Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2013 DWG format - change in 2018?

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
cornelia.orzel
3400 Views, 13 Replies

AutoCAD 2013 DWG format - change in 2018?

Hello together,

does anybody knows, whether a new DWG file format is planned for the next version of AutoCAD 2018?

Thank you

Cornelia Orzel
Reseller
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
jggerth
in reply to: cornelia.orzel

Anyone who knows, is under an NDA.  Anyone who makes a definitive statement either way either makes up stuff, or can't be trusted. 

Why would the file format change (or not change) be relevant to your operation?

Message 3 of 14
cornelia.orzel
in reply to: jggerth

It's a customer who wants to know this. He says, it's crucial to him to know for his decision to renew the maintenance plan of his perpetual licence in January. He argues that Autodesk definitely knows already whether a change is planned for the new version. Because the new version is already in progress.

Is there a problem to talk already about it?

Cornelia Orzel
Reseller
Message 4 of 14
pendean

>>>...Is there a problem to talk already about it?...<<<
Did you read the reply you got? I'll quote it again:
"Anyone who knows, is under an NDA"
NDA - Non-Disclosure Agreement, aka, silence is required.

Beta is in progress I believe for the next version: have your client sign up, participate, contribute and find out https://beta.autodesk.com
Or you do it, break the NDA, tell everyone about it, have Autodesk take you to court and fine you thousands of $$$ for breaking the rules.

Good luck.
Message 5 of 14
cornelia.orzel
in reply to: pendean

I did not mean to upset anybody - I'm sorry. And I will find a nice way to inform my customer. 🙂

Cornelia Orzel
Reseller
Message 6 of 14
TheCADnoob

I would offer to help him develop a contingency for either case.

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
pendean

No one is upset.

You are a reseller, aren't you? Ask through your reseller network for information, or are you new at M&MS?
Message 8 of 14
cornelia.orzel

No, I'm not new at M&Ms. But thanks for the tip. I will.

Cornelia Orzel
Reseller
Message 9 of 14
jggerth

There is some publicly released information post AU that claims the 2018 format is different - an email newsletter from CAD Learning called The Blast.  I can neither confirm nor deny....... but feel free to read it.

Message 10 of 14
cornelia.orzel
in reply to: jggerth

Thanks very much. 🙂

Cornelia Orzel
Reseller
Message 11 of 14
rkmcswain

Message 12 of 14
cornelia.orzel
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thanks very much for the info. Smiley Happy

Cornelia Orzel
Reseller
Message 13 of 14
ParishSouthBdx

Another issue I'm having in attempting to download AutoCAD2018 is that our company on board virus protection halts the install and reports a virus contained within.  shows all the autodesk links that the program is coming from.  Although, no verification of authenticity of the virus being on Autodesk's end has been determined.  Just my experience.  

And in regards to the AutoCAD DWG format, yes it has been changed.  at the moment I cant recall where I read that, but I'll report back.

Tags (1)
Message 14 of 14

Excerpt from the README file of AutoCAD 2018

"................DWG Format Update

•  The DWG format has been updated to provide improvements in the efficiency of open and save operations, especially for drawings that contain many annotative objects and viewports. Additionally, 3D solid and surface creation now uses the newest geometric modeler (ASM) which provides improved security and stability............."
Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report