Did you mean: 

Ctrl+O Command and "Open File" causes AutoCAD 2018 to crash

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ptothFJUF9
1265 Views, 6 Replies

Ctrl+O Command and "Open File" causes AutoCAD 2018 to crash

I am having issues with AutoCAD 2018 freezing/crashing. Whenever I use the Ctrl+O command to open a file, or the Home Tab "Open" to open a file, AutoCAD just freezes for a bit and then crashes. Is this just a simple glitch that needs a full restart to fix? Or is there something else that can be done in order to keep it from happening again? Thanks!!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
john.vellek
in reply to: ptothFJUF9

Hi @ptothFJUF9,

I am sorry this happening to your AutoCAD 2018.

Does this still occur if you create a new user account on your computer that has full administrator permissions?

Are you willing to perform a Repair from the Windows Control Panel>Programs and then a Reset Settings to Default?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 7
ptothFJUF9
in reply to: john.vellek

Thanks @john.vellek !! I have not tried to use a new account with full admin permission, yet. I will try that shortly! My fear with this is that if it's not user-related, it won't really fix anything.

When resetting Settings to Default, what is lost? Just the personal settings I have made in ACAD 2018?

Message 4 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @ptothFJUF9

Yes, this could be a damaged profile or a permissions problem - it is worth creating the new account to see.  A Reset will give you the option of backing up your customizations in the process.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @ptothFJUF9,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

We use Autocad 2004 in our office, and it usually works great for what we do, but since Windows 10 has come along I spent too much time chasing issues after updates. Our former IT team could not migrate my network user profile, but after I logged into Google Chrome my profile was back. In recent months our IT cut off Chrome updates, and now my Autocad crashes when I open drawings using the pull down menu, and control O command. At least they were consistent with it, since all 3 of our engineering dept. pcs now crash for same...

Message 7 of 7
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Win10 over the last couple of months has started to mess with older licenses file and triggering the need to reauthorize, which Autodesk killed off as of August 31 2019: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/simplecontent/content/previous-ver...

You all be ready for the end PC by PC at somepoint and have a game plan ready for what is next right now. Hope that's not for a long time for you folks but it could be tomorrow. 

AutoCAD2004 not supported in Win10 explanation is here http://autode.sk/1IY4C2X

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost