Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD keeps crashing when saving or opening

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
FWBArch
3977 Views, 12 Replies

AutoCAD keeps crashing when saving or opening

We have a Dell m4800 Laptop that keeps on crashing randomly during saves or sometimes when opening. We have submitted multiple error reports under the email of sa@fwbarch.com. We have replaced the entire laptop with dell (after a couple months of dealing with them) with the seemingly random crashing that keep reaccuring. We have updated drivers, completly uninstalled and reinstalled autocad though the crashes still happen.

Can you review the error reports and make any suggestions as to what is causeing this. We have another laptop in the office that is the exact same make and model and works fine. We also run copies of Autocad LT around the office without the random crashes.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
FeeopEngr
in reply to: FWBArch

Just out of curiosity, create a new dwg and copy/paste your dwg into it, then try to save with a new name (rename after if it works) and see if it still crashes. I had a similar issue a while back.
Feeop
Message 3 of 13
scott.a.green

@FWBArch,

There are a few things you can try, here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot this issue. 

1. If stored over the network, move the file to a local drive. 

2. Open the file using the RECOVERY tool or command. 

3. Audit the file. 

4. Purge the file. 

5. Update the graphics card driver.  http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

6. Run AutoCAD as administrator. 

7. Disable the Windows User Account Control. 

8. Turn off Windows Aero (If using Windows 7) 

9. Reset AutoCAD to defaults

10. Repair the .NET and C++ installations. 

11. Repair the AutoCAD installation. 

12. Use the EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command OR the WBLOCK command and save out the geometry to a new file (If you can open the file). 

Please let me know if any of this helps. 

First Name Last Name or First Name.Last Initial
Public Facing Job Title
Link Name | Link Name | Link Name | Link Name
Message 4 of 13
scott.a.green

@FWBArch,

I haven't heard back from you, any success with the steps I provided? Are you still crashing?  If my suggestions have helped, please mark the post as 'accept as solution'. 

Public Facing Job Title
Message 5 of 13
FWBArch
in reply to: scott.a.green

Unfortunatley none of these solutions have helped with the seemingly random crashes around saves and opening. We do use files over a network, but we can't really move them off of the network as other people still require the files, and would cause conflicts if just a copy was taken. We don't seem to have any other issues with the other people on the network.

Message 6 of 13
scott.a.green

@FWBArch,

I found the CERs you sent in, it looks like this was for AutoCAD 2015, not 2016. I reported the issue to development and found that this behavior should be resolved for 2016. 

From what I have found regarding the FATAL ERROR message, you should try the following:

1. Completely uninstall the .NET Framework and Visual C++ Redistributable and re-download them directly from Microsoft and reinstall.

2. Reset AutoCAD to defaults.

3. Rebuild the user's profile.

Are the users up to date on service packs? Do they have SP2 installed for 2015? Are their hardware configurations the same?

Public Facing Job Title
Message 7 of 13

Is there a permanent solution for this issue yet? I am having the same issue and have tried all of the above. Running AutoCAD 2018 and keeps crashing when trying to open and save.

Message 8 of 13

ME TOO; 2018...just a couple of drawings, but I cannot even copy paste, or wblock.

Purged, and audited but no errors found.  Will not save, or save as.

Message 9 of 13
pendean
in reply to: mmilesarchitect

Post your two problem DWG files here, and let us know what version of AutoCAD you are running.
Message 10 of 13
john.vellek
in reply to: charlie.kane

Hi @charlie.kane,

I am sorry that you are experiencing crashing with your AutoCAD. Can you please verify that you have fully updated and patched both Windows and AutoCAD? 

To update your AutoCAD, please check the Autodesk Desktop App or go to your account page. Do you experience this problem with specific files or with even  a new empty drawing file?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 11 of 13

Uninstalling the latest ACAD 2018 SP has worked to solve my problem with saving files.  There you have it, the handy and helpful service pack - which I learned I needed from the desktop APP - was ABSOLUTELY the problem; and a fix to problems I wasn't experiencing.  

Message 12 of 13

TRY ALSO SETTING SYSTEM VARIABLE SAVEFIDELITY TO 0; 

that may actually be the fix to my own (seemingly) random file saving problems.  I'm not sure if installing the SP caused something to change; or if it was a coincidence this problem began around the time I loaded the SP.  

see also:  https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Saving...

not holding my breath, but my issue(s) seem to have been resolved.

Message 13 of 13

I am been experiencing some similar issues but is just when I am closing the file, zoom in to fit scren and them AutoCAD freeze so  I have to forced to end running with "ctlr+alt+del". I did audit, audit, purge, -purge and nothing works.  I did install all AutoCAD Architecture 2022 updates but is still doing the same. Can someone see what will be the issue and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Farid

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost