Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different line thickness depending on printed as a PDF or straight thru Autocad.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
3268 Views, 7 Replies

Different line thickness depending on printed as a PDF or straight thru Autocad.

Hi!

The thickness of the lines becomes different depending on if I plot it as a PDF first or printing it straight from AutoCad. It doesn't matter what PDF-software I use. All the lines becomes almost the same thickness while printing it as a PDF, but when I print it from AutoCad directly the lines have way more different thickness, as I want it to be. All the settings such as lineweights in the "plot style table editor" seems to be the same for both Adobe PDF, DWG to PDF.pc3 and my plotter. The "Plot options" boxes are ticked in the same and "Scale lineweights are unticked on all the plotters. Plot style table are set to monochrome on all of them.

Thanks for the help!
/Joakim

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Erense
in reply to: Anonymous

Joakim,

I have experienced the same behaviour with text when the text has a Z-Value that differs from other objects.

Plotting with AutoCAD gives 'normal' text, plotting to PDF gives thicker texts.

Can you verify if the Z-Value difference is there?

If you need the difference to persist i dont have a solution, if the difference does not need to be there matbe setting all to the same Z-value can help.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,

Edwin Rense
Cadac Group AEC BV
Supporting Consultant AEC
Cadac Group .
Message 3 of 8
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I haven't experienced this before. @Erense suggestion of the Z value is interesting.

Do you have a sample file for me to try? Please eTransmit and attach to a post if possible.

If I understand correctly, 

• Print to your hardware device and lightweights plot correctly
  • Print to PDF and lightweights are ignored.

Which PDF viewer are you using?

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 8
dgorsman

Just to confirm - you plot directly to a full size hard-copy, and the lineweights are correct?  And you print to the same size paper as PDF, and the lineweights are *not* correct?  Is the PDF "wrong" when viewed on screen, or only when printed?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Here I send you the files that behaves this way.
M-30 is the "main file" and M-Underlag SitPlan shall be attached. 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

Exactely correct @dgorsman, I dont think it is correct while wieving it in the PDF reader eather.

Cheers for trying to help me guys!

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Yeah @john.vellek you are correct about my problem with the lineweights!

I have tried both Adobe and Bluebeam as PDF readers.

@Erense Yeah I have experienced the same with text before, I shall see if the problem is the same here but with the lines as you said!

Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

As always the problem is because of my thinking and not because of the program, computer or printer..

The reason it became like this was because I printed it to PDF as paper size A1 and then printed it on my hardware printer as a A3 and the obviously all the lineweights becomes scales down and therefore you cant really tell the difference between them. But when I print it straight from autocad the lines keeps ther lineweight the same even tho I print it as a A3 and the paper space in the "Page set up" for paper wiev is set to A1?

Cheers for trying to help me though, my bad!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report