Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dimensions not showing

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
hwesley3
8037 Views, 12 Replies

dimensions not showing

I am working in AutoCAD 2016 and trying to place linear dimensions on a floor plan. When I place the dimension the dimension line appears but there is no dimension value, only a tic mark in the center of the dimension string. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
wispoxy
in reply to: hwesley3

Please share a dwg sample.
Message 3 of 13
hwesley3
in reply to: wispoxy

I just did a close up of the dimension line and what I thought was a tick
mark was actually the dimension number showing in super small text.

So now I just need to adjust the text. Can you tell me a good size setting
to use for dimension text in model space, and also what command I would use
to change the dimension text size.

thanks,

--
Wesley Horne
New York School of Interior Design
Message 4 of 13
wispoxy

Change your font size with DIMSTYLE and, or STYLE.

Look for Text Height

Message 5 of 13
BeKirra

"a good size setting to use for dimension text in model space"

Before answering your question, there are couple of factors you may consider:

1) Using "layout" - do you use "layout" for drawings?

2) Drawing Scale - how do you setup a drawing scale?

3) Create New Dimension Style - I suggest you create a new dimension style in your case.

"what command I would use to change the dimension text size"

Change the value of system variable "dimtxt" for dimension text size.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 6 of 13
dany_rochefort

Text height basics:

At a scale of 1:1 you should use a text height of 2.5pts if you are using isoCP. 1.8pts if you are using Roman S.

At a scale of 1:10 you should use a text height of 25pts if you are using isoCP. 18pts if you are using Roman S.

At a scale of 1:100 you should use a text height of 250pts if you are using isoCP. 180pts if you are using Roman S.

Always multiply the text height @ scale of 1:1 by desired scale. That way you maintain text height conformity for different scale drawings. That is the key to consistency. Same goes for arrow sizes... Moreso, try to always write in CAPS, the text will be easier for everone to read. 

Avoid heavy fonts like Arial, as multiple photocopies of Arial fonts eventually becomes smuged and unreable...

Any other questions? Let me know...

cheers

Message 7 of 13
dany_rochefort
in reply to: BeKirra

1) Its clearly written Model space.
2) Assume it is 1:1 as other scale are multiplied by the text height specifed at 1:1
3) Why do you suggest creating a new dimstyle ?

First you need to read and understand the post, 2nd you should answer the post only if you know the answer; rather than ramble on about something other than the question. 

Message 8 of 13
BeKirra
in reply to: dany_rochefort

Actually, hwesley3 has 2 threads with similar questions in this forum and he wants to change dim text size, right?

The drawing he was working on is from 3rd party, right?

Based on all he mentioned, I suspect that he is not familiar with drawing scale. Without seeing the actual drawing, you don't know if the creator of the original drawing was using the dimension style on layout, right?

Furthermore, a lot of people don't create objects on 1:1 scale in model space. Do you know this? You can't simply "assume" everything drawn in model space are on 1:1 scale, especially before you see his drawing.

I was trying to help him clarify the real issues by asking couple of questions.

And if he has difficulty for modifying someone else dimension style, it would be much better to create a new dimension style.

Do you know much on dimension style? Do you know how to setup drawing scale? Do you know how to use dimension styles on layout? Do you understand the real issues behind his questions?

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 9 of 13
dany_rochefort

Text height basics is the first thing they teach you in drafting school. Did you miss that class ? I've set up thousands of templates for various companies and i know BS when i read it...

Message 10 of 13
BeKirra

Text height issues can mean a lot. Similarly you can't say running nose is only the symptom of flu. Can you? - You were not a good student if you learned drafting at school.

There is no matter how many drawing templates you have done. It is only the matter if you have understood the basis of drafting.

X² + Y² = C²
Message 11 of 13
dany_rochefort

I have an Industrial Drafting diploma from a technical college, i've built bridges, buildings, hydro-electric dams and naval ships....

What is your diploma and what have you buillt ? 

Message 12 of 13
drjohn

Calm blue ocean ... calm blue ocean. Disscuss, plz ... don't argue.

Take the emotion out of your reading of the posts.  Look at the basis of the post.  Not everyone does it the same way.

Regards,

DJ

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 13 of 13
jackshield

The best answer I can give is dimstyle command.

it will globally scale all the elements of your dimension.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost