Did you mean: 

Data Extraction to third party spreadsheet

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
CalamityJane32
300 Views, 2 Replies

Data Extraction to third party spreadsheet

Hi All,

I've been tasked with simplifying a few work processes we have. One being streamlining the BOM / Takeoff / Estimating process for our client. 

I'm currently playing around with data extraction in autocad. More specifically with calculating lengths and quantities of various design elements for costing. For instance, how many metres of Thrie Beam, how many metres of SA / SB /SF / SM Kerb etc, How many metres of Cyclist safety barrier.. you get the picture. 

I've managed to get my data extraction to the point where its telling me total lengths per layer (each layer denotes a different feature) however its linking those totals to the costing spreadsheet where my knowledge runs out. 

Is it possible? Or am I going about this the wrong way? Should I be extracting the data to a spreadsheet and then linking THAT data into the third party spreadsheet. If so / how do I ensure the fields map correctly in the event that a data extraction ends up with more / less layers and the fields move?

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TheCADnoob
in reply to: CalamityJane32

When it comes to creating process and procedures you have to remember that the successful procedure is the one that works and is repeatable. I say this cause I have created several workflows that don't survive the awful things that happen to our drawings during the design cycle. You have to take into consideration other workflows and the culture of the people using the workflows. 

For our purposes I tend to extract to a spread and then use the spread sheet to do the calculating. But we frequently tailer these outputs to very different ends. It is a little bothersome, but for me its easier than to chase problems cause by designers breaking links or trying to work in strange demands from the client. 

You can link a table to an external file, but in my experience you have to have tight control of the users and the processes involved. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 3 of 3

One method you could use ......

Washingtonn_0-1692749423837.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report