AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Update 2 - AutoCAD LT for Mac 2016 installation failure

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
adamsjay
520 Views, 16 Replies

Update 2 - AutoCAD LT for Mac 2016 installation failure

Each time I open a session with AutoCAD LT for Mac 2016, a dialogue box prompt pops up telling me to download and install Update 2. Unfortunately, the installation fails each time. The error message says "The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance".

How do I resolve this issue?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
maxim_k
in reply to: adamsjay

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

You can find out more about the error in
/private/var/log/install.log file. It is rather big, you need to scroll to the end of the file and find strings about AutoCAD update.

You can also try to uninstall AutoCAD with "Remove AutoCAD" application, than install it again and try to apply the Update.

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 17
john.vellek

Hi @adamsjay,

Welcome to the Autodesk Community!

If you go here you can download the updates and run them manually.

Please post your results.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 4 of 17
maxim_k
in reply to: john.vellek

Looks like OP downloaded the Update successfully, and the error occurs during installation process.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 17
john.vellek
in reply to: maxim_k

Hi @maxim_k,

You might be right about that but I am not sure.

The logs should tell a lot!

Let's see how the OP responds.

Thanks as always.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 6 of 17
adamsjay

John - I followed the link you provided, and downloaded Service Pack 2 again. Same issue - the installation failed. Do I really have to uninstall the program and reinstall? Pretty sure I just downloaded the program when I upgraded from AutoCAD LT for Mac 2013. How do I reinstall without a program disk?

Message 7 of 17
maxim_k

You can download trial 2016 version installer and use it for installation.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 17
john.vellek

Hi @adamsjay,

Before you do an uninstall and reinstall, lets try a Reset to see if that helps Reset is found under the AutoCAD pull down menu next to File.

You can obtain a new install either from a Trial of using the Virtual Agent

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post fully solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Message 9 of 17
adamsjay

I did the Reset, but get the same installation failure.

Message 10 of 17
john.vellek

HI @adamsjay,

I am sorry to hear that didn't help.  As Maxim_K suggests, a reinstall is the next step then.  I would also consider doing a complete uninstall first. (See AKN Article for details).

Please make sure that you also have full administrative rights for your user account.

I like to use the Virutal Agent to get my downloads as I submitted in my previous post.

Please post your results.

John Vellek

Message 11 of 17
adamsjay

Thanks for the article about how to uninstall the program. I'll get back to you later about whether that fixes the issue. Right now, I'm on a project deadline and need to keep drawing.

Message 12 of 17
wei503

Hi @adamsjay,

Did you change anything inside the AutoCAD LT 2016.app?

If no, are you using any disk clean tools to clean the disk? We have seen cases that some disk clean tools remove files aggressively and remove some files inside our product.

Thanks,
Wei

Wei Ma
AutoCAD for Mac QA Manager

Message 13 of 17
adamsjay
in reply to: wei503

I have not modified the program at all. I do use MacKeeper to clean my computer. Perhaps this utility has removed an important AutoCAD file.

Message 14 of 17
maxim_k

Hi,

@adamsjay wrote:

... I do use MacKeeper to clean my computer.

You shan't do it under any circumstances, because MacKeeper is well knowing "virus-like" software.

Here is the quote from this thread on Reddit:

"MacKeeper advertises itself as something that optimizes your Mac's speed and performance. It removes some expendable caches and sometimes it removes required system files while it's at it. Sometimes it removes iPhoto resource files and corrupts libraries. It's pretty much a massive scam targeted at people who don't know how to maintain their OS. 

The real evil and beauty is that the target audience wouldn't even know not to download it. They think they need a program like that when all they really need is to reboot, do a disk repair, or remove 3rd party launch agents and launch daemons.

To remove it:

Drag the app in /Applications into the trash. It will ask you to do a short survey about why you would be so brash as to delete such a useful tool. This is where you write the snarkiest comment you can think of. It should uninstall it's resource files too.

.....You have to trash the app and also anything with the word mackeeper or zeobit in the file name. There's usually a few files in these directories: 

~/library/launchagents /library/launchagents /library/launchdaemons

Also check:

~/library/preferences /library/preferences "

And I'm not sure that after removing MacKeeper and reinstalling AutoCAD you will be able to install Update 2. Further more there is a chance that you can not install AutoCAD again after removing it.

For now you can try to remove MacKeeper from your Mac, than try to install Update 2.

If it fails again - try to create new user account on your Mac (via Users and groups pane in Mac OS System preferences), login to this new account and try to install Update 2 from it. If this will help, you can return to you main user account and test AutoCAD. If everything is OK - remove new user account you created earlier.

But anyway - your System is now in unstable condition (after using MacKeeper on it). Maybe you even will have to fresh reinstall the whole system.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 15 of 17
adamsjay

Wow! Thanks for the information. I will remove MacKeeper as you suggest, and try the next steps you recommend.

Message 16 of 17
john.vellek

Hi @adamsjay,

I agree with Maxim about your add on.  Personally, if it were my Mac, I would format and reinstall the OS and apps.

You might be able to create a new user profile but I have done that on a couple of Macs in the same situation and have never been totally happy with the results.

John Vellek

Message 17 of 17
adamsjay

Thanks to wei503, maxim_k and john.vellek for the useful advice. I removed Mackeeper and its files, removed & reloaded the OS and removed & reloaded the AutoCAD program and its files. Installation of Service Packs 1, 2 and 3 were successful. I appreciate everyone's help in solving this problem!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost