Did you mean: 

Create Rectangular Tube in 3D from 2D Surfaces

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
arlindUHQ5W
171 Views, 7 Replies

Create Rectangular Tube in 3D from 2D Surfaces

Hi everyone,

I'm new to AutoCAD and need some help with creating a 2D/3D model of a square tube with dimensions 60mm x 60mm and a length of 1000mm.

Specifically, I want to be able to draw on all four surfaces of the tube . My idea was to draw a 60mm x 60mm rectangle, extrude it to 1000mm, and then add lines or sketches to the surfaces

Is there any better aproach like a  way to draw all the surfaces in 2D first and then combine/add them into the 3D model,?

autocad.png

Additionally, if I have a 60mm diameter pipe (length 1000mm), I want to create a 2D rectangle (188.4mm x 1000mm, using the formula 60mm * π) and then convert it into a 3D pipe afterward.

autocad2.png

Labels (4)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
changmarin
in reply to: arlindUHQ5W

Hi,

The only work around I´ve found is to model the surfaces with PLANESURF and unite them with SURFSCULPT.

Set SURFV and SURFU to 0 first in order to avoid mesh display.

Ch.-
Message 3 of 8
j.palmeL29YX

- Draw your tube as 3DSolid. 

- Set UCSDETECT to 1. 

- If you now start to draw any object (line, pline, circle, ellipse, text, ... whatever you want) and hover your cursor over any of the 6 surfaces of the solid, the XY-plane of the UCS will be automatically aligned to this face. 

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
j.palmeL29YX

@arlindUHQ5W wrote:

I have a 60mm diameter pipe (length 1000mm), I want to create a 2D rectangle (188.4mm x 1000mm, using the formula 60mm * π) and then convert it into a 3D pipe afterward.

I don't understand what you want to do or to achieve. 

A hint: while drawing you can calculate any values using the 'cal command (one of several ways to use formula during drawing). But as said above, I'm not sure what you really need. 

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
dbroad

@j.palmeL29YX has a good suggestion.

Another approach is to choose the 3d modeling workspace (on taskbar).  Start a new drawing using the acad3d.dwt.  Extrude the shape from a rectangle or circle or use the box or cylinder command.

Use the viewbase features to do the 2d documentation in a layout (associative dimensioning contines to work through changes) or use flatshot to create each view in model space (must use 3d viewing and coordinate system changes for that).

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 6 of 8
arlindUHQ5W

example the drawing on the left is surface of cylinder that is on the right. since i cant draw those cyrcle on solid cylinder i preffer to do that on flat surface and then wrap that to  the cylinder 

Message 7 of 8
j.palmeL29YX

I must ask again what you want to achieve: 

Do you really want to wrap the 2D-geometry (e.g. the circles) to (or around an existing) cylinder? You see what will happen. 

(BTW: For the moment I don't know a way how to do that in AutoCAD)

Or do you need projected circles on the cylinder (as if there were cylindrical holes)? If so, you can easily build such holes directly in the 3D(solid) object. 

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
arlindUHQ5W
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

I’m trying to draw square tubes (with some fillets) and cylinders (pipes) for cutting with a fiber laser, but I'm struggling with it.

I can draw plates and cut them on the fiber laser using 2D DXF files, but for tubes, I need IGS files, so I have to create a solid 3D model.

What I was thinking is to first draw the shapes on a flat surface and then turn those into a solid object. For square tubes, I was considering drawing the shape on four sides and then making that into a solid box-like object.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta