Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Enormous PDFxxxx.tmp Files

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
2736 Views, 19 Replies

AutoCAD Enormous PDFxxxx.tmp Files

Hi everyone,

We here are currently using AutoCAD 2017 throughout our offices, (rolled out 2018 to two machines..but anyway) we have been seeing hundreds of these PDFxxxx.tmp files being created.  Now I'm just guessing that it's related to AutoCAD, I can't say for sure, but it just seems to have started after the 2017 rollout.  Example name of one of these files: "PDF53B8.tmp".

Our issue is that these PDF.tmp files are usually about 1GB each and there are usually at least 50 of them over a few month period.

Can someone from Autodesk (or whomever really) please verify that, 1. This is indeed AutoCAD producing these files  2. Why these files are here?  3.  Is there a setting in AutoCAD to have it clean the temporary folder of it's garbage upon closing?

Thank you

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

What PDF driver are you using in your AutoCAD installation to produce PDFs? Do you have third-party PDF drivers installed too?

Where do these files get created? Can you attach one of the smaller tmp files to a post?

Please create a NFO file for me to look at.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi there, our designers are currently using Bluebeam CAD Revu 2016, 2017.

We have a few designers who stubbornly refuse Bluebeam and are using Acrobat Adobe Std X, we still see the issue happening with them as well. 

Ah I'm sorry, not sure why I didn't include the path.

c:\users\username\appdata\local\temp\

I will indeed.  

I just confirmed that they are produced by AutoCAD, I opened the one attached in Notepad++ (it's just what I use, I'm sure regular Notepad will work fine)

Here's what a short tidbit says: (W2D V06.01)(Layer 0 __DrawLayer) (Layer 1 __SelectLayer)(Viewport 'pdf underlay'
(Contour 1 4 0,0 0,2400000 3600000,2400000 3600000,0)

The rest is just 'gibberish'.

I'm just trying to understand also if this is with the new feature of importing over a PDF or when my designers import the PDF as a block...or..xref or w/e it's called. 

****I had to cheat the upload attachment process by changing the extension of the attached file from .tmp to .doc because I received the following error****

Error: The file PDF8053.tmp does not have a valid extension for an attachment and has been removed. 3dp,3ds,ach,ai,art,ass,asx,avi,axm,bm,bmp,cfz,chm,cps,csv, blah blah etc etc. are the valid extensions.

Thank you

Message 4 of 20
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I don't have either BlueBeam or Acrobat on my computer. I looked in my temp folder and I did have a handful of PDF###.tmp files there. None were the size you are describing in your environment.

I do regularly clean out my temp folder as part of my regular computer maintenance.

If you use one of the built-in drivers (AutoCAD PDF or DWG to PDF) from AutoCAD do you see these temp files being added/growing in that folder?

I would open the folder during a plot to PDF to see what happens.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

I don't have a designer who's able to troubleshoot, so let me install autocad 2017 on my computer, I have a trial of 2018 as well, so I can test both 🙂

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

However the file extension indicates they are indeed temporary files.  System files should be maintained by regular housekeeping to eliminate not only temporary files like these, but also any "trash" left hanging about by a crash (and there's always quite a bit of that.  I have a batch file I run at least once a week, or after recovery from a crash.  USE AT YOUR OWN RISK  Make sure you are out of all applications, I usually run it first thing every Thursday morning, no special reason for Thursday just picked a day.  USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Copy the below and paste into a text file in notepad and save it to your desktop as CLEAN.BAT.  You can edit the directories to match your specific directory structure.  There are two sets of directory sweeps, the first removes unused content (*.*) from directories and subdirectories, the second sweep removes unused subdirectories (*.) after their contents have been removed.  The folders shown here are a sample of what I sweep using this function, you can add any other directories in the same format, but understand that sweeping the wrong folder can make your computer a very expensive paperweight ... in a paperless office. 

Note: the batch file below targets AutoCAD 2015 GraphicsCache, you'll need to edit that for your application.  

Note: the batch file below sweeps "my" autosave directory, I keep it separate so its easy to find, be sure to alter to your location

Note: the function deletes (rd) three directories; C:\temp\, C:\windows\temp and the recycle.bin directory.  My system rebuilds those as needed.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

The function ends up running the windows cleanmgr.exe which should be run regularly.  It takes about 5 minutes to complete

cd c:\
@echo Starting Temp Clean Up!

del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\"*.* /s /q
del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\R20.0\enu\GraphicsCache\"*.* /s /q
del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\"*.* /s /q
del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Google\GoogleEarth\webdata\"*.* /s /q
del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Google\GoogleEarth\unified_cache_leveldb_leveldb2\"*.* /s /q
del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\"*.* /s /q
del "C:\Windows\Temp\"*.* /s /q
del "C:\Temp\"*.* /s /q
del "C:\Autosave\"*.* /s /q

del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\"*. /s /q
del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\R20.0\enu\GraphicsCache\"*. /s /q
del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Cache\"*. /s /q
del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Google\GoogleEarth\webdata\"*. /s /q
del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\LocalLow\Google\GoogleEarth\unified_cache_leveldb_leveldb2\"*. /s /q
del "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\"*. /s /q
del "C:\Windows\Temp\"*. /s /q
del "C:\Temp\"*. /s /q
del "C:\Autosave\"*.* /s /q

rd C:\Temp\ /s /q

rd C:\Windows\Temp\ /s /q

rd /s %systemdrive%\$Recycle.bin /s /q

%windir%\system32\cleanmgr.exe /c:

@echo Finished Temp Clean Up!

@echo off

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

BTW, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

Hi rculp,

Thank you for posting that, I appreciate it, though scheduling a disk cleanup through GPO on a time basis might be best suited for our purpose.

Regardless, I would like to figure out how these are being generated, though again, thank you.

That being said, I did install AutoCAD 2017, I just opened a new drawing and tinkered with it a bit.  I imported a PDF, no temp file.  I printed to PDF, nothing.  I...well...I tried creating a PDF viewport, which I think I was successful, no .tmp file.

I can try opening a file that has a ton of Xrefs/pdfs or something.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

many applications create many temp files, if I run a clean system they don't matter, I don't fret over them.

and scheduled cleans seem to miss the corners for some reason.

Message 9 of 20
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

In my experience I have only seen these TMP files when creating PDF files and not when importing.

From the file you sent me it appears that it was trying to produce contours. Perhaps a look at the drawing file(s) for abnormalities might be useful. You are welcome to send me a sample one.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

Yes, that's very true.  But we have about 60 designers, it'd take a bit of work to split every single one up into a group and push a policy that cleans up cache on their machines.  Though we very well could and have been kicking the idea around, though at the same time it hasn't been necessary.

I'd much rather find out what these are, on one machine, these PDFxxx.tmp files have totaled well over 40GB.  (though that particular user hadn't had a cleanup in probably a year and a half)

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

Shoot...We literally have 10s of thousands of drawings.  I wouldn't even know where to begin 😛

I'm here in IT, not even remotely close to a designer.  Is there any possible way I could replicate this from my end?

I will....open the biggest drawing I can find haha

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

we have over 400 users in four cities .....

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

Look, your .bat file is archaic.  Push out Disk cleanup instead...I mean what you're doing is inefficient and too specific.

Perhaps step up to a better way of disk cleanup.

We're fine with what we're doing, our machines are running great, therefore there hasn't been a need for any sort of cleaning.

I'd also appreciate it if you had some actual input, rather than sarcasm.

But hey, that's just me.

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous

yep the bat file IS archaic ... but it works when scheduled Disk cleanups fail to cover the specific zones used by MANY applications, (especially AutoCAD) we have stepped up to "better" solutions and then fall back to tried and true when the "better" options fail to do a complete job.

If your machines are running great why are you fretting over some temporary file creation??  ... and if you thought anything I posted was sarcasm, you need a better dictionary.

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

With no examples of stepping up to better solutions, I find it hard to believe you have.  Since there's a tool that's built into Windows that cleans up those directories you've listed.

As far as fretting goes, it's a problem when a temporary cache takes such an enormous amount of space on someone's harddrive, no matter how often you clean.  There are unanswered questions in regards to this, the 1GB tmp files I've seen, are those being created on the fly?  If so, the performance of the machine suffers greatly when dealing with large files such as those, which causes our designers to work slower, thus losing the company money.  Now I doubt it'd be much money, but that's beside the point here.

I thought you sounded like a smart ass, but perhaps I was wrong.

Anyway, @john.vellek, I will revisit this issue tomorrow and find a drawing that has contours.

Thank you for your help and have a great rest of your day/evening. 

Message 16 of 20
john.vellek

HI @Anonymous,

You might also investigate this issue with BlueBeam as well as Adobe to determine how they cache information as they create a PDF.

I am GUESSING that while a user uses PUBLISH to create a PDF drawing set from either a lot of drawing sheets or from complex drawings that might also contain images and other PDF files, that the tmp file can get quite large.  Normally I think these get cleared out but as I said, even my Temp folder had some so it is possible that if there is a burp in the processing, that the file doesn't get removed or perhaps a new one is created and the old is left abandoned.

I suggest sitting down with one of your designers and watch that folder as they go through their PDF processing...perhaps a big set of drawings or complex ones. I suspect you will see the TMP file for a bit of time and maybe remain afterwards.

John Vellek

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

Yep there is a Windows tool that is supposed to clean those directories ... it doesn't always clean those directories completely, which is why we fell back to archaic but works.

Run a 400GB laser scan project from LFM through Recap and 40~ 1GB temp files will appear absolutely tiny, and if they're gone the next morning why fret? If large files on hard-drives are causing machine performance issues there may be another issue at play with hardware, but I'll butt out.

Message 18 of 20
pendean

tmp extensions are created by the system when a function designed to create a file fails. Could be as simple as the user not having read/write/rename/delete rights in that folder, could be a lot more. You've not done enough research IMHO.

You need to make time with the correct PC/User to figure out more details and triggers: I understand your are IT, but you are trying to solve a problem without knowing all the facts. Start digging a lot deeper than you have now, start with a user that is seeing all of these first hand too.

With 60-users, is no one a "cad manager" at this place? Sorry, but IT doesn't qualify. That person is probably who you need to team up with, do so quickly.

Post your mutual findings if you are still stumped: bet your CAD Guru knows what's up.
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi Pendean,

Haha, well you're absolutely right.  That's interesting though and gives me a great place to start looking.

I have planned that to be my next step for sure, is to meet with one of our designers and do some testing.

We just mainly wanted to see if someone knew exactly what caused these tmp files to sprout and whether it was by design or not.

Our designers know nothing about the files that are gobbling up their memory and if they have issues, they know how to reach out to us.  Though a CAD guru would be nice 😛

Anyway, thanks, I'll do some more digging. 

Message 20 of 20
pendean

There are many web topics on what you are describing, so reach out to the Bluebeam team as well for help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report