Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Crash on a Single Screen

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
hcasnerCO
823 Views, 23 Replies

AutoCAD Crash on a Single Screen

When I open AutoCAD on my laptop, AutoCAD crashes. When I connect my laptop to a second screen, and keep my laptop closed, AutoCAD works fine. Has anyone seen this before?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: hcasnerCO

Hi,

try to start AutoCAD without hardware acceleration as described >>>here<<<.

HTH; - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 24
john.vellek

Hi @hcasnerCO,

It sounds like your laptop might have more than one graphics card.  When you connect the other monitor it might be forcing AutoCAD to use a specific one. Please start your AutoCAD with the No Hardware switch as wisely suggested by @Alfred.NESWADBA and then type GRAPHICSCONFIG. Please take a screen capture of the resulting window using the Windows Snipping Tool. Attach it to a post so I can take a look.

It would also be helpful if you could prepare a NFO file for me to examine.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 24
hcasnerCO
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred, but it still crashes after I make the change.

Message 5 of 24
hcasnerCO
in reply to: john.vellek

John,

Thanks for the help. I do have a dedicated graphics card in my machine. However, when I type in GRAPHICSCONFIG, I get an Unknown Command message. I am running AutoCAD LT 14. I tried the /NOHARDWARE recommendation and that does not seem to have worked.

I have an NFO file, where can I e-mail that?

Message 6 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I am running AutoCAD LT 14

"14" or "2014"? That are 2 different things 😉

And which operating system are you running?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 24
hcasnerCO
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

That is very true... LT 2014. I am running it on Windows 8.1.

Message 8 of 24
john.vellek

Hi @hcasnerCO,

Rt click on this icon in the Tool bar at the bottom of your AutoCAD window.

Capture.PNG

Another option to check is to run a Diagnostic Startup to see if you have a conflicting application.

From what I can tell in the NFO you sent, everything looks good. Can you however, check which version of .NET is installed currently? There are some known issues with the .Net Framework 4.7 updates breaking things.  If you are on 4.7, please remove it and then re-install 4.6.2. Once this is installed go ahead and install a fresh copy of .Net Framework 4.7. .Net downloads can be found here.

Please let me know if this remedies the problem.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 9 of 24
hcasnerCO

So..... I cannot find Microsoft .net Framework in my control panel to uninstall it. But when I try to install version 4.6.2, it won't load, saying ".NET Framework 4.6.2 or a later update is already installed on this computer."

Message 10 of 24
hcasnerCO

Here's an interesting development. I have realized that I can type commands and AutoCAD will work. However, when I use a button from the ribbon, it will crash.

Message 11 of 24
john.vellek

Hi @hcasnerCO,

I found this link to a .Net uninstall tool. Perhaps this will get things back to normal.

John Vellek

Message 12 of 24
john.vellek

Hi @hcasnerCO,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem. Please add a post with how you decide to proceed and your results so other Community members may benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if a post or posts solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 13 of 24
hcasnerCO

Hi John,

Sorry for the slow response. The .NET uninstall and reinstall did not work. I can get AutoCAD to work if I type all the commands. As soon as I hit a button on the Ribbon, it crashes.

Message 14 of 24
sonppw

Make sure you set CAD with the dedicated graphic card.

I think Why the second monitor works fine is processing the discrete graphic card, But your laptop is maybe working integrated graphic card.

This Link explains how to set the high-performance graphic card on your CAD.

Message 15 of 24
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

can you show us the resolutions your displays have, I'm just guessing they are working with different resolutions and that could be a reason for being handled differently.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 16 of 24
john.vellek

Hi @hcasnerCO,

I am checking back to see if you can share a screen capture of your GRAPHICSCONFIG window. I would like to see which video card is being used, the driver and which version of DirectX is being utilized.

John Vellek

Message 17 of 24
hcasnerCO

I type in GRAPHICSCONFIG and my command line says "Unknown Command GRAPHICSCONFIG".

Message 18 of 24
hcasnerCO
in reply to: sonppw

My NVIDIA Control Panel does not give me the option to "Select High-performance NVIDIA processor", Step 5 in the NVIDIA directions from your link. I have attached a screenshot.

Message 19 of 24
sonppw

The exact command name is 3DCONFIG (Not GRAPHICSCONFIG)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

When I see your attached image, I notice that Your laptop has one Nvidia graphic card, So You have to forget my answer above, it can't solve your problem.

You need updating Graphic card driver to latest version, if it already installed, roll back to previous driver version, and then test your working.   

This is Nvidia Driver update site.

This is How to rollback driver

Message 20 of 24
john.vellek

Hi @hcasnerCO,

I agree with @sonppw that this is likely a driver issue. I would still like to see a screencapture of this window.

I am also a bit surprised that the GRAPHICSCONFIG was not recognized (it is the same command as 3Dconfig). You could also try _GRAPHICSCONFIG to bring it up. Perhaps this command name changed after your version of AutoCAD as the oldest I have installed to test is 2016.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost