Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Layer Properties Manager partially off screen

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
KEVINMCGINN5278
21974 Views, 25 Replies

AutoCAD Layer Properties Manager partially off screen

I use a two computer screen system for my Auto Cad. My layer properties has jumped partially off of my second screen and I cannot get it sized correctly to be able to see or scroll to all of the layers. Any ideas on how to get this sized correctly and completely back onto my screen so it is able to be used?

@KEVINMCGINN5278

john.vellek has edited your subject line for clarity: Layer Properties

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

HI @KEVINMCGINN5278,

Is there something preventing you from grabbing the dark bar (title bar) and then dragging back to your main screen?

Capture.PNG

Also, if you temporarily remove one display does it correct then?

Can you take a screen shot of what is on your screen?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 26

Hi @KEVINMCGINN5278,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 4 of 26
rory531
in reply to: john.vellek

this is a bug.

I had the same problem. My current setup is Civ3d and 2017 running on windows 10, but should be applicable. I have a setup where I have one monitor above the other monitor, and not side by side. I have this setup in my display settings:

image.png

when I have this setup, I can't get to my layer manager to adjust it, or reposition it. they do not appear on my second display, and I can only get the windows to display correctly if I reposition them to side by side:

image.png

this is a bug

Message 5 of 26
john.vellek
in reply to: rory531

Hi @rory531,

I am able to duplicate this behavior on my side too using AutoCAD 2018.  

I am sorry that that this feature is not working the way that you expect. I will raise the issue with the Development Team.

I encourage you to contact the product team directly through the Product Feedback page.

The links below go into more detail about the best ways to make suggestions.

How to provide feedback on Autodesk products
Raising enhancement requests for Autodesk products

Another great option is to participate in the AutoCAD Customer Council. This is an opportunity for our customers to partner with the AutoCAD development team to improve future releases of AutoCAD by giving continuous feedback on ideas, designs, and early builds.

In order to get involved email autocad.beta@autodesk.com or autocad.lt.council@autodesk.com

John Vellek

Message 6 of 26

Hi,

I had the same.

I'm currently using double 4K monitors with Autocad 2018.

The Layer manager was half off screen to the left and I could not reach the vertical edge-bar thingy.

Turning on and off the left monitor did not help.

I restarted the program and that solved it for me. I'm such an expert in these things.

Cheers

Message 7 of 26

Restarting did not help for me, the best way around it seems to be "right click" in desktop -> display settings -> rearrange the order of your screens to make "dragtab" visible. Its terrible to design windows with the "headbar" on either sides instead of just having it fixed to the top as every other window. 

Message 8 of 26

If you are connected to a laptop through a docking station, try disconnecting from the docking station and reconnecting.  This worked for me.

Message 9 of 26
abeldecosLD
in reply to: kevin.b.kirby

An ongoing issue apparently...that Autodesk doesn't seem interested in addressing! 

I use a three monitor system and have the same issue appear periodically. The best solution I have found (assuming windows 10) is to right click on the desktop, pick "Display Settings" select the monitor that problem occurs on, under "Scale & Layout", then in "Change the size of text, apps, and other item" change the scale factor to something else, then back to what you want. This works for me, YRMV...

Message 10 of 26
RobDraw
in reply to: abeldecosLD

@abeldecosLD wrote:

An ongoing issue apparently...that Autodesk doesn't seem interested in addressing! 

How do you expect them to address this and all of the variables associated with it? We just barely got support for 4K.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 11 of 26
abeldecosLD
in reply to: abeldecosLD

An additional solution I have discovered is to use the Custom User Interface command. Pick from menu or just type "CUI". 

Under "All Customization Files"... Pick "ACAD/Workspace/Drafting & Annotation Default (current)"

Then on the right under "Palettes" Select the palette(s) you are using. 

In the "Properties" area below, select "Orientation" and pick "Right" if your secondary monitor is on the left. This will initially dock the window on the right side of the drawing window. But you can drag it back to the left monitor. The key item is that this now moves the window header to the right side of the window so if it slides off the screen to the left you can grab it back.  

