Did you mean: 

Change Plot Style Table in multiple drawing files

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
aj.metzler
10852 Views, 20 Replies

Change Plot Style Table in multiple drawing files

I have approximately 100 existing .dwg sheets that I need to change the plot style table.  All the sheets are currently set with a custom plot style table.  However, for submission of the CAD files to the client, they require all sheets to be set to monochrome.  Is there a way to batch change every drawing file from my custom table to monochrome and save changes without me manually opening and changing each file?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
murray-clack
in reply to: aj.metzler

Since your submitting the drawings to a client, just create/modify the table values to monochrome.

1. Back up the original plot table

2. Modify the table to monochrome

3. Package up the files accordingly and send to the client

4. Replace the modified table with the original one.

Message 3 of 21
john.vellek

Hi @aj.metzler,

I think @murray-clack has an excellent idea here. To take it one step further, I would actually copy the monochrome.ctb and rename it to match the custom CTB file name. Then package things up.

Way to go @murray-clack!

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 21
aj.metzler
in reply to: john.vellek

I'm not sure I explained it well.  My goal is not to duplicate my custom plot setting to the table named "monochome".  Rather the client wants the plot style set to monochrome.  So if they open up one of the drawings, and open up page setup manager or plot, monochrome will be the table listed under plot style table and not the one I created.  I'm trying to change to monochrome without opening up each file and manually changing.  Thanks for the responses.

Message 5 of 21
john.vellek

Hi @aj.metzler

By renaming Monochrome.ctb to your custom ctb filename, the drawing will still show your name but will plot with monochrome settings.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 6 of 21
sthompson1021

Is it actually 100 different drawings or 10 or 20 drawings with multiple layouts? I have a lisp that will modify all the page setups for the layouts, but it only works on a single drawing.

Message 7 of 21
aj.metzler
in reply to: sthompson1021

107 separate .dwg files each with 1 layout view.  Each layout is setup to plot using a custom plot table, lets call it "MyPlotTable".  When I send these to the client, all 107 files need to be setup to plot to "monochrome".  I'm not trying to duplicate "MyPlotTable" settings so that "monochrome" has the same settings.  I'm trying to get each drawing file to use a plot table that is specifically named "monochrome".  I'm trying to find a way to do it without opening each file individually and changing it.  

Message 8 of 21
rculp

In ETRANSMIT or DWGTRUEVIEW (CONVERT) you can replace all page setups with a defined setup.  

In the first file create a new page setup called monochrome and make all appropriate changes to the page setup including the plot table "monochrome".  Then in ETRANSMIT change the page setup for the rest of the drawings.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 9 of 21
john.vellek

Hi @aj.metzler,

In addition to @rculp's mention of eTransmit and DWG Trueview, you can do this with the DWGCONVERT inside of AutoCAD

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 10 of 21
rculp

I keep forgetting about DWGCONVERT ... old guy new trick I guess.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 11 of 21
john.vellek
in reply to: rculp

Hi Randall - who are you calling old! Smiley Frustrated

John Vellek

Message 12 of 21
rculp

🙂  dude, you're still a kid, I drew with a pencil (or pen) for 15 years before AutoCAD was invented.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 13 of 21
john.vellek

Ha - Kid - I wish. I knew two other CAD systems before there was an AutoCAD! I too worked with lead and ink on paper, vellum and Mylar. Loved Pin-bar registration drafting and I still sort of miss the connection of hand to paper.

See - I am waxing nostalgic...old 😞

John Vellek

Message 14 of 21
hencoop

Perhaps this will be amenable to your client.  If so it will easily solve the problem. 

If you have the set in a Sheet Set the client can easily plot any or all of the sheets using the monochrome page setup directly from the Sheet Set Manager.

1)     Create the monochrome page setup in a template file.

2)     Attach the template to the Sheet Set as the "Page setup overrides file".

SSM PageSetup Override.jpg

3) send the client the Sheet Set file with the drawings.  I prefer to use Etransmit from the right-click menu of the Sheet Set Manager.  Be sure to include the monochrome pen or style table in the transmittal.

When the client uses the Sheet Set file to access their set of drawings they can use the Publish options to plot sheets with the monochrome page setup.

publish-using-pagesetup-override.jpg

AutoCAD User since 1989. Civil Engineering Professional since 1983
Product Ver.: 13.6.1781.0 Civil 3D 2024.3 Update
Built On:        U.152.0.0 AutoCAD 2024.1.2
                        27.0.37.14 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2024.0.1
                        8.6.52.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2024
Message 15 of 21
hencoop

Thanks! I learned something new... DWGCONVERT

Since the thread has veered off topic I feel compelled add to the rabbit trail...

I started board drafting ink on mylar and shifted to CAD drafting using a dual-screen Intergraph workstation with a 3ft x 4ft digitizer table and connected to the server over a 1500 mile dedicated link through a 9600 baud modem... all before AutoCAD or the Bentley brother's MicroStation. Feeling pretty old now.

Message 16 of 21
rculp

Earned my first drafting dollar in 1967, worked with Computervision, CADDS and MEDUSA in the 70's, B&L, Intergraph in the early 80's, but most af that "cad" work was a project here and there mingled with 2500 hrs a year of manual drafting.  I liked ink on mylar, but then they developed that plastic lead crud (skinny crayons) and it went downhill from there.  Rapidographs were a huge leap above ruling pens and the addition of Leroy sets were a boon to productivity.  Started with AutoCAD in '84, added Msta in '86, CALMA in '89, PDS in '90, several wannabes in the early 90's, PDMS in 2001, Plant4D in 2004, Tekla (XSteel) in 2006 (then a sabbatical from drafting into applications management), Cadworx in 2010 to Advance Steel sometime later this year.

Geez, been on a learning curve for going on seven decades ...

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 17 of 21
hencoop

Alfred E. Newman should have been the first clue.  I think I was in grade school when I first read Mad Magazine.  I started a bit late... after a stint with the U.S. Army, some iron working, and College.  I ran out of G.I. Bill money about half-way through College so I turned my part-time job into a full-time career.  Had five children and a very patient wife when I went full-time. (still have 'em +2)

Message 18 of 21
aj.metzler

Thanks to all who suggested a solution.  I used John's suggestion of DWGCONVERT which appears to have worked. 

Message 19 of 21
ashishvdesai

If you want to change the plot style table (ctb) of all the sheets in a drawing with a single command, you can accomplish this by using below described method

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6443086620349554688
Message 20 of 21
MikeM_IPS
in reply to: sthompson1021

I have hundreds of drawings with one layout each and need to set them all the to the page set up. Will you lisp work for that?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost