Crash when selecting HATCH or editing TEXT objects on server

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
zacharymoore
1910 Views, 7 Replies

Crash when selecting HATCH or editing TEXT objects on server

Hello,

At my office, we are experiencing a major malfunction with AutoCAD and server based files. I believe it is due to a server restructuring that occurred last week and we are having troubles since then.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Basically, on some drawings, all I need to do is select a HATCH object (of any size) and AutoCAD crashes. The same behavior is exhibited when editing an MTEXT object or, say, a dimension TEXT. I was also able to recreate the crash by typing STYLE, trying to edit the text STANDARD template, and essentially anything having to do with "simplex.shx."

Please if you have any advice, we'd love to get this resolved.

Best,
Zach

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: zacharymoore

I don't think the two are related unless the following test also recreates the crash: most the file to your PC, disconnect from the server/network (unplug the cable) and try to repeat.

Let us know.
Message 3 of 8
zacharymoore
in reply to: pendean

Hi,

Yes, I meant to mention that we have tried this as a test.

When moving the files locally there is no crash. We are seeing issues in other softwares (Revit, InDesign) as well, which suggests it's an issue with our server.

Thanks,
Zach

Message 4 of 8
pendean

What does 'server restructuring" mean?
What were the changes exactly?
And have you engaged your IT team and what have they recommended (I'm assuming that's not you but I'm not sure).
Message 5 of 8
zacharymoore

AFAIK, the restructuring was simply moving files/folders to new locations. I would never do this but, hey, they did it...

It's just strange that HATCHes and MTEXTs would be effected by folder reorg on the server. I have not been able to find any information about the "location" of these objects settings (e.g. simplex.shx), to know if they exist on the server or not.

It's also helpful to know that the issue is not seen across all projects. I have been able to work on another project without crashing.

I attached an image of the crash report.

Message 6 of 8
pendean

OPTIONS command's FILES tab will show all pathed locations for items and categories AutoCAD finds important.

Perhaps more damaging were all the User Profiles in Windows/Server that got affected? If you all create an all new user (pretend it's a new hire, do not copy or edit an existing user's credentials), with admin rights, and test do the crashes persist?
Message 7 of 8
zacharymoore

Yes this will be a question I have for our IT.

It sounds like it has a small part to do with AutoCAD and is a server issue.

I'll keep tossing ideas at our IT department until we get it resolved.

Best,
Zach

Message 8 of 8
CADdaddy.com

Hi Zach,

I have a client that is having very similar issues with HATCH and MTEXT. I was wondering if you were ever able to figure out the cause?  In my case the client is running AutoCAD on a Mac running Parallels.  The files are stored one one of the client's Mac computers thus the file server is not on native Windows platform.  The shared fonts and hatches are stored on the Mac server...not locally.

James LeVieux

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report