Did you mean: 

Autocad slow to load

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
11040 Views, 6 Replies

Autocad slow to load

Hello. I am a computer technician who has a client that uses AutoCAD 2016. He has complained for some time about AutoCAD opening very slowly. 3 years ago we got him a new PC with a Core i7 CPU, an SSD, 8G memory and a Quadro video card.  AutoCAD runs great when it starts.  All other apps run very quickly, but AutoCAD takes about 60 seconds to open.

Now, please understand I am not familiar with AutoCAD. I have researched and found people saying that they made it start faster by disabling hyperthreading. Others said it could be broken links or startup items that are missing. While I can disable hyperthreading from the BIOS, I am clueless as to how to diagnose missing startup items.  I would really appreciate help diagnosing this for my client. Remember, I know nothing about AutoCAD, so when you say to go to the wonky tab to deselect the jibberty startup items, specify how I get to the wonky tab and how to deselect the jibberty items. 😄

If you have any other ideas on how to speed up the startup, please let me know. Thank you.

Corey

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

to identify if AutoCAD has some broken links you can do a simple test:

Create a new Windows user on that system, give that user admin permission, login with that account, disconnect the system from network, turn off antivirus and now start AutoCAD in that context ... fast or slow?

As the workstation is running already 3 years now ... was there an update to Windows 10 installed in the meantime?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello. I am a computer technician who has a client that uses AutoCAD 2016. He has complained for some time about AutoCAD opening very slowly. 3 years ago we got him a new PC with a Core i7 CPU, an SSD, 8G memory and a Quadro video card.  AutoCAD runs great when it starts.  All other apps run very quickly, but AutoCAD takes about 60 seconds to open.

Now, please understand I am not familiar with AutoCAD. I have researched and found people saying that they made it start faster by disabling hyperthreading. Others said it could be broken links or startup items that are missing. While I can disable hyperthreading from the BIOS, I am clueless as to how to diagnose missing startup items.  I would really appreciate help diagnosing this for my client. Remember, I know nothing about AutoCAD, so when you say to go to the wonky tab to deselect the jibberty startup items, specify how I get to the wonky tab and how to deselect the jibberty items. 😄

If you have any other ideas on how to speed up the startup, please let me know. Thank you.

Corey

Is this a network license?  If so, can you try borrowing the license and see if that helps the startup time? Directions here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU/Autodesk-Licensing/files/GUID-8E8EDE61-003E-4B7F-B3E7-8D980E409A74-htm.html

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

OK, I spoke to the client and have more information. It seems that the long time of 60 seconds was exaggerated.  It was actually about 20 seconds and when he tested it from another user without networking, it took only 8 seconds to open. Strangely, when he logged back into his user with networking back on, it also took only 8 seconds to load. I told him that was a great start time for such a large program.  Do you concur that 8 seconds is a good load time?

Corey

Message 5 of 7
john.vellek

Hi @camesW6R6X,

I see that you are visiting as a new member. Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Slow startup can occur for a variety of reasons. Typically though, it means that the software is trying to validate a license. If you are using an internal network license server you might review this article.

Here is another article which details how to rebuild the licensing information which should help speed the startup.

You can also Reset Settings to Default (this will remove any customizations) to bring the installation back to "factory settings".

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 6 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Do you concur that 8 seconds is a good load time?

Yes, 8 seconds for start of AutoCAD is very well.

When the workstation is restarted, ... what is the time for the first start of AutoCAD and what is the time of the second and third start?

Always give the memory a bit of time after exiting AutoCAD so it is not any more working on the process cleanup.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thank you all for your help.  Since Autocad now starts in 8 seconds and that is considered good (and the client is now happy with it starting that fast), I consider this topic closed.

Blessings to you all.

Corey

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost