Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2018 new features

96 REPLIES 96
Message 1 of 97
ingegnerizuccolo
7070 Views, 96 Replies

AutoCAD 2018 new features

I just installed Autocad 2018 and watched the new feature video.

I just want to resume them all in one word:

NOTHING!

It's really a shame. I don't understand why I have to pay every year to maintain the subscription to have absolutely nothing new.

Shame shame shame!

96 REPLIES 96
Message 81 of 97
dieters
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred,

I'd expect the reason would be to keep the new control quick and simple, but I'll ask the designer.

No, I would not expect the old version to be removed . . . we try not to provoke mobs with torches and pitchforks when possible. 😉

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Principal Learning Experience Designer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 82 of 97
neo5869
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I've found a much easier way, though it takes a few minutes to set it up. I just created my own custom tool bar with the layer info included and now I don't need the QAT. The QAT is limited and not very customizable .Capture.JPG

Message 83 of 97
dieters
in reply to: neo5869

neo5869,

Did you try right-clicking on any ribbon button?

And just so you don't think I'm smug, I found out about this a couple of minutes ago. 

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 84 of 97
neo5869
in reply to: dieters

This is about changing the width of the QAT, not adding it. Right clicking on any ribbon just gives you the option to only add it.

Message 85 of 97
dieters

neo5869,

Yes, understood. My point was that you can easily add any button to the QAT--in this case from the Home tab, Layers panel. To your point, once you do so, it's easy to access the Layer Combo properties from the CUI:

007.png

Maybe, it would be nice to add a direct way to change the properties of QAT buttons. What do you think?

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 86 of 97

@Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for reporting this. Smiley Frustrated  I would call it an oversight, vs. an intentional difference.  You should join our Beta program!  No one brought this issue up. 

Visit http://beta.autodesk.com to sign up.

I don't anticipate removing the old way.  Nearly all Ribbon controls have the "Add to Quick Access Toolbar" option. 

BTW, can you tell me what Minimum size do you use in the CUI dialog?  350 as in your screenshot?  I noticed that we only display a maximum of 55 characters in the layer drop down regardless of how wide you make the Layer Combo Box.

Thanks!

Karen Mason

Principal Experience Designer - AutoCAD

Twitter
Message 87 of 97
neo5869

Yes that would be a good idea, but creating your own custom tool bar solves all of that. I have 1 master toolbar for 2D and my 3D workspaces and i never have to use the QAT.

Message 88 of 97

Hi Karen,

>> BTW, can you tell me what Minimum size do you use in the CUI dialog?  350 as in your screenshot?

Yes, and that is what we need with some (major) Austrian Standards (you can also look to the Civil 3D templates from the Austrian CK).

Maximum I have found now is 64char, whereas 55char is ok as within the first 55 chars there are enough significant letters to be able to differentiate between layer-names.

If this is interesting for you I have attached an XLS with the layers used in C3D according to Austrian Standard(s).

20170324_005254.png

>> I don't anticipate removing the old way

Sounds great! THX!

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 89 of 97
dieters

neo5869,

No argument here. Some people like the space they gain with the QAT, others like the larger tools and flexibility with one or more toolbars. I just like to encourage people to customize their workspace to enhance their speed. My architect neighbor uses the ribbon with tabs named after each stage in his workflow. Most of his buttons are custom routines. It doesn't even look like AutoCAD after his customizations.

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 90 of 97
jggerth
in reply to: mw111368

@mw111368 wrote:

Autodesk really need to drop the annual upgrades.

Downloading, cutting in license file, updating Flexnet, distributing to hundreds of users, and for what!

With such small updates why don't they adopt the Microsoft approach of continually distributed updates.

I personally will not be distributing this version as I cant justify the time.

I'll beg to differ.  Incremental changes to design software used on multi-year projects to create legally binding contract documents should NOT be acceptable.  I would _far_ rather be able to make a reasoned decision about what version/format is being utilized, and upgrade/change if and when it's appropriate for my business case - not suddenly discover that there are unanticipated consequences that leave me open to lawsuits.

The only sftware that (IMO) should be allowed to auto-update is anti-virus/anti-malware.  The current MS approach is bad for operating system stability, and horrible for design.  Developers explicitly reject liability for their fubars - architectural, engineering, and construction professionals _can't_!.

Message 91 of 97
Lineabove
in reply to: mw111368

I agree.

Message 92 of 97

it dose have Centerline like on mech autocad you pick 2 lines and it draws a center line in the middle of it not the centerpoint

Message 93 of 97
rkmcswain
in reply to: TSneo5869

tshelby wrote:

Actually there are a few new features that I am excited about. Now off screen selection is possible, where before with 2017 and prior if you started a selection box for a large drawing when you panned off screen anything off of the screen would be removed from the selection.

That is one of a few new features, that were actually already available via the 2017.1 update.

I think as more and more people get on the rental plan, the lines between "versions" will become more and more blurred, and you'll just always have the latest version, presuming you download and install the updates.  If you're paying as you go, what difference does it really make if you get one new feature per month, or 12 new features once a year?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 94 of 97
dieters
in reply to: rkmcswain

By the way, RK, did you notice anything different about the presentation of New and Updated Commands and System Variables topics in Help?  🙂

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 95 of 97
rkmcswain

@DieterS --- HYPERLINKS! ❤️
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 96 of 97
dieters
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thank you for the suggestion.

Dieter

Dieter Schlaepfer
Autodesk, Inc.
San Rafael, California
Message 97 of 97
jafarsydi

AutoCAD 2018 new features. Autodesk really need to drop the annual upgrades.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost