Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block Attribute Data Extraction Updating with Fields

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
OliverE
1980 Views, 7 Replies

Block Attribute Data Extraction Updating with Fields

Hi I'm using AutoCAD 2016 on Windows 10.

I am wondering if there is a way to link the data you extract using EATTEXT so that updates made within the generated Excel table automatically update the attribute values back in CAD and vice versa.

ie. I have my drawing with a few blocks that have multiple attributes. I use EATTEXT to extract the desired information from my blocks. Upon reviewing the tabulated information in Excel I realize I need to make some changes to some of the block's attribute values. I'd like to be able to make that change within Excel and have it update the blocks in CAD and vice versa -> if I change the attribute value in CAD it updates the tables' values automatically.

Thank you in advance,

Ollie

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jayhar
in reply to: OliverE

Hi,

Search in AKN, here the link About Extracting Data from Block Attributes click here

Please Mark the Post or Posts as Solution(s) to help others find the answer quickly. If your issue persists,

Please give me a bit more detail on this issue so we can continue to work towards getting this solved. ?

Thanks You
Jayhar.M.J

Please Subscribe YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCclj8v9vHQiFa8_DriuAk3w

Please Mark the Post or Posts as Solution(s) to help others find the answer quickly.
Message 3 of 8
OliverE
in reply to: jayhar

More detail:
I have extracted data from my drawing using EATTEXT to an Excel table. I am changing the values of the data in the Excel table and would like the corresponding values to change in my CAD drawing.
Thank you.
Message 4 of 8
cadffm

@OliverE

There is no ootb command to do that, except ATTIN ATTOUT (in fullversions).

You need a program extension.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/importing-attributes-from-excel/td-p/6878963

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/automatically-fill-in-attributes-from-excel-sourcefile/...

And APPSTORE Example: https://apps.autodesk.com/ACD/de/Detail/Index?id=3541101438877387946&appLang=en&os=Win64

@jayhar

DataExtract is only a oneway solution, OliverE asked for bi-direct ways.

- Sebastian -
Message 5 of 8
ChicagoLooper

This can be done using DATAEXTRACTION command.

Alternatively, go to Annotate tab=>Tables panel=>Extract Data icon.

This command uses a wizard comprising of 8 steps. On step 6 of the wizard, you will be presented with a dialog box. The dialog will look like this:

At step 6 of the wizard, you'll see this (see image above).At step 6 of the wizard, you'll see this (see image above).

Select 'insert data extraction table into drawing' as shown above. At the completion of all 8 steps, you will insert the table containing the extracted data. The table will look something like this:

Grren corners indicate it's a 'linked' table.Grren corners indicate it's a 'linked' table.

The GREEN corners indicate the table is 'LINKED' which means that edits can go either upstream or downstream. This means depending on the button you use, the edit can go from block-to-table or from table-to-block

Using these buttons, you can edit either the block or the table, and the other will update.Using these buttons, you can edit either the block or the table, and the other will update.

Of course, you'll still need to format your table to make it pretty. The concept linking data, however, is built into the program. You just have to know where to look to find  it.

Chicagolooper
Message 6 of 8
john.vellek
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

HI @ChicagoLooper,

Is it possible to do a Screencast of this? I am not aware of a way to update the blocks from a dataextraction table. When I use those two icons, it indicates that I can upload to source (external drawing file) OR upload from the external datasource to update the table.

I would love to be proven wrong as this is a frequent request.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 7 of 8
OliverE
in reply to: john.vellek

Agreed, using this method I can only update from block-table and it doesn't update my excel file, only the table inserted in the drawing.

Is it just me or should this not be a pretty basic built in feature for AutoCAD? Being able to see a list of all instances of every block and their attributes in your drawing in table form and have the ability to update the attribute values from the table seems like it would be an essential tool for many CAD users. It would make editing large numbers of block attributes quite fast and simple given each instance of the blocks had a unique identifier code.

Message 8 of 8
john.vellek

Hi @OliverE,

I agree that additional functionality for this feature would be a nice improvement for many AutoCAD users. I encourage you to submit this request to Product Feedback.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost