Did you mean: 

Can't sculpt multiple surfaces into a solid

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1165 Views, 6 Replies

Can't sculpt multiple surfaces into a solid

Hello, I ran into another problem while learning surfaces. I've created some surfaces that enclose a volume. I expected to sculpt them into solid since they all are "edge to edge". However something is wrong since I can't get them to work as a single unit. Could you please look into it and say what is going wrong with this one?

Programs initial expected behavior was:

1. Select surfaces

2. Merge them to single unit

3. Make them a solid object

However process never reaches stage 2. It just cancels without ANY error or requirement. How do I suppose to know what I've done wrong if there is no indication at all? It is very frustrating and enraging,

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

I see that you are visiting as a new member to the AutoCAD forum. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

I removed the bottom surface and then replaced it by using SURFPATCH. I did the same for the back surface. Once I did that I was able to convert to a solid without any problem.

Capture.PNG

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 7
leeminardi
in reply to: john.vellek

I replaced your flat surfaces with bigger ones (shown below) and then used surfsculpt  which yielded as solid.

solid1.JPG

lee.minardi
Message 4 of 7
parkr4st
in reply to: leeminardi

why didn't it work.  zoom way in in 2D wireframe  visual style on the edges and you can see the edges are not in common with one another which both contributors graciously fixed

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hello!

I tried both mentioned methods and only the second worked.

I deleted initial flat surfaces while replacing them with patches one by one, then selected everything and used "sculpt" from surface menu. When I press "sculpt" - nothing happens as if the action is just canceled. Tried different commands and order just to troubleshoot. Same result.

This probably happens because neither new patches nor initial flat surfaces "touch" the curved surface. Can't get anything else on my mind.

What version of Autocad are you using? I think mine maybe missing the script that is present in yours. Which can handle such actions on its own or probably ignore human imperfect implementations.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: leeminardi

Thank you, your method worked.

In case anybody runs into a same problem - here is the course of action:

1. Isolate(hide) your initial flat surfaces/patches that don't work. (You can also delete them if you so wish)

2. Go to each plane (x/y/z) and create a rectangle that will include the desired flat surface inside of it. 

3. Select the rectangle one by one and use PLANESURF command to create a flat surface.

4. Select all flat surfaces and a curved one and use SURFSCULPT command.

5. You can hide the unnecessary left overs or delete them.

Message 7 of 7
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

I can assure you that my method also works :). I made a quick video for you that shows the process. My resulting 3D solid is in my previous post.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report