Message 12 of 26

Another way of solving this is to use the secret window control menu present in most Windows apps.

1. Make sure the Properties Manager window is the active window (which you can usually do simply by clicking within it)

2. Press the alt key plus spacebar. Normally this will bring up the window control menu but you may not be able to see it because it will be off the edge of the screen. 

3. Press the M key (for Move) followed by the right arrow.

4. If you've done it correctly you should see the window move a little to the right.  You can now also move it with the mouse.  

5. When the window is in a better position, press the enter key or click the mouse again to restore normal mode. 

This may not work first time for you but you can practice using this ancient (designed for the pre-mouse era) functionality of Windows in something like Notepad first! 

Also to stop the problem reoccuring, try to avoid making the Properties Window too wide. 

Message 13 of 26
RobDraw
in reply to: g.bathurst

@g.bathurst wrote:

Another way of solving this is to use the secret window control menu present in most Windows apps.

It's not a secret anymore.

Rob

Message 14 of 26
cadffm

It is and was never a secret menu, but more important is: This menu is part of programs and dialogs(it means a specific item of the gui).

But the Layer properties manager is since version 2009 as default a Palette(it means a specific item of the gui),

and palettes doesn't have this menu (for dialogs).

So far we er are talking about the Layer properties manager PALETTE(layerdlgmode=0), this hint is useless, sorry.

- Sebastian -
Message 15 of 26
g.bathurst
in reply to: cadffm

I'm talking about the layer property manager. Here you can see it with the control menu displayed

Layer prop mgr.png

Message 16 of 26
cadffm

Exactly,

and there you can see nothing what you talked about in #12, 5h ago.

Also you can not open this menu with [ALT]+[SPACE]

And that's what i tried to say, all what you wrote in #12 has nopthing to do with

the Layerproperties Manager PALETTE.

Nothing more.

Perhaps, i didn't understood your offtopic #12, sorry if so.

- Sebastian -
Message 17 of 26
g.bathurst

I'm not an expert on AutoCAD nomenclature.  All I know is that the exact window given by the OP, the layer properties manager, can be moved when it is undocked and offscreen by using the control menu functionality of Windows, as my screenshot shows, and you *can* open this menu using alt-space. But if you don't like the tip, feel free not to use it. 

Message 18 of 26
cadffm

Hey,

First: i like all tip if they are right.

Second: you last picture shows a palette(layerpropery manager palette)

with a menu open.

1. This menu is not the menu you explained in your answer, right?

2. This menu can not move the floating(undocked) palette, right?

3. You can not open this or another menu of the palette with alt+space, right?

It like to know where my mistake is, why i can not follow you.

Can you or someone else help me to understand it?

Hmm

- Sebastian -
Message 19 of 26
RobDraw

@cadffm, using MEP 2020 here and that menu does open with [Alt]+[Space] and the pallet can be moved. I don't know what you are doing wrong.

Rob

Message 20 of 26
cadffm
in reply to: RobDraw

@RobDraw THANK YOU! ( and @g.bathurst ) 😀

First: The Picture is not the menu we talk about ( alt+m ), all the same opinion? ok.

(this is the context menu of the palette titelbar)

Back alt+m & palettes, now i know what&why i can't following..

I had a problem with "Manager window is the active window", that's all 😕

1. It looks like that every time i tried it, i made the same mistake,

I was clicking into the palette, but then i moved the cursor back - outside of palette,

and by moving outside of palette area the focus is not longer on the palette.

2. So it is really usable, but only if you can see a part of palettes, because you can set the focus

with the mouse ONLY. _layerclose&_.layer will not set the focus to the palette.

Great, i learned new thing, thanks to all, even if this case is very, very rare,

99% of the questions in the forum are completely outside the ad.

Kudos for you, THX

- Sebastian -

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost