data extraction to database

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jperl312
831 Views, 6 Replies

data extraction to database

Hello,

I have a .dwg with blocks inserted in a sort a (cross) table (see attachement). Is it possible to extract the data of the blocks by using the geometrical data of the blocks (X, Y), and insert it in a database like ex. Access? Also if it is possible, that the database would be up-to-date if i modify the .dwg or vice-versa?

It would be a huge help for me and my company because now we need to modify 4 or 5 different .dwg's like this one to be up-to-date... it would be great if i could just have 1 central database.

Thanx

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
john.vellek
in reply to: jperl312

HI @jperl312,

I am looking at your drawing and I suspect that using a simple DATALINK to Excel would be more efficient than connecting to a database with DBCONNECT.

Do you have any experience with either of these features? Look at the links I provided and let me know your thoughts. I am happy to work with you to find a solution that best fits your needs and workflow.

Here is a webinar on database connectivity with AutoCAD. 

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 7
jperl312
in reply to: john.vellek

hi John,

Thank you for your response.

DATALINK would be great for new data, but in my case its allot amount of existing data in dwg format in block format. So what i need, is a way to exctract the existing data to a database and recognising/identify the type of data by geometrical values...

Regards

Message 4 of 7
cadwomen

Hy

if no Need for a database ? may this will work for you to

http://www.lee-mac.com/macatt.html

cu cw

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
Message 5 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @jperl312,

I am still looking this issue. I think it would take a lot of work to link each block into a database. Probably more than it is worth.

I tried combining some of the blocks into a single block that could be copied from line to line of your "table".

Capture.PNG

Then I copied it into your table a few times with dummy data. I then performed a DataExtraction and placed it into a table in the drawing.

Next I added one more block to the table and then I updated the extraction and the table automatically added the change.

Capture2.PNG

Then to take this a bit further, I rt-clicked on the table and exported it to Excel.

Then I created a Datalink in AutoCAD to the spreadsheet and inserted a Table based upon this link.

Now, If I wanted, I could edit the values in Excel and have the table in AutoCAD update. I have seen some customers format the Excel file so well that they could use this for the actual documentation in AutoCAD.

Perhaps some of these steps will get you closer. I have attached my files for you to investigate.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 6 of 7
john.vellek

HI @jperl312,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem or if you need additional assistance or information. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 7 of 7
ara_neresesian

hi

I think with DATAEXTRACTION command you can get what you want, in geometry you can select position for x y and z

for attblock .

but if you want to change position of your block by attin you need a lisp file to make that happens.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost