Did you mean: 

Can ellipses convert to polylines?

37 REPLIES 37
SOLVED
Message 1 of 38
Anonymous
56633 Views, 37 Replies

Can ellipses convert to polylines?

Is there a method of converting ellipses to polylines?

37 REPLIES 37
Message 2 of 38
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

pellipse = 1 before creation

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 38
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

... and for existing ellipse objects you might save these back to DXF12.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 38
rkmcswain

....another way, WMFOUT and WMFIN

(ins pt = UL of viewport, and scale 2X during the WMFIN)

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 38
braudpat
in reply to: rkmcswain

Hello

If you have many real Ellipses to convert to Plines !?

The "marvellous"  EL2PL  VLisp routine from (gile) - Gilles Chanteau

will help you ... because it can convert many ellipses in one shot !

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 38
marknielsen
in reply to: braudpat

that lips was just the thing i was looking for.... THX a million

regards.
surveyor.
Mark Nielsen
Danjord A/s
Denmark
Message 7 of 38
Thermeco-Cad

All good, except the full Ellipse. It cannot convert the full ellipse to something other than ellipse.

Message 8 of 38

Hi,

>> All good, except the full Ellipse

Have you seen post 3 in this thread?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 38

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, I did. It's not a perfect solution for me.

Message 10 of 38
rculp
in reply to: Thermeco-Cad

OFFSET the ellipse a set amount (keep it small), erase the original then offset the copy back to the original.  Now you have a spline curve, use SPLINEDIT to convert it to a PLINE, the higher the precision the more vertices in the pline.

But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 11 of 38
pancarolinapa
in reply to: rculp

This worked for me on partial ellipses, but doesn't work on complete ellipses.  Any ideas?

Message 12 of 38

Hi,

>> but doesn't work on complete ellipses.  Any ideas?

Have you seen post 3 in this thread?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 13 of 38

Yes,thank you, but I'm reluctant to try that because I'm not sure how that will affect other objects in the file, and I don't have hours to play with it!  I ended up just tracing the ellipse with a new polyline, since absolute accuracy was not necessary, and deleting the ellipse.  

Message 14 of 38

Hi,

>> how that will affect other objects

Not at all. Using command _DXFOUT with option to "export selected" you can chose the ellipse to export, then use command _INSERT to get it back into your drawing, but then as polyline. No need to export all and reimport all.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 15 of 38
fg
Enthusiast
in reply to: pancarolinapa

Split the ellipse in half first using trim command.  then use the lisp routine.  Then mirror the arcs.  If you want to combine the arcs at the split you can since they are the same radius.

Message 16 of 38
Kent1Cooper
in reply to: pancarolinapa

@pancarolinapa wrote:

This worked for me on partial ellipses, but doesn't work on complete ellipses.  Any ideas?

Old thread, but anyway....  Another approach:  Use WobblyPline.lsp with its WPL command, available >here<.  See in particular the paragraph beginning 'You can even do "un-randomized" things....'

Call up WPL, use the EXisting-object option, choose whether you want to Delete the original, select the Ellipse [partial or full], and give it a reasonable number of segments [a multiple of 4 will work best -- 16 or 20 or 24 generally seem to be good, depending on the ratio of the Ellipse and the precision you need].  When it asks for "Maximum displacement as percentage of average segment length:" give it 0 [zero], which will make a Polyline of line segments, all of whose vertices will lie on  the Ellipse at regular spacing around it.  Then use PEDIT on the result, with the Fit option to turn it into arc segments.  Depending on the precision you need, you might like the result of the Spline option instead, but that will pull it inward slightly [by how much depends on how many segments you asked for in WPL].

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 17 of 38

None of these solutions is an actual solution.

WMFOUT?

What?

A better way to explain the solution is to actually EXPLAIN the solution.

Dropping a command that is probably new to an average user without any explanation is no help at all.

Message 18 of 38
jmenezesFXKA9
in reply to: rculp

I know this was a while ago, but you saved my life!  After that all the steps I exploded the polyline and ended up with hundreds of straight lines, exactly what I need so the company's machine could read the DXF.  Thanks a million!!

Message 19 of 38

There is an alternative i have found to convert ellipse (for trimmed ellipses) into polyline in Autocad.

Step 1: Close the ellipse by drawing a LINE

Step 2: Use JOIN cmd and select the ellipse and line and Press Enter.

Now it will be in SPLINE form.

Step 3: In drop down of spline , Convert Spline to Polyline.

Step 4: BREAK the drawn line from Polyline using BREAK cmd and Delete the drawn Lines.

Hence Conversion of Ellipse to polyline will be achieved.

Message 20 of 38
tanveerbhatti447

Sir, Thanks a lot its working

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost