0 objects joined, objects discarded from operation

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
masterenol
48996 Views, 22 Replies

0 objects joined, objects discarded from operation

Hello everyone,

Can someone please help me join the lines for the gear section shown below?

JoinHelp.png

I've tried EXPLODE and JOIN, BOUNDARY, FLATTEN, but none of those commands seem to work for me.

I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can be.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: masterenol

The issue is that the lines are not matching, the vertexes of the different lines are not connected.

Use topview, and zoom in for each vertex then you will see the gaps

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I just don't quite grasp why the lines won't join if there is an evident little square indicating "endpoint"; and even by zooming them in fully it shows the lines are joined.

Message 4 of 23
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I just don't quite grasp why the lines won't join

Only geometry objects that are not already closed polylines can be joined with other polylines/lines/arcs.

But look e.g. to that:

20171126_201951.png

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
ISH-Solutions GmbH / Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS
www.ish-solutions.at ... blog.ish-solutions.at ... LinkedIn ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 23
imadHabash

Hi,

i suggest to use BPOLY command then pick inside your shape to get it directly. see attached file

Regards

Capture.PNG

john.vellek has embedded this image(s) for clarity

Imad Habash

EESignature

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I got it! (After some hours). My truly thankfulness!

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous

Carlos, what was the solution? I have faced the same problem. I always have problems with xplolded solids! please give me general advice and solution for my current problem.

I have exploded a solid object, exploded again the region and seems that i have a 2d object. but I can not create a closed object by JOINing the parts. I tried Flatten but no help.

I have attached the file. the outer boundary will not join. please help me.

Message 8 of 23
gotphish001

What's the difference between the "xploded 2d???"and "incomplete join"? The "incomplete join" joins fine into a closed polyline. Maybe I ran join twice I can't remember as I was playing with it awhile. The "xploded 2d" one I can get to be 2 parts but can't get those to join. 

Nick DiPietro
Cad Manager/Monkey

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: gotphish001

after I ran JOIN on the "Xploded 2d" , the result was " incomplete join" .

Message 10 of 23
Anonymous

I just found a solution for my problem, but it leaves me confused. I will be thankful if someone help more.

the solution: instead of using JOIN command on a 2d shape (results from double-Xplode on a solid), I used PEDIT>join

why JOIN does not work but PEDIT>JOIN works ???

Message 11 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I like to use PEDIT>Join whenever possible as it does not connect everything and change it to SPLINES.

I also use XEDGES to obtain the linework from the solids instead of exploding. This usually ends up with cleaner linework to work from.

Capture.PNG

Thats is what i used on this file and it looks pretty clean to me.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

thanks.

you mean that you could get a closed outer boundary after XEDGES>PEDIT>JOIN ?

I tried XEDGES>JOIN ...but the result was the same as doublw xplode followed by join  ( I mean unsuccessful).

also XEDGEX>Pedit>Join was unsuccessful. 

the only method that worked for me was Xplode solid> Xplode region>Pedit>join

Message 13 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I still had to do some clean up as there were lines on top of lines if viewed from the top.

Once I used only the lines at the same Z value then I had no problem using PEDIT.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

thank you John

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous

Thank you John,

Please if you have time chesk my screencast and comment if I am doing something wrong when using XEDGES

Message 16 of 23
john.vellek

hI @Anonymous,

Thanks for the video. It appears that you are doing this correctly but your model doesn't seem to always give the XEDGES the cleanest lines.  I was able to get it to work a couple times but not on the third or fourth tries.  I tried a BO (Boundary) as well and as you can see in this image, there are several connections that are not perfect (indicated by red circles).

Capture.PNG

On my later attempts, I simply recreated the fillets and everything works fine again.

I was a little surprised when running FLATTEN that most of the geometry gets erased.  Where did the original file originate?

John Vellek

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous

John, thank you very much for spending time on this.

I created the original solid from a 2d shape i had created using REGION and then EXTRUDE. now in order to get the parts cut using a cnc laser  device ( to use them in my actual physical model), I need to rebuild the 2d model of the solid objects. 

Message 18 of 23
john.vellek

Hi @habib7770,

Maybe for a solid so simple, you could consider using SOLPROF.  That gives you the outlines in a single command. I did this and was able to Pedit>Join all the pieces.

John Vellek

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous

This method (using SOLPROF) was perfect for my problem.

I tried recreating the fillets. that also solved the problem. apparently something was wrong with fillets.

(about you previous question ..) these fillets have been originally created not using FILLET on my 2d model, but,  I created them using FILLETEDGE after the solid was created.

I still dont understand what is the source of this problem but I am so grateful you helped me get the work done. 

If I later realize what has caused the problem I will post back for other users.

Message 20 of 23
masterenol

I just redrew the drawing. I did not get a satisfying answer last year when I posted this question, so I have not attempted any of the solutions proposed recently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta