AutoCAD 2018 DPI scaling 4K

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
10249 Views, 14 Replies

AutoCAD 2018 DPI scaling 4K

Good Afternoon,

I've recently installed AutoCAD 2018 on a machine using a 3840x2160(4K) main monitor, and a 1920x1080(1080p) secondary monitor that previously used AutoCAD 2017. I'm aware that 2017 did not officially support 4K and some elements(layer/properties/xref windows) did not scale correctly due to DPI scaling within windows 10(64 bit), but the majority of it worked just fine. Custom Icons automatically loaded the 32x32 editions(where available), and appeared clearly.

I've installed 2018, and when opening it, all of the toolbars are scaled in an odd format to cause them to become blurry, and not fill the toolbar frames properly. If i toggle the "use large buttons for toolbars" option under display, on and off, it causes the toolbar frames to become the correct size, but the icons are still small and blurry. Other elements seem to have scaling issues as well.

I've tried changing the compatibility settings to ignore dpi scaling, disconnected the secondary monitor and tried using the 1080p monitor as my main desktop, to no avail. AutoCAD 2017 continues to work *almost* properly.

Has anyone seen any behavior similar to this before? Could it have something to do with migrating profiles from 2017 to 2018?

I've included some photos for comparison. It appears the toolbar frames try to be the right size in 2018 after the size option is toggled, but icons are still small and scaled to something that isn't 16x16 or 32x32...

Toolbar setup for AutoCAD 2017 (large buttons turned on)Toolbar setup for AutoCAD 2017 (large buttons turned on)Blurry AutoCAD 2018 before setting changeBlurry AutoCAD 2018 before setting changeBlurry AutoCAD 2018 with Large Buttons turned offBlurry AutoCAD 2018 with Large Buttons turned offBlurry AutoCAD 2018 with large buttons turned onBlurry AutoCAD 2018 with large buttons turned on

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

2018 button icons are blurry: Autodesk scaled them instead of redrawing them. Scaling raster images makes them blurry.

Nothing you can do abut it: might get fixed for real in R2019 or R2025 or R2050, no one knows for sure yet.
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

AutoCAD original and Custom Icons correctly show their 32x32 counterparts in 2017 on toolbars, so I'd expect that it would do the same in 2018. Nothing had issues causing blurriness in 2017 at 4K. In 2018 it appears to load the 32x32 icons only after toggling the large button option, but scales the toolbars on top of that.

I realize that looking at the 2017 photos on a 1080p monitor causes them to appear blurry. They are not. 

To reiterate, it was working fine in 2017, and is no longer in 2018. 

Message 4 of 15
pendean

>>>...'d expect that it would do the same in 2018...<<<

One more time... R2018 button icons are blurry: these are Autodesk changes you cannot control.

This has nothing to do with R2017 or its button icons. Comparisons to R2017 are irrelevant sadly.

This is the reality today in R2018.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Well i appreciate the insight... I'll have my eyes peeled for an update.

I had my fingers crossed when 2018.1 mentioned high resolution displays, but alas it did nothing.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Just to add to this thread, I installed 2017.1.2 update this morning, and it fixed all of the previous minor scaling issues i had in 2017. Guess ill be sticking with that for now.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

Hey Mac3210,

Its late here in Sydney having unboxed my new BenQ PD3200U and LG 24BK750Y and spending 4 hours trying to get it sorted, so sorry if this sounds a bit random.

For me its not just the icons that are fuzzy but everything... text, file tab surrounds (edges), layout surrounds. A bit distracting with the LG so sharp. 

I even had trouble with the second screen dropping palettes (I had 3 1080s before so I think they went to the ghost...)

When I finally got the second screen to hold a palette its sharp.

Do you think going back to 2017 with the update you mentioned solves the 4k primary/1080 secondary prob?

AutoDesk must know we have such configs now (or a couple of years ago for ones without big budgets).

Appreciate you advice.

Cheers,

Darren

PS Im on a 7700k and GTX 1060 6Gb on W10

At home the Precision 5510 m1000m 4k took the 2018 update well, and its actually usable now...

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Good Morning!

I've yet to see an update/service pack come around for AutoCAD 2018, so i haven't bothered trying to fix it. 2017 still works well enough (A few items don't scale perfectly, but are still legible and nothing is blurry), whereas 2018 has the blurriness issue and abnormal scale on some items regardless of my DPI scale option in windows 10, or whether my 1080p vs 4K monitor are set as my default monitor.

If i figure out a way to fix the issue, or AutoCAD comes out with an update to fix their problem, ill be sure to write an update.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

My thanks mac,
I will give that a try on Monday.
To the people who love to draught.
Darren
Message 10 of 15
DougFresh760

I use manifest files in the executable path.  This problem started when 4k first came out.  This was supposed to be fixed in 2018 but got worse.  the manifest file sets the app to "DPI Aware" mode=off.  Needed for Vault as well.  Just rename the file attached to the same name as the exe with the suffix.manifest and pace in the exe path.

Message 11 of 15
Jan-TSpD
in reply to: DougFresh760

Hello @DougFresh760 ,

is there already a solution for this issue? I am using two 4k monitors and some scrollbars in Plant 3D are not shown / visible.

regards, Jan

Message 12 of 15
DougFresh760
in reply to: Jan-TSpD

We use a manifest file. Place this file in the autodesk folder next to the acad.exe file. You can change the name and use it for vault as well.
Message 13 of 15
Jan-TSpD
in reply to: DougFresh760

Hello,

is this the same as changing the DPI as shown below?

1. Right-click the AutoCAD shortcut or the exeprogram file and choose Properties.
  2. Under the Compatibility tab, click "Change high DPI settings"
  3. Enable Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by: System.

This has worked for me just now.

regards, Jan

Message 14 of 15
DougFresh760

No .. its tell the program that the system is not DPI AWARE and defaults the video settings.
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Thank you, this worked for me also. I set mine to "System (Enhanced)"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report