Custom linetype with filled entities

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
carredondo89
2809 Views, 9 Replies

Custom linetype with filled entities

Hi.

I am trying to create a custom line type with a filled entity. I have tried to do it in several ways but none works. The idea is to have a result similar to that of the image.

filled entity.PNG

There is some way to do it. Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi,

an SHX definition can't have a "filling", so best you can do to create concentric circles with different radius which then shows the symbol like it would be filled.

20181122_202414.png

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

You can use text in your linetype. Wingdings has a filled circle character: wingdings.JPG

Here are some threads with similar linetypes to the one you are after - you should be able to combine the two to make a dashed line with filled dots in.

Linetype with dots

Dashed linetype with diamonds

Message 4 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> You can use text in your linetype. Wingdings has a filled circle character

As you replied to my post ... I would  avoid the usage of Text in linetypes as long as possible, especially for special characters or fonts.

Reason is quite simple, you can't load a linetype if a textstyle (with the name defined in the .LIN-file) is not defined in the current dwg-file. In that case you'll get that message:

20181123_121539.png

I'm quite sure that not every AutoCAD user can handle that message 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 10
carredondo89

Hi marianne.mcdonald, thank you very much for your reply.

I tried to use the fill character as a circle, but it is not included in the selection when creating the line type, as the following image illustrates.

3 Objects found.PNG

It is possible that it is my mistake, for which I would like to have a brief step-by-step process of the proper procedure.

I'll be waiting, thank you very much.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: carredondo89

Hi @carredondo89,

I think you are trying to use AutoCAD's tool to make a linetype from geometry? I am not sure why it's not selecting the text for you - perhaps it only allows you to use lines & circles etc to make linetypes with that tool, not text.

Anyway the following should work for you:

1. Create a textstyle in your drawing called "Wingdings" with font=wingdings, width factor=1.0, height=0wingding style.JPG

2. Find the location of you acad.lin or acadiso.lin file with this command including the brackets (findfile="acad.lin") or (findfile="acadiso.lin") Note: Acadiso.lin is the file if you work in metric, acad.lin if you work in imperial

3. Open the .lin file in Notepad and copy these lines into the end of the file under "User defined line types"

*Filled Circle Requires Wingdings, Filled Circle ---O---O---
A,2,-1,["l",WINGDINGS,S=1.2,R=0.0,X=0.0,Y=-0.55],-1.5

Make sure there is a blank line at the end of the file or it won't work.

4. Save your .lin file.

5. Load the linetype (see my picture here)linetype.JPG

Your linetype should then be loaded in your drawing to select. You might need to play about with the ltscale to make it display how you like, here's how it looks in my drawing:dashed circles.JPG

Message 7 of 10

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

... create concentric circles with different radius which then shows the symbol like it would be filled.

20181122_202414.png

Here's a way to do that, similar to the proportions in the original image.

Shape definition, added to YourShapeFileName.SHP:

*145,33,CIRC5
2,010,1,10,(1,000),2,010,1,10,(2,000),2,010,1,10,(3,000),2,010,1,10,(4,000),2,010,1,10,(5,000),2,058,0

COMPILE that file into YourCompiledShapeFileName.SHX.  Linetype definition:

*DOTSFILLED,--o---o---o---o---o---o--
A,3.25,-.75,[CIRC5,YourCompiledShapeFileName.shx,s=.1],-.75

[Call the shape and/or the linetype something different if you want.]

These definitions make dots of 5 concentric circles with a 1-drawing-unit diameter for the outermost one, spaced at 5 drawing units, like this:

DotsFilled.PNG

It could be made with more and more-closely-spaced circles, if this doesn't result in "filled" looking dots with the lineweight you would use for such things.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 8 of 10
carredondo89

Greetings.
This worked well in our case, accepted as a solution. Thank you!

Message 9 of 10
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

A,2,-1,["l",WINGDINGS,S=1.2,R=0.0,X=0.0,Y=-0.55],-1.5

That could use some fine-tuning to get the dots in the middle  of the gaps.  The following revision equalizes the piece of gap on either side, and back-shifts the text character by half its height from the nominal insertion point, to put it in the middle of the gap:

A,2,-1.25,["l",WINGDINGS,S=1.2,X=-0.56,Y=-0.55],-1.25

You will also find this approach has a better result in the positioning of the dots on curves, with the difference being more apparent the tighter the radius is, not only in centering between the ends of the gap, but also in centering in the other direction, on the route of the path object [note the original's dots being somewhat outboard  from being centered on the Arc]:

DotLinetype.PNG

[Also, there's no need to include a Rotation term at all, if it's zero.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

Thanks @Kent1Cooper - my linetype was hacked together from a few different similar ones so glad you could fine tune it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report