Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't trim or extend polyline (+ circle, rectangle, etc.)

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
29201 Views, 24 Replies

Can't trim or extend polyline (+ circle, rectangle, etc.)

Hello everyone,

I'm using AutoCAD for years now (I have been teaching).

One of my students cannot use trim or extend anymore with polylines, rectangles, circles, etc. Simple lines are ok and it works as well when I explode polylines. Though this solution cannot work with circles as they cannot be exploded.

We are working in 3D but I checked the Z axe (through the properties). Every polyline is on the same plan as the line I want to extend/trim them to.

I have been trying many solutions (edgemode, restart autocad, computer, work in 2007 version files, etc.)

Thanks for your help!

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

On different UCS maybe.

Try set it back to World UCS

UCS World

Plan Current.

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

I already tried to change to World UCS and back to current plan. But it doesn't work. 😞

Message 4 of 25
Patchy

Please post that drawing.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous

There is no drawing. Any circle/rectangle/polyline crossed by a line can't get trimmed to it...

But I can ask the student to print screen if you want to see if everything is ok with the UI. 🙂

Message 6 of 25
Patchy

Could be the setting.

After selecting the objects & hitting enter, you are prompted to choose to select object to trim with the following options (Project/Edge/Undo).

Message 7 of 25
murray-clack

Try this...

Click on the Polyline, right-click, and select "Properties". If the object type says "2D Polyline", then you have an "old fashioned" polyline in the drawing.  Simply use the command CONVERTPOLY (and using  the "Light" option) to change them to the "new" style of pline

Message 8 of 25
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

There is no drawing. Any circle/rectangle/polyline crossed by a line can't get trimmed to it...

But I can ask the student to print screen if you want to see if everything is ok with the UI. 🙂

Then have the student make one - and attach the *.dwg file here.

Personally, I would not be interested in the print screen. I would want to see an actual *.dwg file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 25
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: murray-clack

@murray-clack wrote:

.... CONVERTPOLY ....

... won't fix it.  Assuming the Extend and Trim commands are working normally, "heavy" Polylines work just as well as everything else, both as boundaries and as things to be Extended/Trimmed.  Something else is going on.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 10 of 25
Kent1Cooper

@Patchy wrote:

On different UCS maybe.

That's not the issue [at least not by itself], either.  With Extend and Trim working normally, even if you are working with things drawn in different UCS's, and you're currently in yet another UCS not the same as that of any of the objects involved, you can still do Extend and/or Trim with them.  But you can affect how that works [which under certain circumstances might affect whether anything happens] with the Project option -- read up on it in Help if the objects involved are in different UCS's, or perhaps in the same one but at different elevations.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: murray-clack

I will ask the student to do that. Though, as they all use an academic version of AutoCAD, and the same version, they shouldn't be able to create different kinds of polylines. Others than mine which are correct, I mean.

She never met that trouble when using AutoCAD for 2D architectural purpose. The problem appeared when we started working with 3D mechanical components.

Maybe some trouble with the World UCS and or projections of the trim command. I'm going to verify this too!

I'll give you a feedback as soon as possible! Thanks for the help!

Message 12 of 25
Kent1Cooper

@Anonymous wrote:

.... as they all use an academic version of AutoCAD, and the same version, they shouldn't be able to create different kinds of polylines. ....

Certainly they should [I can't imagine any reason why that should be different in an academic version -- do the CONVERTPOLY command and the PLINETYPE System Variable not exist there?].  And in some cases different kinds will be created for them [for example, PEDIT / Spline a LWPolyline and it will become a "heavy" 2D Polyline whether you like it or not].  But as I said earlier, that's probably not the issue.

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 13 of 25
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

... Though, as they all use an academic version of AutoCAD...

There is zero difference in functionality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

I mean that, as we are really careful about the way they work in AutoCAD, they should work the same way as the other teachers and I do. 🙂

But I will try everything you proposed me to be sure! 😉

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous

None of every solution you proposed me actually worked...

Here is a new data I got today after trying many solutions: the top view allows us to trim a circle. Any other view (front, back, left, right) won't allow us to do so. By the way, even when we work in a specular plane, we get an issue. For example, using a line joining two quadrants of a circle doesn't allow us to trim it anyway. Which is, from my point of view, a big aberration.

I feel like there is something wrong with the UCS system but when I manage to modify it, nothing seems wrong.

Any other idea ? The problem is linked to the program (/computer) and not the file itself.

Thanks again for your help!

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous

Here is another fact: when rotating a circle into the top plane, I can trim it. When rotating a circle into any other plane, I can't trim it (even if I could trim it before).

Message 17 of 25
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is another fact: when rotating a circle into the top plane, I can trim it. When rotating a circle into any other plane, I can't trim it (even if I could trim it before).

Attach file here that exhibits this behavior.

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

It's not the file but the software/computer itself.

Message 19 of 25
JustOpie

You state they are working in 3D in your OP.  Are the objects which will not trim/extend actially intersection any specific objects?  Depending on the view, objects may appear to be crossing, but are in different areas of the drawing.

You also state it is not the drawing.  By uploading a drawing that may show this behavior would allow others to see how the drawing was created.  They may also look at the drawing for any obscure settings that may cause this.

Message 20 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: JustOpie

Quadrants of a circles are for sure in the same plane as the circle itself. It's pure geometry: a line made of two points on a circle is coplanar with the circle. So I believe it has nothing to do with planes errors, am I wrong? Especially that the problem appears when you are in any plane except top/bottom.

About the drawing, nothing is wrong about it: I asked the student to send it to me and I get no error. But when I go myself on his software, starting from any template (even a blank drawing), I just cannot trim circles or any other polyline.

I think it's a software bug. We are going to reinstall it to verify this theory. We are using spare computer for those cases, so that the student doesn't lose time. 🙂

Thanks for the help of everyone!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost