Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2017 Unable to create logfile... Fatal Error

30 REPLIES 30
SOLVED
Message 1 of 31
ADA-Adam
15442 Views, 30 Replies

AutoCAD 2017 Unable to create logfile... Fatal Error

Since installing AutoCAD 2017 (included with Building and Design Suite premium 2017), everytime I try to open a file from explorer i get the same error messages and AutoCAD just closes. 

C:\Windows\system32\<drawing_name>.log

Unable to create logfile for this drawing; maximum number reached.

Please delete some log files from this directory. 

I hit ok then get a FATAL ERROR message. 

FATAL ERROR: Unhandled Delayload "RegisterToday.dll" Module Not Found

Exception at fcd7a06dh

When I go to the file path mentioned, the file doesn't exist so there is nothing to delete. No .log files at all in fact. Also the folder is labeled System32 instead of system32. Not sure if that makes a difference. 

Any ideas how to fix this? 

Windows 7 Home Premium.

All updates to date installed. 

Also have AutoCAD 2016 installed. 

Tags (1)
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
ADA-Adam
in reply to: ADA-Adam

Update:

If I double click on the .dwg file I get the errors. Also, if I first open AutoCAD and then drag and drop the file, I get the errors.

However, if I first open AutoCAD then choose open file and navigate to my drawing, it opens just fine. 

Message 3 of 31
john.vellek

HI @ADA-Adam,

I am sorry to see you are having this problem. Let's try a couple of things.

First, try logging onto the computer as a new user with administrator permissions to see if the problem persists.

If that works, then logging on as your normal user account you could try Reset settings to Default.

Lastly (yes there are three things I would like you to try) try repairing the program or even uninstalling and reinstalling it from the Windows Control Panel>Programs.

Please post your results so I can continue to assist you.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 31
john.vellek

HI Akralkay,

I am checking back to see if my post helped you with your problem. Please add a post with your results so other Forum users can benefit.

Please hit the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 31
ADA-Adam
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John, 

Thanks for your reply. 

Your solution requries of fair amount of work that will take some time. I was hoping there would be a much quicker and simpler solution than creating additional admin accounts (my account is already an admin) and uninstalling/reinstalling the software. This is a problem I am having at work and will be hard to justify spending the time to try these solutions.

When I get a few free hours I may give it a shot. Until then, I will just continue to use AutoCAD 2016 as it works just fine and there are really no valuable improvements to 2017 that warrant the work required to get it functioning properly. 

Unfortunately, in fear of this becoming a problem on the many other identicle workstations in the office, I won't be installing 2017 on those computers either untill I can make sure it works. 

I will report back if and when I get it working properly. 

Message 6 of 31
JDMather
in reply to: john.vellek

I get this same error when attempting to import an AutoCAD 2017 3D dwg into Inventor 2017. 

The process still works even though I get the error.

This never happened to me before installing the 2017 releases.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 31
john.vellek

Hi @ADA-Adam,

The Reset settings to Default is a quick process and also allow you to save your current settings before the reset occurs. This is a quick test to see if the issue goes away when the profile gets cleaned up.

An even faster method is to simply add a new Local administrator account on the workstation. This creates a new profile and allows us to see if the issue exists for all profiles.

I would like to know the results of these test before we go so far as a reinstall.

I see that the reset works for similar errors and hope that it will do so for yours as well.

John Vellek

Message 8 of 31

Hello Mr. Mather,

I have the same problem when I try to import .dwg to Inventor 2016. Problem happened after instaling Product Design Suite Ultimate 2017.

screen.png

Did you solve a problem?

Regards

Danijel

Inventor 2018/Windows 10 x64
If this information was helpful, please consider marking it as an Accepted Solution by using the Accept as Solution. Kudos are also gladly accepted.
Message 9 of 31
indrek
in reply to: danijel.radenkovic

I am getting the same message when trying to import AutoCAD files into Inventor.

Although you dismiss the message and it seems to work okay it has only started since installing Product Design Suite 2017.  Considering the how much we pay for this product I think Autodesk needs to address this with a hotfix which has been done in previous releases as it is not acceptable that we have to do work arounds suggested.

Message 10 of 31
ADA-Adam

Update:

So after simply not using 2017 at all for a week, and continuing to use 2016, the problem seems to have solved itself...

I was using 2016 yesterday until my crosshairs disappeared from workspace(I'm a magnet for software bugs). So I close AutoCAD and double click on the file I was working to relaunch it. For some reason it launches AutoCAD Architecture 2016 instead. So I close it, right click, open with program and navigate to acad.exe in the 2016 folder. Click open and AutoCAD Architecture launches again. So I try again this time selecting the AutoCAD 2017 icon. It launches and I get the same first error message. I click close or whatever but instead of giving me the second fatal error the file opens and seems to be working. I'm skeptical so I close it and try again. Same thing.

I'm still skeptical so in an attempt to get 2016 to again open by default I choose DWG Launcher this time to open the file. It launches AutoCAD 2017 but this time I get no errors. Now I'm just confused so I try it again now that DWG Launcher is set to the default and it opens again in 2017 with no errors. Several file opens and a day later and it's still error free. 

I never got around to creating a new admin account or resetting/reinstalling AutoCAD. Nor did I update any Autodesk program since my original post. Windows did run some updates. Mostly "Security Updates" and one Windows 7 update KB3153731. Not sure if those had anything to do with this.

I'm not going to even try to pretend like I know what was wrong or what fixed it. My hunch is that it had something to do with multiple versions of AutoCAD being installed on the same system. Perhaps they were getting their resources mixed up? 

Message 11 of 31

I am getting the same error using DWG TrueView 2017 as a previewer in M-Files. I am running Windows 7 Professional, SP1, and M-Files 2015.2. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling TrueView, but the error persists. TrueView works fine on its own, the problem only occurs when using it as a previewer.
Message 12 of 31

Hi @bstricklandAUK4D,

Have you tried any of the other solutions mentioned in this thread?

1) Check user permissions and set to be a local administrator

2) Verify that the AutoCAD Launcher is assigned to open the files

I am not sure how your M-Files uses the Trueview product. Is it an integrated viewer? You might have to talk to the manufacturer to see if they can resolve it if they use it as an integrated application.

John Vellek

Message 13 of 31

I am set up as an administrator. AutoCAD is assigned to open DWG files (I use AutoCAD LT 2013). I have also been working with M-Files support, with no luck so far. They pointed me to the same type of error on this thread.
Message 14 of 31

Hi John,

After four days, I have checked possible solutions that you provided.

1) Check user permissions and set to be a local administrator - I am the only user and administrator

2) Verify that the AutoCAD Launcher is assigned to open the files - I have also set AutoCAD 2016 as the main software to open DWG files

Problem still happens.

Regards

Danijel

If this information was helpful, please consider marking it as an Accepted Solution by using the Accept as Solution. Kudos are also gladly accepted.
Message 15 of 31

A user on another post said the problem went away after installing the 2 latest hotfixes for AutoCAD 2017. 

Here's the download link:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/download?_ga=1.196857324.1721010878.1449778011

Message 16 of 31

I have tried your solution but it didn't solve the problem.

Maybe it is somehow connected with DWG TrueView according to title of the message that I am getting as a response. After I click on OK it works fine.

Regards

Danijel

Message 17 of 31

Hi @danijel.radenkovic,

The AutoCAD DWG launcher is not the same as AutoCAD 2016. Set your files to open with the Launcher to see it fixes the problem.

I would also suggest that you try an uninstall, turn off all security software and UAC and then try a reinstall.

Please post your results here.

John Vellek

Message 18 of 31

Can I ask why you have DWG TrueView installed on a system that also has AutoCAD? 

This seems like a different problem than I mentioned in the OP. Anyway, I know that we had a problem with getting the preview of the .dwg to show in explorer a couple years ago... I want to say around 2015 release. I can't remeber exaclty how I fixed it but I know that having DWG TrueView installed also fixed the preview issue. I think it may have been choosing DWG Launcher as the default for .dwg instead of AutoCAD. 

If that is the reason you have DWG TrueView installed, maybe try uninstalling it and selecting DWG Launcher as the default and see if that fixes the problem.  

Message 19 of 31

Thank you for the quick response.

I know that those things are different.

I changed DWG TrueW

View as default program for opening AutoCAD files.

Still the same problem.

Regards

Danijel

Message 20 of 31

The reason why I have installed that DWG TrueView is because it is insalled durring instaling of Product Design Suite Ultimate. I suppose I didn't unchecked option which installs DWG TrueView.

I will try to uninstall it.

Danijel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost