Align multiple text objects to each other

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
sloan.campi4
7220 Views, 16 Replies

Align multiple text objects to each other

Hi,

I'm labeling several floorplans with room numbers and square footages.  The square footages are MTEXT single line fields that are automatically calculating closed polyline areas, while the room numbers are separate single line MTEXT.  Our standard annotation shows the room number in the center of the room with the square footage underneath.  Is there a way to quickly align all of the room numbers (MTEXTS) to sit just above each respective square footage number?  I've browsed many different forum boards for a solution, but have been unsuccessful.  I am wondering if there is an LSP out there somewhere that would allow this?

Thanks.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
TheCADnoob
in reply to: sloan.campi4

have you tried TEXTALIGN

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
TheCADnoob

sorry misunderstood

this wont do them all at once but perhaps may help http://www.lee-mac.com/aligntext.html

but its kind of like text align..

CADnoob

EESignature

Message 4 of 17

Hi @sloan.campi4,,

what about having the MTEXTs already in a block?

Regards

Message 5 of 17
sloan.campi4
in reply to: TheCADnoob

Yeah, TEXTALIGN only works to align text to a common point. I need the text aligned one on top of the other.
Message 6 of 17

So, I have calculated the square footages of the room areas using an LSP that automatically labels all the square footages as MTEXT field all at once.  I'm not sure how I can add those specific square footages to a block while having the correct room numbers, since every room number is different.  Could you perhaps elaborate a bit on your solution sofia.xanthopoulou?

thanks.

@Sofia.Xanthopoulou wrote:

Hi @sloan.campi4,,

what about having the MTEXTs already in a block?

Regards

Message 7 of 17
Patchy

Message 8 of 17
sloan.campi4
in reply to: TheCADnoob

@TheCADnoob wrote:

sorry misunderstood

this wont do them all at once but perhaps may help http://www.lee-mac.com/aligntext.html

but its kind of like text align..

This LSP almost works... the only problem is that it will only align TEXT objects, not MTEXT objects.  The square footages, unfortunately, are in MTEXT, not text.  I tried editing the LSP to select MTEXT rather than just text, but it won't execute properly now.  This is definitely on the right track though.

Message 9 of 17

Do you work on plain AutoCAD or Architectural? 

Are your rooms only closed polyline profiles or rooms?

Actually I was thinking about attributes... so, no blocks, sorry...

Message 10 of 17

Well, I am not so much into programming but you could tag your room with this: 

I will add another video, how to align MTEXT.

Regards

Message 11 of 17

Hi @sloan.campi4,

has there been any suitable reply for you? You never gave us any feedback by accepting a solution or asking further questions. I am sure all posters and reader are curious which proposal you have followed? Did you find another way? Please share your experience with all readers Smiley Wink

Thank you

Tags (1)
Message 12 of 17

I'm working in plain AutoCAD 2016. All the room areas are in closed polylines. Unfortunately, my company is unable to upgrade to AutoCAD Architecture at this time, although I've pressed the issue.
Message 13 of 17

Thanks for your reply @sloan.campi4,

I may have used Architectural for my video, but all commands I showed there are plain AutoCAD. Have you tried it? Could this workflow be an option for you?

Regards

Message 14 of 17

Hi @sloan.campi4,

any feedback from your side on how you will handle this case will be appreciated Smiley Happy

Please let all readers benefit from your experience.

Thank you

Tags (1)
Message 15 of 17

Try changing this line in Lee's code.

(if (setq sel (ssget "_:L" '((0 . "TEXT"))))

to

(if (setq sel (ssget "_:L" '((0 . "MTEXT"))))

Untested.

Thanks.

Message 16 of 17

Hi @sloan.campi4,

Any feedback from you will be appreciated very much Smiley Wink

This was a very interesting question and I am sure all readers awaiting to see your response. So, if one of the posts resolved your question go ahead and mark it as accepted solution. If you still have questions on this, please continue the conversation.

Regards

Tags (1)
Message 17 of 17

Hi there!

I don't think there is a solution that I can choose but this is almost exactly what I want. It does get the job done but I used to have a lisp where you selected all of your text, they can have all different justications too, once text is selected you simply click to where you want them all to be aligned and that's it!

Thank you for your solution

John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost