Did you mean: 

Custom Hatch Pattern - LVT

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
trEQ4GG
634 Views, 21 Replies

Custom Hatch Pattern - LVT

Hello!

I am trying to create a custom hatch pattern for a 6.25" x 42" LVT plank with a 33% offset. For whatever reason, I have had extreme difficulty creating custom hatches and getting ahold of autodesk to trouble shoot over the phone has been difficult. I am not sure why it doesn't work out for me. I have attached a screen shot of the protocols we follow at work that USED to work for me. Below is what I have put into the .pat file, yet its not there when I open cad up again...

*LVT 6.25x42 33% Offset, LVT Pattern
0, 0,0, 14,6.25, 42,0
90, 0,0, 6.25,14, 6.25,-12.5

it was saved as "LVT 6.25x42 33% Offset"

Thanks for the assistance!

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: trEQ4GG

Try it without the pen-down/pen-up numbers at the end of the first line.  I think I've seen the same problem before -- that it doesn't like a zero-length pen-up, which in any case should be negative.  Those lines are continuous anyway -- no need for pen-down/pen-up.

*LVT 6.25x42 33% Offset, LVT Pattern
0, 0,0, 14,6.25
90, 0,0, 6.25,14, 6.25,-12.5

You might be interested in RunningBondHPG.lsp, >here<, which can construct the pattern definition of something like that for you.  You just give it the element size and the amount of stagger you want.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 3 of 22
pendean

Is this the error you get, or is it something else? You never quite show it

pendean_0-1716313391667.png

Just change the name of the pattern and file, see attached inside the ZIP file, it works great

pendean_0-1716313654383.png

Message 4 of 22
trEQ4GG
in reply to: pendean

I don't get any errors, the hatch pattern simply won't appear in my custom hatches via the folder path I put it in. Once I put the custom hatch in the folder, it will be available upon opening autocad next. This custom hatch file won't even show up in autocad as an option to use. 

Message 5 of 22
pendean

@trEQ4GG wrote:

I don't get any errors, the hatch pattern simply won't appear in my custom hatches via the folder path I put it in. Once I put the custom hatch in the folder, it will be available upon opening autocad next. This custom hatch file won't even show up in autocad as an option to use. 

See the other half of my earlier reply: works great after the change

pendean_0-1716313850265.png

Message 6 of 22
pendean
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

@Kent1Cooper wrote:

...I think I've seen the same problem before...

A week or so ago, turns out it was a file naming convention only TILE_3x12_33Offset.pat

Message 7 of 22
Kent1Cooper

@pendean wrote:

..... turns out it was a file naming convention only....

Ah, yes.  In a pattern defined in its own file, the file name and the pattern name must be the same, so if something like their % sign is not allowed in both AutoCAD Hatch pattern names and computer File names, it won't fly.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 8 of 22
trEQ4GG

The file you gave, I put into my custom hatch folder, and it doesn't appear in autocad still. I wish I could screenshot the menu to show that it is not there, but the menu is dependent on you staying in the hatch command. 

Message 9 of 22
trEQ4GG

This solution did not work, as for the running bond file, that is extremely in depth and a little confusing to follow, I don't know where to start to edit it...

Message 10 of 22
trEQ4GG

Okay, here is a file of a custom hatch pattern created that WORKS...I'm literally doing the same thing as this file yet I am met with consistent issues. 

Message 11 of 22
pendean

@trEQ4GG wrote:

The file you gave, I put into my custom hatch folder, and it doesn't appear in autocad still.

You have to choose CUSTOM

pendean_0-1716315041840.png

@trEQ4GG wrote:

...I wish I could screenshot the menu to show that it is not there, but the menu is dependent on you staying in the hatch command. 

Your keyboard has a PRINTSCR or PRINTSCREEN or PRT SC button, use that then paste into AutoCAD or MSWord or Windows Paint.... .

Message 12 of 22
TheCADnoob

When i changed the Hatch and file name to LVT, it worked with no issues. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 13 of 22
pendean

@trEQ4GG wrote:

Okay, here is a file of a custom hatch pattern created that WORKS...I'm literally doing the same thing as this file yet I am met with consistent issues. 

There is no

in the name

pendean_0-1716315168035.png

Message 14 of 22
trEQ4GG

That is because the size is 6"x36" not 6.25"x36". I am trying to create a 6.25"x42" LVT pattern. I should be able to follow the custom hatch instructions I have been using with no issues. I gave that file as an example to show that I name things with a % and save them with a % and it works. 

Message 15 of 22
trEQ4GG
in reply to: TheCADnoob

LVT is in the name and the file name for the original hatch I created. here is what I am trying to create and its not working.

Message 16 of 22
Kent1Cooper

@trEQ4GG wrote:

This solution did not work, as for the running bond file, that is extremely in depth and a little confusing to follow, I don't know where to start to edit it...

It may have not worked because of invalid characters in the pattern / file name.

The running-bond file is not for you to edit [except for the file path] -- it's not a pattern, but a pattern generator.  Load it, enter the RBHPG command name, and answer a few questions, and it will build the pattern definition and the file for it.  [But do the editing needed for the filepath you want it to use.]  It made the attached in seconds.  You have your choice of whether the 1/3 stagger goes left or right.

It comments that [the reason for @pendean's post about this] a period is not accepted as part of a pattern name, and / is not in a file name, which is why it substitutes other characters, so that the same name can serve for both [they must match].

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 17 of 22
TheCADnoob

@trEQ4GG wrote:

LVT is in the name and the file name for the original hatch I created. here is what I am trying to create and its not working.

When i change the name to just "LVT" the hatch works (both of them). There is something with the name that its not happy with. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 18 of 22
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: TheCADnoob

@TheCADnoob wrote:
..... There is something with the name that its not happy with. 

Again, it's the period/decimal-point in it.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 19 of 22
TheCADnoob

@Kent1Cooper wrote:

@TheCADnoob wrote:
..... There is something with the name that its not happy with. 

Again, it's the period/decimal-point in it.

agreed. Just trying to illustrate that changing the name is a simple way to nail down the cause. 

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 20 of 22
TheCADnoob

something else that may be causing you issues is adding the last line break. Make sure that you have a carriage return to the last line in your file. You cursor should be on the next line with no chars in it. 

TheCADnoob_0-1716318105799.png

CADnoob

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups