Did you mean: 

Bitonal bitmap opaque background in 2016

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
mkrones
1326 Views, 12 Replies

Bitonal bitmap opaque background in 2016

I have a bitonal BMP file with simple linework. The image appears properly in 2015, with only the linework opaque. The background is not visible and does not print. The BMP is completely opaque when the drawing is opened in 2016. I cannot find any differences in the settings for the inserted object or ACAD configuration. I'm obviously missing something. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
pendean
in reply to: mkrones

Method/option of insertion of the bmp file in 2015/2016 is...?
Message 3 of 13
mkrones
in reply to: pendean

Attach Image via the xref dialogue window.
Message 4 of 13
Victoria.Studley

Hi @mkrones,

Do you have other bitonal images that display as expected in 2016? Or does this happen to all bitonal BMPs?

Could you post a sample drawing and image file for testing purposes? (If you don't feel comfortable posting to the forum thread, you can upload the file directly to your case via your Autodesk Account instead.)

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 5 of 13
mkrones
in reply to: Victoria.Studley

I don't have other bitonal images.

The BMP file is 8MB, too large for uploading through this message. How do I send it through my Autodesk account?

Message 6 of 13
pendean

use a free service like DropBox or Google Drive for example, to share large files.
Message 7 of 13
Victoria.Studley

Hi @mkrones,

Thank you for sending your files via your support case. I want to follow up here with a public resolution for your thread, so that other customers who encounter this issue can find the solution as well.

When the BMP image file is attached to an AutoCAD 2016 drawing, the foreground and background are reversed, which is why transparency doesn't appear to do anything.

To work around this issue:

• Open the BMP image file in Microsoft Paint (or any other image editing software).
  • Navigate to Save As > Other Formats.
  • Choose TIF from the list of file extensions.
  • Save a copy of the image file as a TIF instead of BMP.
  • Attach the TIF to your drawing file.
  • The TIF image will display the correct foreground and background areas and respond to background transparency correctly in AutoCAD 2016.

I've logged this issue with the development team on your behalf to have it investigated.

Victoria Studley
Content Experience Designer - Fusion 360
Fusion 360 | Learn & Support
Documentation | Contact Support
Message 8 of 13
KJMaas

I have the same problem but my bitonal bitmap is already in TIF and it covers my inventor views. Is there a way to send the image to the back or make the white space transparent? I tried "send backward" but it appears to do nothing. My image is a 1-bit 300dpi TIF compressed with LZW and it is 8.5 x 11" I need to overlay more 3D views onto the image. I can convert the lines and text into vector using Raster Design but that it very time consuming because I would have to convert all bitmap to vector to bring into Inventor without the image. Optionally, if there were a way I could bring the view of the inventor presentation file into Raster Design, I might be able to finish the illustration there.
Message 9 of 13
pfilters

If you logged the issue to "have it investigated" does that imply they may correct the issue with a service pack or the next release once they agree it is a valid bug?  If so, I would like to point you to a much older thread I found last year when I first encountered this issue.  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017/raster-images/m-p/5757008#M89598.  Over the past 10+ years, we estblished a considerable number of files that reference BMP images that are now seriously inconvenient to work with.  To suggest all users go through their formerly acceptable drawings and laboriously modfiy them to fix what appears to be either a major oversight, or just an arbitrary change in programming, is absurd.  Autodesk should justify the change before requiring a work around.  Unfortunately, not dealing with it for 5 releases has allowed how many other users to establish their drawings based around the new way AutoCAD displays BMP files?  To change now would just mess them up, too.  It's a lose-lose situation.

Message 10 of 13
archibig

The problem is NOT solved...this is an awkward work-around at best. Please stop 'fixing'things that aren't broken!

Message 11 of 13
agentornge75
in reply to: archibig

I guess I'm a bit confused by what just happened here.  We've got thousands of files, and many details that are in various image formats spanning many different jobs that themselves span many years of development.  

AFTER we change everybody to 2017 (because the new DWG format needs us all on the same version), I discover that many of our details sheets won't plot correctly because the BMPs plot solid black now.  

Proposing that we open our jobs, identify the BMPs attached, then open MS Paint, convert them to a new format (I'd prefer .PNGs, and we use them for all newer images), and then RESIZE them all on the paper space (because the images physically change sizes or origins whether I like it or not) causes much work and incurs much cost on every single project (not to mention impacts delivery time frames on crunch projects with 200+ sheets).  Is there a programming reason that BMPs are treated differently all of a sudden? 

I'm with the user above.  Please don't 'fix' unbroken issues.

Message 12 of 13
pfilters

Just installed ACAD 2021.  Looks like Autodesk finally fixed this.  Too bad I inverted all of my BMPs years ago.  Now they all print black again.  Thanks, Autodesk!

Message 13 of 13
archibig
in reply to: pfilters

Good to know. A small consolation for still having to work with one of the most poorly designed software programs in the history of computing. Oh, and thanks for placing your shareholders' interests above those of users by implementing a mandatory subscription model...that tells you ALL you need to know about Autodesk's commitment to it's users...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost