Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2018 - Cannot draw a rectangle using Dynamic Input

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
katie1994
6475 Views, 12 Replies

AutoCAD 2018 - Cannot draw a rectangle using Dynamic Input

Yesterday I was able to draw a rectangle by entering in a dimension, hitting TAB, then entering the second dimension. Today Dynamic Input was off and I can no longer use this method. I finally figured out how to turn on the Dynamic Input but still cannot draw a rectangle. I decided to go old school and enter the dimensions as 15,15 and it worked. 

any ideas on what I did to disable this function? I am using the student version of Autocad 2018. (FYI I have been using Autocad for 20 years.)

[ The subject line of this post has been edited to include the product name by @handjonathan ]

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
pendean
in reply to: katie1994

what other method is there to draw 15,15 rectangle?
Or do you need to correctly type @Anonymous,15?
Or did you forget to set units to ARCHITECTURAL so you can type @1'3,1'3 instead?

Message 3 of 13
katie1994
in reply to: pendean

Like I said in my post, I have been accustomed to selecting the rectangle tool, enter the X length, hit TAB key, enter the Y length. The Dynamic Input shows as a box beside the cursor, the dimension is shown in the box. When you hit TAB a little lock shows in the first box, a second box opens where you enter the second dimension. This is  no longer happening. I am using a drawing I have been working on for several weeks and no changes have been made to the units.

Message 4 of 13
beyoungjr

Something surely has "flaked out" on you if the Dynamic Input data fields are not appearing or functioning correctly.

DYNMODE is the typed command to turn this on and off but I'm sure you know where the icon is as well.  If it is set to on then your input fields should work with the Tab key as well as using a comma (the comma acts the same as hitting Tab for RECTANGLE).  This also defaults as a relative coordinate unless you have tweaked any of your Dynamic Input settings, as I'm sure you know.

If it is not behaving correctly then I'd suggest saving your workspace then resetting your profile in the OPTIONS dialog (last tab of OPTIONS).

OOPS! I just saw something in your reply to @pendean that is a flag...

"selecting the rectangle tool, enter the X length, hit TAB key, enter the Y length"

You have to start with the initial point, then the length tab width.  Is that the problem?

Hope this helps,

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

Message 5 of 13
katie1994
in reply to: beyoungjr

I seemed to have solved the problem. I did a google search and figured out to right click on the Dynamic Input button to open the Drafting Settings. In Tooltip Appearance/Apply To section I changed "Use settings only for Dynamic Input Tooltips" to "Override OS Settings for all drafting tooltips. I have no idea what that means but it solved the problem. I still don't know why it switched.

Message 6 of 13
davidius15

Hi l, for a while now I have been having the same trouble where I have to press "D" in order to input dimensions cause all of a sudden my autocad stopped allowing me to enter values for rectangles using the method where you use "Tab" or "," and for some reason only rectangles are affected. On top of this @katie1994's solution of selecting the "Override OS settings for all drafting tools" doesn't work for me because it has always been selected.

If anyone has got any clue how to fix this, it would be a huge help.

Message 7 of 13
jbeasleyLSYWC

I have been struggling with this issue for months. one day it worked the next day it didn't. Don't know what changed. Everytime I try to draw a rectangular using dynamic input the rectangle ends up some odd dimension running way off into space. I tried all the solutions offered here to no avail. I finally realized that the second point of my rectangle was always being placed relative to the 0,0 coordinate. so it wasn't really random at all. knowing that allowed me track down the particle setting that was screwing things up and I finally found found the answer. anyone with this issue try the following:

First make sure Dynomode is set to 3 (this allows both pointer input and dimension input).

Then go to the ribbon button menu across the bottom and find the tab for Snap Mode.

Click on the little down arrow on the Snap Mode button and then click on Snap Settings, a pop-up menu will appear called Drafting Settings (Note this is completely DIFFERENT from the Drafting tab menu you get through Options). Select the Dynamic Input tab. Make sure the boxes for Pointer Input and Dimension Input are checked. Under Pointer Input hit the Settings button. A pop-up menu gives you options for where the second point will be placed. Select RELATIVE Cordinates to place the second rectangle point "relative" to the first point. Now you can draw a rectangle by clicking where you want the first point to be and enter the dimensions for X,Y to get the second point.

Selecting Absolute Coordinates places the second point relative to the coordinate 0,0 rather than your first point.

This was driving me crazy.  I hope this helps someone. 

Message 8 of 13
ankuenyonam5

Hii I checked as you instructed but my override is checked but the dynamic input with rectangle command is still not working. Any other option.

Message 9 of 13
heinerhoefkes

Yes, I had the same problem. However, pressing the comma key instead of the TAP bar lets you specify the 'Y' dimension.

Message 10 of 13

THANK YOU - this was driving me insane!
Message 11 of 13
rattana_sFUK9L
in reply to: davidius15

@davidius15 you can fix it by right click at your Dynamic input button > Dynamic input setting > Dynamic input .Then select "Enable Dimension Input where possible".

Message 12 of 13
maiAGC7N

dsettings>dynamic input and select 

maiAGC7N_0-1694698371413.png

whole page looks like below:

maiAGC7N_1-1694698400401.png

Message 13 of 13
jessicanaomirjg
in reply to: maiAGC7N

thank you so much, you help me a lot!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost