Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable creation of dwl/dwl2 files

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
w64bit
2763 Views, 6 Replies

Disable creation of dwl/dwl2 files

How can I disable creation of dwl/dwl2 files?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: w64bit

Hi,

you can't, otherwise AutoCAD would not see that anyone else has that drawing already opened. It's used for file-locking.

What issues do you have with that files?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7
rkmcswain
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

you can't, otherwise AutoCAD would not see that anyone else has that drawing already opened. It's used for file-locking.

A common misbelief, but those files have nothing to do with file locking. They are plain ASCII files used by "WhoHas" command and probably by the Open command. They simply contain the username and hostname of the open drawing.

OP, you used to be able to disable "whohas.arx", but I think this is built into the core product now. I'm not sure and don't have the time at the moment to research further.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: rkmcswain

Hi,

thank you for the information (that this changed with AutoCAD 2013) ... I've missed that.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 7
rkmcswain
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

thank you for the information (that this changed with AutoCAD 2013) ... I've missed that.

Actually, R13 (1997), not R2013.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: rkmcswain

Wow, looks like I was sleeping some years 😉

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 7

I know this an old post but in case someone else is hunting like me.

I know whohas.arx  was around in 2007. If you want to disable in AutoCAD 2015 registry keys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R20.0\ACAD-E001\Applications\AcCoreApp\Commands

WHOHAS

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R20.0\ACAD-E001\Applications\AcCoreApp\Groups

ACORE_WHOHAS

Delete these keys and no more dwl generation. Always backup your registry before changing.

I know they are small files but when you have 100,000's they slow down search indexing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost