Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A way to edit Document Properties from outside the Document?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
2036 Views, 8 Replies

A way to edit Document Properties from outside the Document?

There's a basic template we use for our drawings. How it works is that that the information comes in from a customer, it's put into a form that's printed out and given to us, and we then plug that information into the template (AutoCAD LT 2013, but we save them as 2007 DXFs for compatibility reasons if that matters).

Anyway, we're looking for a way to cut out that middle step and all the problems that seem to come with it. We want for the people who take the orders to be able to put the order information somewhere that it plugs all that information into the template for us directly, saving time and paperwork.

I've been playing around with Fields and looking around online, but can't seem to find a solution that's quite complete enough. I've made up a proof-of-concept form that runs on Custom Properties set from the Document Properties menu and it seems to get us most of the way there. All the people who take the orders would have to do is fill in the blanks on the template's Custom Properties once and it would fill the rest out for all of us.
But that would require them to have AutoCAD as far as I can tell, which would be pricey. I'm currently looking into some free .dwg viewers, particularly AutoCAD360, but that seems to have some strange issues with Fields. 

So, is there a way to edit a 2007 .DXF document's Custom Property values without AutoCAD? Some free method, software, or tool?

Also as a sidenote, is there a way to make the content of one table cell match another dynamically? Formulas only seem to work with numerical values, not text, and the Object Field doesn't recognize table cells as objects.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ampster40
in reply to: Anonymous

while this may not completely solve what you are looking for, you can simply right-click on a file in Windows Explorer and choose Properties.  In the next window you should see a Custom tab.  From there you can edit some properties but not all.  Acad isn't required for this method.

Message 3 of 9
dgorsman

You can purchase the RealDWG developers tool to develop a stand-alone application.  Pricey, but allows you to treat DWG files as if it was AutoCAD without AutoCAD.

If you are using ASCII DXF, then you can save several versions of the file and inspect and compare the contents.  That will identify what needs to be changed.  As an ASCII file you can use any text editor or editor-like program to manipulate the contents.

Out of curiosity, why put the AutoDesk manipulation up front at the client end?  With well-specified needs you could have a client-side application or form which creates a standard data file (or stream or whatever) which they send to you.  You have AutoCAD (can't automate LT)/RealDWG/whatever process that data file according to your needs.  If the processing method changes, you don't need to push anything new out to the clients.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Right-clicking and getting to the properties menu doesn't allow you to edit custom properties for a .dxf, it doesn't even allow you to see them. It does allow you to see them in a .dwt or .dwg, but still not edit.

And I'm not entirely sure if I understand correctly, but I don't think a form system like that would work because the sheets that come from us serve as the basis for just about everything and everybody. Quote number, order number, billing number, material, color, who we've sent out to take measurements, all kinds of things that the customers wouldn't be able to answer, so it would still have to go through someone.
It seems pretty messy, but that's why I'm trying to cut down on the number of steps. The same information has to be put down so many times that it's like playing telephone, and any mistakes halt everything on the order since everyone uses our sheet. Some bigger organizational changes are on the way, but I'm just trying to make whatever differences I can until then.

If we can do what I'm hoping we can, it'll just mean one less form for everyone to fill out, and less of our time spent copying stuff down.

Message 5 of 9
dgorsman

Might be an idea to look at terminology - I suspect what you call a "form" and "sheet" could be mean different things to different people.  Its easier to get the right answers when the right questions can be asked.

If it sounds messy in the explanation, thats a good sign the process needs to be mapped out better.  What gets stored where, who modifies or creates it, which order it gets looked at.  Mock it up, use people as stand-ins for computers, have them pass a paper (data) around and follow a list of instructions (program).  Look for where it starts to fall apart.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 9
ampster40

@Anonymous wrote:

Right-clicking and getting to the properties menu doesn't allow you to edit custom properties for a .dxf, it doesn't even allow you to see them. It does allow you to see them in a .dwt or .dwg, but still not edit.

D'oh!  That got me a 2nd time!  Many yrs ago I had stumbled upon that Properties area researching something similar for Inventor.  I never understood why they (MS) presents that Properties page as if you could edit any field shown there, but yet you cannot edit anything.

I never looked for this back then, but I wonder if someone created a 3rd party app that can access those fields?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: ampster40

An app or program that can do that is exactly what I'm looking for

Message 8 of 9
ampster40

I'm wondering just how far to dig into this...ie, maybe dwg and dxf file types were never meant to be modified this way

MS shows how to edit properties, but this doesn't work on dwg's so it probably won't work for dxf's either.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/change-the-properties-for-a-file

Free and paid for software but not sure of it's overall capabilities;

http://download.cnet.com/File-Property-Edit-Free/3000-2248_4-75345208.html

this one provides alot of details, so much so it appears the Autodesk propietary file types are not able to be editted in this fashion

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/100618-file-details-properties-add-change-remove.html

good luck!

Message 9 of 9
kidznok

Something new about how change properties from windows?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report