used circles such a tool would be quite easy.

A couple of years late, but triggered by a link from another thread, in case it can help in this kind of situation, attached is CircularEllipseToCircle.lsp with its CE2C command.  It converts Ellipses that are circular [axis ratio of 1], and go all the way around, to true Circles.  If necessary, you can change the fuzz factor in the check for the axis ratio:

(equal (cdr (assoc 40 edata)) 1.0 1e-4); circular [equal axes]

change the 4 in 1e-4 to 3, or 2, to convert those a little less precisely circular.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost