Did you mean: 

Change Auto cad to Read only file and Nobody can edit or copy file

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mrmanhtriak
4207 Views, 11 Replies

Change Auto cad to Read only file and Nobody can edit or copy file

Hi every body!, 

I have a file .dwg I have to send this file to inspector. However I don't want to inspector edit or copy may drawing. So How to convert to read only. I read many topic about this problem but It isn't my case.

Thanks you so much!

Regard.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
RobDraw
in reply to: mrmanhtriak

It's not possible. 

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 12
jggerth
in reply to: RobDraw

RobDraw is correct -- there's no way to render a dwg file un-editable or un-copyable.  If some one has access to a dwg, and editing software, it's simple reality that they can edit it, change it, copy it.  That's just the reality of digital drawings (or any electronic file for that matter....)

What you can do, is digitally sign the drawing - which can help protect you if a modified version of the file is used for construction and there are lawsuits.  Essentially once a signed drawing is modified, the signature is invalidated = which is definitive proof that the modified drawing is NOT what you submitted.

You can also deliver the DWGs on CD-R Read-Only discs, with an appropriate cover letter and disclaimer.  Be sure and keep a duplicate of the CD-R and your cover letter in the project files.  Again it will not prevent the drawing from being modified, but you can at least point to the originals in your files to demonstrate that any edited version was modified after it left your control.

Message 4 of 12

Give him the file in the form of a dwf or pdf if that is possible, or use a digital signature. Other than those there is not much you can do to protect your digital work.

Message 5 of 12
ronelljohn

Technically, there is a way to make drawings viewable, but un-editable.

Step 1. Select all of the geometry that you want to be locked. On the Menu bar go to File>Export>3dDWF and save the file to any directory.

Step 2. Next go to Insert>DWF Underlay... and locate the .dwf file you created in step one. Import it with the default settings/scale etc.

Step 3. Delete the original geometry you wanted to lock, and place the DWF underlay in its place. 

Step 4. Save As...and give it a new name.

Step 5. Menu bar ...File>eTransmit. This would allow you to save the .dwg AND .dwf in a zip file with all the references created automatically.

Step 6. Send the .zip file to the recipient. Once they unzip and open the DWG file, the referenced DWF geometry can be viewed, but not edited.

DWF underlay is far superior to PDF underlay, for those who try this method with pdf's instead.

Hope I've helped someone, somewhere in the world. 

Cheers. 

Message 6 of 12
RobDraw
in reply to: ronelljohn

Technically speaking, both of those solutions do not provide an uneditable AutoCAD file. They only put the DWF or PDF in a .dwg package.

Rob

Message 7 of 12
ronelljohn

It gets the job done. However you choose to label it is up to you. 

Message 8 of 12
RobDraw

@ronelljohn wrote:

It gets the job done. 

Hardly.

@ronelljohn wrote:

However you choose to label it is up to you. 

That's my point. All you are doing is putting a different label on it. If you ordered a dozen roses and received a box that had "ROSES" printed on it but it contained a dozen Marigolds, would you accept them as roses?

The OP was sending the files to an inspector. Aside from the OP's obvious trust issues, sending a locked .dwg to an "inspector" is one thing, sending them a DWF or PDF in a .dwg file would probably not fit the requirements of the inspection. Not the type of thing you want to do with someone who is approving your work.

Rob

Message 9 of 12
s.borello

Not possible.

Message 10 of 12
ronelljohn

You are making assumption after assumption to prove a null point. 

Trust issues: Speculation

Requirements of the inspector: Assumption with no factual information

Inspector has to approve the format: Again speculation.

Let me make some assumptions as well, since only the OP is the only one who knows if my solution can fit his needs (not yours).

My scenario:

Perhaps 'inspector' is short for Building Inspector as in a an authority to which you submit drawings for approvals to construct.

Perhaps this particular inspector is notorious for stealing person's designs, or custom blocks, or whatever Mr. OP created that he does not want Mr. Inspector to have access to.

Perhaps Mr. Inspector insists on dwg files so he can have easy access to free content every time a draftsman or architect submits drawings.

Perhaps he claims that PDF files are inadequate for him to get the dimensions or areas he requires, so a CAD file is mandatory.  So, by sending a .dwg file (not marigolds) with geometry that can be snapped to, and whatever information required can be accessed, you have met the inspector's instructions, but alas, your content is safe. He cannot in any way request an editable cad file, because he has no grounds for such.

There. I've also made assumptions that can justify my solution. Now the OP can decide for himself if your "It's impossible" is sufficient, or if ".dwg with a dwf underlay" can work FOR HIM. 

If the solution cant work in his situation, it may help someone else. At the end of my post i'm sure i said "Hope this helps someone, somewhere in the world"... Meaning if it works for you, use it, if not, don't. 

It's friday night. I've got better things to do than dispute the nuances of xrefs. Do enjoy your weekend my friend. 

Cheers

Message 11 of 12
pendean

Bottom line: if the recipient wants DWG files, sending anything else will get the OP in hot water, unless the recipient got hit in the head with a 2x4 LOL

Y'all have a great weekend.

Message 12 of 12
RobDraw

@ronelljohn, if you think that you have an acceptable solution, please explain this; if the "inspector" can accept your so called AutoCAD drawings, why wouldn't a PDF or DWF be accepted without being wrapped in a .dwg?

Would you do that to your clients or boss when they request a .dwg? Try it and good luck finding a new job.

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost