Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad: stop asking me to save on DWG

58 REPLIES 58
Message 1 of 59
Anonymous
8429 Views, 58 Replies

Autocad: stop asking me to save on DWG

Hello, so yeah, as the tittle says, I want to autocad to stop asking me to save files on DWG whenever closing the file I am working on.

I normally work only with DXF files because that’s the easiest way to communicate the different software I use on the workshop.

Yes, I know this has been asked numerous times, and if I had my answer, I wouldn’t be typing this, I have tried a big deal of things such as saving on DXF (2004), unchecking pop up warnings (??? or something among those words) and none has given me the answer I am looking for.

I also would appreciate if I was spared the lecture about why I should be using other format or the reason it is there in the first place, thanks.

58 REPLIES 58
Message 2 of 59
Patchy
in reply to: Anonymous

Use autolisp, make a command 2004dxf (similar as below) and it will not bother you anymore.

(defun c:2004dxf ()
(command "_saveas" "dxf" "version" "2004" "16" "" "yes")
(command "_close" "no" "yes")
)

Message 3 of 59
Kent1Cooper

Could you use a custom exiting command?

(defun C:XX () (command "_.quit" "_yes")); = eXtreme eXit

A nice short left-hand-only command name.  If you haven't done anything for it to ask whether you really want to discard all changes, it will simply never get to the point of feeding in the "_yes" answer to that question, but it will have it ready if needed.  [Curiously, in the command-line Close and Quit and Exit (which is an alias for Quit) commands invoked from an AutoLisp (command) function, it asks whether you want to discard changes, but in the dialog-box ones it asks whether you want to save changes, though that may have changed in newer versions than I have here.]

Have it loaded in every drawing by acaddoc.lsp.

However, that does require you to use that command, and not [for example] pick on the little X, to get out of a drawing.  But to account for at least some menu-based possibilities for Closing, you could UNDEFINE and provide a new definition of CLOSE and QUIT, to do the same thing.  [I'm not sure whether the little X actually uses the CLOSE command, even though the tool tip thing says "Close," but if so, that would also be covered.]

[Never mind -- I think I mis-read the intent.]

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 4 of 59
Anonymous
in reply to: Patchy

excuse my gross ignorance when it comes to use... whatever you are telling me to use, what is autolisp? could you direct me to a tutorial or give me more detailed instructions? thanks
Message 5 of 59
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
excuse my gross ignorance when it comes to use... whatever you are telling me to use, what is autolisp? could you direct me to a tutorial or give me more detailed instructions? thanks

http://bfy.tw/7viM

Message 6 of 59
Patchy

You should try it out, see if it works as you wanted before spending time running it as autolisp.

Highlight the 4 lines, use Copy then in Autocad drawing, paste it in the command line.

When closing the drawing, type in:

2004dxf

Hit ENTER

(If it works then go here for the tutorial:  http://www.lee-mac.com/runlisp.html)

Message 7 of 59
Patchy

Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 59
RobDraw

Personally, I would never turn this feature off. What about that time when you are in a rush and make some intense edits that you do want to save and AutoCAD doesn't ask you to when you close. Work is gone and now you are even further behind.

Did you know that you can use the "N" key to say no? I find that quick and easy way to say "No" if it takes you a little while to find your target with the mouse. The real value of that is when I have multiple files open that I don't want to save.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 9 of 59
Patchy
in reply to: RobDraw

The problem is when working with DXF, a person saves the DXF then close, autocad prompts for do you want to save it as .dwg

So this is an extra click to say no to .dwg

Message 10 of 59
RobDraw

I understood that from the OP. There is not a day that goes by that I do not want to save when I close and I don't work with dxf. I still would never turn that prompt off. It makes not difference in my reply. I appreciate the verification.

I also, never worry about an extra click. Clicks are free and trying to save a few a day is a waste of time. There are many things that are much bigger time wasters than clicks.

Rob

Message 11 of 59
Anonymous

Sorry I could not get that to work, whenever I try to copy paste it on my command line, being all 4 at the same time, or one by one, nothing seems to happen when I click 2004dxf when closing the file, so either I am doing something wrong or doesnt work 😕
Message 12 of 59
Anonymous
in reply to: RobDraw

I never use DWG files, so why should i care about it, thats about as much as my argument goes, I do not work with one file, i work with thousand on daily basis, its not just an "extra click"
Message 13 of 59
RobDraw

... and I bet you never hit close accidently before saving the dxf either. Not arguing, just saying a little insurance at the cost of a click or keystroke is well worth it to me.

Rob

Message 14 of 59
Patchy

Nope, not click on the close, Type in that command

If it works you can rename that command to xx or anything you want.

Message 15 of 59
pendean

AutoCAD is a DWG application: it always wants to save there.

If doing this is not any help:
OPTIONS from the Command line
Open and Save tab.
File Save and slect DXF of your preferred version.

Then you need to create a lisp and use it only to save and close DXF files
(defun c:2013dxf ()
(command "_saveas" "dxf" "version" "2013" "16" "" "yes")
(command "_close" "no" "yes")
);

Learn LISP loading and execution: you have a very expensive software that is designed for you to customize and tailor fully for your needs: if all you want to do is wait for Autodesk to do it for you you might as well save a lot of money and use a much cheaper program.
Message 16 of 59
Anonymous

yes, Im sure I got it correctly, I understand the basic code, its suppoced to save the file on the DXF format and then automatically [close] the file, it doesnt do that tough, it only saves the changes but it doesnt close my active work, and when I manually close it (for whatever reason), the popup still appears.

Message 17 of 59
Patchy

I tested it 10 times, it worked for me.

I'll wait and see anyone can tell me why.

Message 18 of 59
Anonymous

I see, good for you, this is not what I wanted though, I just want to disable the warning that I dont care about for conveniance, not having to get used to type a command everytime i want to save the document, but apparently this is not possible in such a very expencive software as someone mentioned before, thanks anyways.
Message 19 of 59
RobDraw

@Anonymous wrote:
apparently this is not possible in such a very expencive software.

Is it possible in less expensive software?

Rob

Message 20 of 59
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

If you open your files in read-only mode, you should still be able to export the DXF file and then close without a prompt.

I hope this  gets you closer.

To get your files to open in Read-only mode I looked up this older thread that might get you started.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report