Did you mean: 

3D Object disappears when zooming

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Al.Thomas
7937 Views, 23 Replies

3D Object disappears when zooming

Hello,

I'm experiencing a certain problem while using AutoCAD 3D. Sometimes, on some projects, whenever i zoom in or out of a certain distance, a part of the object disappears for no reason. If I zoom on a certain distance, the object reappears. Also, if I click the mouse wheel, the object can be seen, but as long as I release the button, it dissappears. Can someone help me? My first thought was the GPU, but after testing it on a different computer, the problem persists. I've been searching the forums for a couple of weeks but I can't find a solution. Thanks for your time!

PC Specs:

AutoCAD 2017
GeForce 1060 3gb
AMD FX 8320
RAM: 8GB

Thomas

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
john.vellek
in reply to: Al.Thomas

Hi @Al.Thomas

I suspect that this is an issue with your graphics card and not with the drawing file. I am able to zoom, Pan, Orbit and everything appears fine.

Please tell me your exact version of AutoCAD, Operating System, and also your graphics card and driver.

If you toggle Hardware Acceleration in GRAPHICSCONFIG does the behavior change?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 24
Al.Thomas
in reply to: john.vellek

Thanks for your immediate response

I am using:

• AutoCAD 2017 N 52.0.0
  • Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
    Driver version: 22.21.13.8205
    Tuning Date: 8/5/2017
    Virtual device: Dx11 (Hardware)
  • Windows 7 Pro SP 1 64 bit

I am experiencing exactly the same issues at the office, so I am pretty sure that this is not a problem caused by the computer I am using at the moment. The computer that I'm using there doesn't even have a dedicated GPU (It's running on Intel graphics). I've attached the Tuner Log in case you want to take a deeper look. Changing the GRAPHICSCONFIG didn't help. Also I have to mention that the problem occurs to certain files. Other 3D projects that I'm working at, do not exprerience any issues.

Message 4 of 24
john.vellek

HI @Al.Thomas,

Your graphics driver looks good. I still am unable to get this behavior to present on my computer. Is it possible to make a screencast of what it looks like on your side?

You also mention that it happens in some files but not others. Can you determine what the difference in file content might be?

My vernum of AutoCAD 2017.1.1 Update is VERNUM = "N.301.0.0 

Can you confirm that you have the updates applied to your installation?

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 5 of 24
braudpat

Hello

Have you tried with :
LINEFADING = 0
LINESMOOTHING = 0

HQGEOM = 0

Please check that NVidia FXAA Feature is OFF

Regards, Patrice
Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 24
swieciakpawel

Hello,

I'm only assuming that when You open the .dwg that You uploaded nothing happens, but when You use it in some drawings, then You happen to find some problems. If so, and if this only happens for few of the drawings You work on, I'd also try looking at the coordinates that You use. Sometimes extreme values of X/Y/Z coordinates cause some visual glitches.

Other thing that comes to my mind is excessive object scaling that might cause objects to disappear at certain zoom levels.

Kind Regards,
Pawel

Message 7 of 24
john.vellek

Hi @Al.Thomas,

You mentioned in a PM that not all of the file was present in the one you attached to your post. Can attach the file that has the misbehaving objects on a new post for me to examine?

John Vellek

Message 8 of 24
Al.Thomas

Hello

I will post some pictures as soon as possible, because from what I can see, the objects that I have some issues with, dissapear when i open the dwg in a different computer. That's why you can't see anything wrong or missing.

Thomas

Message 9 of 24
swieciakpawel

Hey @john.vellek,

I have just noticed one pretty interesting thing with the .dwg file that OP sent here on forum, not sure If You have it similar or in Your case it is displayed properly?

Till now i thought it consists just of 2 springs, but when I looked in the Explorer window preview panel I noticed additional object, that in the opened file is not visible (in my case on 2 machines, one AutoCAD 2015, second AutoCAD 2017).

On AutoCAD 2015 I see an "invisible" 3rd solid apart from those 2 helixes, but cannot perform any actions on it.

On AutoCAD 2017 I see an "invisible" 3rd solid that performs some visual glitches while rotating/zooming/hovering around.

obraz.png

Maybe there is something wrong with that solid?

Kind Regards,
Pawel

Message 10 of 24
Al.Thomas
in reply to: swieciakpawel

That's what I am talking about. 

Message 11 of 24
Al.Thomas

The only thing that comes to my mind is that something is going on with the culling command. Turning it on or off doesn't change a thing though.

Here are the pictures that I promised you.

Object can be chosen but it stays hidden if you move the cursor away from it.jpg

Object can be chosen but it stays hidden if you move the cursor away from it

Object can be seen if you click the mouse wheel.jpg

Object can be seen if you click and hold the mouse wheel

Object disappears when zooming.jpg

Object disappears when zooming

Original Object.jpg

Original Object

Same thing happens if you zoom out too far as well.jpg

Same thing happens if you zoom out too far as well

Message 12 of 24
Al.Thomas
in reply to: braudpat

Hey @braudpat,

I've tried everything you suggested, but unluckily it didn't help.

Message 13 of 24
Al.Thomas

@john.vellekWhat I've sent you on a pm is a different project with exactly the same problem. The file I've posted here, is a different project, completely autonomous, that contains everything I've drawn, including of course the objects that disappear whenever I zoom. @swieciakpawel managed to see the missing objects as well.

Message 14 of 24
john.vellek
in reply to: swieciakpawel

Hi @swieciakpawel,

I agree that the file bitmap preview in Windows Explorer does look different than the drawing contents. In 2018 I can Qselect and it shows three solids even though I can only see two on the screen.

I have toggled culling, UNHIDE,different visual styles, and even tried exporting to a dxf as the dxf code 60 could be used to make the objects invisible but I have not them yet. Still looking and will now drop to an older version of AutoCAD to see if there is a difference. Thanks for your observations!

John Vellek

Message 15 of 24
john.vellek

Hi @Al.Thomas,

No matter what I try, I am unable to see the "third" solid in your file. Was it imported from another program or is it native AutoCAD? If you can see it, is it possible to turn it into something else  such as a surface or region? Can you block it out of your file and insert it into a new file?

John Vellek

Message 16 of 24
Al.Thomas

@john.vellek I can't perform any actions to that solid. I can only select it and delete it. The .dwg was created, opened and saved entirely on AutoCAD 2017. If I move it, it dissapears completely, whether I move it on a different file via copy or somewhere else on the same file. The difference between you and me is that I can still see the object on a certain distance, while you can't. Also, I've noticed something strange. When I open the file and zoom in, AutoCAD gets stuck for a second, like it's executing a hatch command or something like that, then the object starts disappearing etc.. I will try to record a video today, but I'm not sure whether it will help or not.

Message 17 of 24
john.vellek

Hi @Al.Thomas,

I am unable to recover that solid at all. In fact, if you list it you will see that it contains no data.

3DSOLID   Layer: "0"

Space: Model space

Handle = 326

History = None

Show History = No

Bounding Box: Lower Bound X = 0.0000   , Y = 0.0000   , Z = 0.0000

Upper Bound X = 0.0000   , Y = 0.0000   , Z = 0.0000

I am not sure what corrupted the solid but if this is an ongoing problem please add another post. You might consider setting ISAVEPERCENT =0 to see if that helps with the issue.  It would make your backups slower but would give you a full back up each time.

John Vellek

Message 18 of 24
Al.Thomas

Hello @john.vellek,

The problem persists and I keep on facing similar issues. 

Message 19 of 24
john.vellek

Hi @Al.Thomas,

Can you please take a screenshot of your GRAPHICSCONFIG window for me? I want to see what graphics card and driver AutoCAD is using.

I suspect this error is actually caused when writing the file to disk though. Have you turned off the incremental save as I suggested?

John Vellek

Message 20 of 24

I am looking the solution for this problem for MANY years but still couldn't find any. Originally constructed in AutoCAD 3D-drawings are disappearing ALWAYS by zooming. It doesnt meter which video card I tested, which OS or which version of AutoCAD. This issue bothers me a lot and I hope one day it will be finally fixed in AutoCAD. I adding the picture one of my drawing. Below u can recognize appearing of the "black area" where the mesh and objects are disappearing. By counting zooming in the whole model just disappears.. Thank you for any responce and suggestions:)

tmp.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost