Changing properties of 1 item on a list of editable attributes

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
MarkFitz
267 Views, 11 Replies

Changing properties of 1 item on a list of editable attributes

Evening everyone!

OK, so this time I'm more than a little stumped.  My title block is made up from editable attributes, so all I need to do is click 1 of the text items, and the list comes up.  I edit my details for my new drawing, click OK, and everything shows perfectly aligned within its space, and we move on to the next drawing, right?

We're in the middle of implementing a new drawing number system, globally, so our drawing numbers have to be a few characters longer than the old ones.  Unfortunately, this has put us outside of the box with the drawing number (see attached - "1-01"on the right side, "WAX" on the left side).  Is there any way I can adjust the width of the text for just that part, and not affect the other attributes?

Thanks everyone!

Mark

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
rculp
in reply to: MarkFitz

Redefine the block, making the attribute width narrower, and then ATTSYNC the block.  How many files using the old titleblock need to be changed??

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 3 of 12
rculp
in reply to: rculp

or you could monkey with the width of the attribute (bearing in mind an ATTSYNC would return the default width)

(setq attwd 1.0)
(defun c:AEW ()
(command ".undo" "begin")
   (setvar "cmdecho" 0)
(IF (SETQ NATTWD (getreal (STRCAT "\nNew Attribute Width Scale Factor:  <" (RTOS attwd 2 2) ">: ")))
        (setq attwd nattwd)
)
   (setq
       temp1 (NENTSEL "\N Select Attribute")
       temp2 (car temp1)
       temp (entget temp2)
       oldwd (assoc 41 temp)
       newwd (cons 41 attwd)
       newtext (subst newwd oldwd temp)
   )
   (entmod newtext)
   (entupd temp2)
 (princ)
(command ".undo" "end")
 (princ)
)
But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 4 of 12
john.vellek

Hi Mark,

Can you attach a sample file for me or email to me? @rculp is correct that ATTSYNC should be able to do this as well as BATTMAN. I am happy to take a look at this for you.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 5 of 12
MarkFitz
in reply to: rculp

Morning Guys!

I know by merely saying this that I'm about to **** myself, but...

I know this isn't a one-off, but they should be rare, as the old drawings are being updated as we met them with a whole new border, not just a new title block.  This is a special type of drawing we have, a small fraction of the whole, and the request is an urgent one, so I'm trying to fudge my way through this one this time, once done, I can take time re-evaluating a new border, etc. and re-align the text and everything, but for right now, I need a quick fix.  I'll give this a try and report back.

Thanks guys!

Mark

P.S.  I always get a smile when I'm referred to the BATTMAN command.  You KNOW whomever created that command knew it would have that effect.

Message 6 of 12
rculp

Once you repair one file, WBLOCK that titleblock to a network directory.  Then you have the ability to update that block on subsequent files by redefining during insert (INSERT->BROWSE->select file->"wish to redefine?" yes" -> CANCEL)

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 7 of 12
john.vellek

HI @MarkFitz,

Have you made progress on this issue? I don't think it will be as bad as you think once you start to implement a plan. Please let me know if you would like me to look at the files personally, perhaps help you wright a MACRO to automate the block substitution, or something else to expedite the change.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 8 of 12
ara_neresesian

hi

its very easy way change your attribute  text justification to fit and the text will not be longer than your frame

and your number will be fit on that area.

Message 9 of 12

Totally agree, if you need the text to be contained within a specific width, change the justification to 'FIT', the text will always be a fixed width regardless of the number or length of characters, not this does change the font width, so your title blocks will look different from sheet to sheet depending on the characters in the sting.

Give me Kudos or mark as a solution if this helps
Regards
Laura
Message 10 of 12
rculp
in reply to: ara_neresesian

"FIT" works, but as you take letters out it elongates the rest making them look odd.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 11 of 12
MarkFitz
in reply to: ara_neresesian

But won't that affect all the editable attributes also, not just this one in the list?

Try it and find out...

Message 12 of 12
MarkFitz

OK, OK, I will confess, I played it safe and cheated...

I'm not a quick fixit kind of guy because I know if you do it this one time, they'll want the same exact thing the next time, and when next time comes around you won't remember what you did that last time.

Knowing that I was on a tight time crunch, and I didn't want to risk venturing on unfamiliar territory, AND that I was going to have to update this drawing sometime in the near future anyway (which would correct all the problems anyway), I took this 1 item from the list, and blanked it out - so it's still part of the list, thus, I still have the option of making any of the changes you guys suggested, but if you look at the list, it's just a blank space for this item.  Having blanked out the space, I placed some regular text in its place, which I can quickly and easily format to suit, without fear of changing anything else.

Now the project is done, I have the time to explore other avenues and see what works best for whichever situation.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, and for the additional help.

Mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost