Did you mean: 

AutoCAD autosave not saving

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1722 Views, 9 Replies

AutoCAD autosave not saving

I have autosave set and turned on. I am working with files on a mapped network drive and the save file location is set to a local drive on the computer. 

With such a setup AutoCAD seems to actually autosave something VERY rarely (which is not 'never'). So when I loose my day's, or even an hour's work, it very often turns out AutoCAD had not done a single autosave. 

What is wrong and why does this happen?

(I have experienced this on many previous versions and various computers).

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Read this https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-e....

Make sure you understand AutoSAVE first, it is NEVER a substitution for manually saving often (a rookie mistake we all make and learn painfully from at some point) https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Understa...
"...Automatic saves are only done if a drawing has been modified after the last save. An automatic save will not save to the current drawing...."

Message 3 of 10
RSomppi

@Anonymous wrote:

So when I loose my day's, or even an hour's work

Why is this happening? Are manual saves not working either?

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Thanks, but if I had not made any changes and not worked on the drawings there wouldn't be a problem. 
And yes, the truth is that we turn to the autosave when we forget to Ctrl-S occasionally, but the issue remains: When I work on files opened from a mapped drive, AUTOSAVE doesn't autosave (or it does but utterly unreliably). I encountered this on previous releases of AutoCAD as well.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: RSomppi

Yeah, obviously the problem is when I need to turn to autosave because for whatever reason a manual save was not performed.

Message 6 of 10
RSomppi

The reason to turn to autosave is if AutoCAD crashes. Those files are deleted when the file is closed, with or without saving. I think you are relying on it inappropriately.

Message 7 of 10
pendean

>>>... for whatever reason a manual save was not performed....<<<

@Anonymous That's not how it works, it never has, still does not, you literally are hoping for something that does not exist.

But... the first link in my first reply to you are tips of fixing it if it is truly broken. Dive in. Just remember you cannot get it to do what it is not designed to do. Ever.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Yeah, ok - I think I get now what my problem is. So its not autoCad not autosaving in certain instances (those might be coincidences that I'm only interpreting as a bug) but just deleting autosaves it thinks are unnecessary due to my own actions?

Thanks for you help! 

Message 9 of 10
RobDraw

You're welcome.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 10 of 10
malcolmZHMSM

I think I understood what was being asked. I have a similar problem which I think is onedrive. If I try to setup a different folder in documents (new location) somehow no matter what I do the path always reverts to onedrive and the permission on the folder is read only. The autosave file shows for a moment then disappears and if I check the permissions in the folder it always reverts to read only and I assume that is why the file disappears. I guess its another windows thing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report