Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display hyperlink with text

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
lbs-eeix
2016 Views, 12 Replies

Display hyperlink with text

Is there a way to display the hyperlink text using single or multi line text with a field linked to the object that contains the hyperlink? I know the hyperlink text is displayed when the cursor hovers over the object, but I want a way to show that permanently in the drawing.

Tags (3)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
pendean
in reply to: lbs-eeix

Show examples of your intent please.

Message 3 of 13
imadHabash

Hi,

Hyperlinks aren’t obvious unless you hover the cursor over them. i suggest to underline text to make it look like a hyperlink or put it on a certain layer.

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
lbs-eeix
in reply to: pendean

I'm looking for a way that I could use text to display what the hyperlink description is without having to hover over the block. The block below (A) has an attribute definition in it and the "A" is assigned when the block is inserted, and different hyperlinks are assigned to each instance of the same block. Ideally the text below the block which shows the hyperlink definition could be inserted into that block.

The situation is I'm using these blocks to tag objects in our drawings. The letters correspond to a schedule which describes the object. The blocks are generated automatically and contain hyperlink text which defines what they correspond to. Instead of hovering over the block for the hyperlink text to appear, I just want a way for that to be displayed at all times, essentially pinning the tooltip window that pops up, or with text on a non-plotting layer.

HYPLINK.jpg

Message 5 of 13
ChicagoLooper

@lbs-eeix wrote:

I'm looking for a way that I could use text to display what the hyperlink description is without having to hover over the block. 

@lbs-eeix wrote:

.....I'm using these blocks to tag objects.....

HYPLINK.jpg

Based on what you have described your block with the hyperlink is giving you what you want but not displaying it how you want. If this is correct you need to quit using that block. Yes, ditch that block altogether.

Instead use mtext. You don't necessarily have attach your hyplerlink to a block, you can attach it to mtext too. 

Mtext is capable of holding a hyperlink.Mtext is capable of holding a hyperlink.

In the image above, the 'contents' of the mtext is the actual link itself. 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
lbs-eeix
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Thanks for the suggestion but that wouldn't work. The blocks need to have a certain appearance to them, this is our standard. We also have several different shapes representing different item types.

Now if i was able to take MTEXT, insert a field Object, select the block as object type, and pick hyperlink as a property, that would solve my problem.

Message 7 of 13
ChicagoLooper

In that case, add a second attribute to the block. The second attribute will show the hyperlink's url.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
lbs-eeix

I tried doing that but it won't work either. The hyperlink is tagged on the block after it's inserted in the drawing. 

Message 9 of 13
ChicagoLooper

Sounds like you don't know how to add another attribute to an existing block. Upload your block.

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
lbs-eeix

Attached

Message 11 of 13
ChicagoLooper

You have more issues than you realize. You have only one attribute, create 2 more. One for type, e.g. rocks, trees and a second for the placeholder for the hyperlink.

2-block revised.PNG

3-new block.PNG

Suggestions to improve your block and concerns you should address in your drawing. Address them and you'll be fine.

• Your block is an anonymous block. You can tell by the $ signs in the block's current name. Give it a name, especially if you plan on using it other drawings over a period of time.
  • You have assigned Arial font to Standard Text Style. Create a brand new text style, name it 'Arial' and give it Arial font. Over writing the Standard Text Style with the Arial font will not only cause issues with this block's font but may also create issues with mtext used throughout your drawing when you cut-and-paste. The issue may also surface if you email your drawing to other colleagues or to other firms who have not over written their Standard Text Style with the Arial font.
  • You have combined a block that has a single attribute, ID, with mtext. The current attribute, named ID, is a capital letter such as A, B or C. Examples of the mtext you're using are Rocks and Trees. You should incorporate the mtext as an attribute too just like incorporating the hyperlink's url address as an attribute. In the grand scheme of things, you'll have 3 attributes instead of just one: 1) ID, 2) Type, and 3) Hyperlink. Doing it this way will eliminate the need for the mtext and make using your block more efficient.

The hyperlink is not a common operation in AutoCad drafting, it's a feature capable of things not normally seen, or typically used, in other drawings or other programs. The issues above overshadow the sophistication of your hyperlink. It's like driving a bright red Ferrari 488 Pista to a restaurant and handing the valet your keys when you're wearing a t-shirt, raggedy shorts and flip-flops. 

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
lbs-eeix

Thank you for your time and effort trying to help me, but maybe I haven't been able to explain what my goal is.  

The MTEXT below the block is an example of text I would like to automatically display what the hyperlink description is in the block. It was there merely as an example of what I'm trying to accomplish. 

We have custom programs that generate drawings with blocks(using trees and rocks as examples) and schedules, and callouts (A,B, etc.). These callouts contain hyperlinks for reasons unknown to me, but the hyperlink text (i.e. rocks, trees) corresponds to the item the callout is describing. The callouts need to be positioned next to the item for which they are describing. 

I understand your idea of adding a "type" attribute to the block with the description, 

Ideally, I would like some text which comes in as part of the callout block which displays the hyperlink text to make it much faster to position them. If that is not possible, perhaps a way to keep the tooltip popup windows from disappearing which show what the hyperlink says. 

I tried adding an attribute to the block(yes, I do know how to do that) but cannot find a way to link the attribute in the block to the hyperlink which is assigned to a single inserted instance of the block, not in the block itself. I am aware that you can use fields in text to display object properties, such as the area of a closed poly. I was merely wondering if anyone knew a way to get it to display the hyperlink "text to display".

Even though it's hard(for me at least) to describe, my question is fairly simple: Is there a way to make an attribute in a block that can display the hyperlink text which is applied to a particular individual instance of that block?

Message 13 of 13
ChicagoLooper

OK, thank you explaining, it  sounds interesting. Just so I'm clear, can you please explain what you mean by hyperlink? Your definition of a hyperlink may not be the same as mine. Please also provide 1 or 2 real life true examples of what your hyperlinks are and how a hyperlink is activated by the reader or user.

I am guessing the words Rock and Trees, as you have described, have clickable hyperlinks attached to them. A hyperlink will appear in a call-out when you hover your cursor over 'Rock' or 'Trees' and disappears when your cursor is moved away. Is that correct? You want the call-out with the hyperlink to remain without disappearing or be easily read because hovering your cursor is a PITA. Is that also correct?  

You also mention you use a program, not AutoCad but something else that works with AutoCad, which generates the hyperlink. I'm not clear whether that same program does all items listed below or just a combination of them.

1. generates a block that you specify
  2. puts that block in the correct spot in your drawing--because placing them manually takes too much time
  3. labels the block with a letter such as A or B or Q or R etc.
  4. places a word such as Rock or Trees or Grass etc. next to the block
  5. attaches a hyperlink to Rock or Trees 

If all of the above is true, or part of it is true, then that's a lot of data and Plain vanilla AutoCad may not be a suitable program for this specific task. Many, including me, have done this type of attach-a-lot-of-data-type-work many times. Do you use Vanilla AutoCad or do you use one of the Cad verticals such as Map3D or Civil3D?

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report