Did you mean: 

cycle through layers does not work anymore

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
ernstQ9LLC
966 Views, 12 Replies

cycle through layers does not work anymore

Hi,

the following error occurs: Normally i can select some lines and objects and then i select another layer in the drop down menu of layers. (it then changes the layer of my selected objects in real time + color changes + layer type etc.) but on this machine the layer drop down window just closes and the selected objects stay on the same layer like before  as soon as i hover over another layer. Same thing happens if i try that with hatches. So i have to change them via the properties window. Does anyone have a clue what could cause this Situation?

im using Auto cad 2020 64bit with Athena 2019 on Windows 10.

Labels (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
vinodkl
in reply to: ernstQ9LLC

Hi,

Usually this happen when the PICKFIRST variable is set to 0. Type in the command "PICKFIRST" and set it to "1". Now try changing the layer from the layer dropdown🙂 Hope it solves your problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ವಿನೋದ್ ಕೆ ಎಲ್( System Design Engineer)

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 13
ernstQ9LLC
in reply to: vinodkl

thank you for your fast reply.

Sadly that only changed the situation that after i try to change the layer, the objects look like they are deselected. (because pickfist "1" was set i tried to see the difference to "0") but as soon as i click the object again it shows the previously selection.

pickfirst variable was already set to 1

Message 4 of 13
vinodkl

Hi,

Could be a temporal issue. Can you try restarting your system and see it goes away. If it doesn't help can you download  the free tool Screencast from Autodesk from here to record your screen and share it so that we see what's going on your end?

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if my reply resolves the issue or answers your question, to help others in the community.
Message 5 of 13
ernstQ9LLC

HI,

here i tried to create that screencast thing when trying to select another layer, i hope it helps to analyse the problem.

Message 6 of 13
ernstQ9LLC

Here is the screencast.

Message 7 of 13
imadHabash

Hi,

if you turn OFF hardware acceleration from GRAPHICSCONFIG command , any changes ? 

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
ernstQ9LLC
in reply to: imadHabash

Hi imadHabash,

i turned off the hardware acceleration after using graphicsconfig command
but i didn't notice any difference except the arrows and measurement lines
looked like hatches now. But the window closing still happens unfortunately.

I tried to post a screencast but i think the embedd link didnt work so maybe
this link helps somehow:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/de/community/screencast/a9986c05-294a-475d-b9
bc-2db30bdc3a0a
Message 9 of 13
vinodkl

Hi,

Have you tried restarting your system and see if the problem goes away?

Also, check if your AutoCAD 2020 is updated to the latest version. If not update it. Still, if it doesn't solve your problem then reset AutoCAD to defaults. Here is how you can do that "click here"

Message 10 of 13
pendean

What is "with Athena 2019" mean to the rest of us?
Can you unload it to test AutoCAD 2020 without it?

Do you have the 2020.1.3 update installed? ABOUT command will confirm if you do or not, it is required.
Message 11 of 13
ernstQ9LLC
in reply to: pendean

Hi, restarting the Computer didn't help.

I acutally cannot unload Athena. It's an addon to place metal objects as blocks.

But even before i had to install that Extension the AutoCAD behavior was like listed above.

I know that this Scrolling through layers and hatches should work, because everywhere else (Computer of working colleagues ) it's working.

Message 12 of 13
timothy_crouse

So here is a hail mary

I have had to tweak the aperture system var to get better selection performance in 2020.

I doubt it relates to the UI but its worth a shot.

Try setting it to 10.

The problem could be related to the GUI only (UI interface behavior)

Try changing the resolution of your screen (for the test)  Make the resolution a bit larger to give the mouse icon more area to work when you are selecting items off a menu.

-Tim C.

Message 13 of 13
ernstQ9LLC
in reply to: timothy_crouse

Hi,

aperture variable changed from 3 to 10 to 20 to 50 neither of that worked.

i also think it is a mix between hardware or gpu problem with this video card and maybe this athena program configuration.

so i think i will have to live with the current way to change it via properties window instead of the common way 😞

thank you anyways for you help 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report