AutoCAD for Mac Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD for Mac Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD for Mac topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to attach a scale to my drawing

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
sean.birdsall
521 Views, 12 Replies

Trying to attach a scale to my drawing

I have been trying to attach the scale to a DWG file , but despite numerous hours I still cant see how its done, any ideas anyone  ?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
maxim_k
in reply to: sean.birdsall

Welcome to Autodesk Forums!

Hi,

Can you clarify:
Are you trying to set scale for printing?
Or you want to insert Scale Bar into the drawing?

Maxim

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Etiquette and Ground Rules of Autodesk Community
Message 3 of 13
sean.birdsall
in reply to: maxim_k

I need to set the scale 1:100 (for a planning app) but I also need the scale attaching to the printed drawing I apologise if im not being clear enough

Message 4 of 13
maxim_k

It all depends on how much real world units are in one AutoCAD unit and how you want to print your drawing: from Model space or from Layout.
For example if one AutoCAD unit in your drawing equals one millimeter in real world and you want to print from Model space, than you need to scale up 100 times all annotation objects (text, dimension text, title block, page border, etc.). Than, when you will create page setup you need to set output scale to 1:100.

If you are using Layouts and one drawing unit equals one millimeter in the Model space, than you need to create viewport(s) in the Layout and set scale of the viewport(s) to 1:100. All annotations in the Model space should be scaled up 100 times and you don't need to scale annotation objects in Paper space as you will output your drawing from the Layout with scale 1:1.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 5 of 13
pendean

Did you draw your plan at 1:1 scale, of "something else"?
Is this for printing, or simply for drafting?

What is your AutoCAD experience, beginner, intermediate? I ask so we can all tailor responses suitable to your understanding of the program.
Message 6 of 13
sean.birdsall
in reply to: pendean

absolutel complete beginner, the drawing has already been done, I want to print it onto A3 paper at 1:100 scale  (or 1:50), but I need to show the scale on the printed document. The original drawing is a 3d dwg file if that helps ?

Message 7 of 13
maxim_k

If the original drawing is in 3D, than we can speak about scale only in you want to print 2D projections from that drawing.
After 2D projections will be ready you can prepare them for printing.
Here are some links which can help you :

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/getting-started/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/E...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Liu9xb7cjNE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_-AlLpPuN5M

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2zo9nV11o

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kVISYmfdvc0

If you are a beginner it is better to start from some tutorials and books. It is very difficult to explain everything in two words.

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 8 of 13
john.vellek

Hi @sean.birdsall,

I assume that you are drawing with your drawing units set to MM. If you have drawn your 3D model at 1:1 (real world size) then the scale should be simple.

Click on a layout. Create a Page Setup for the layout that indicates a paper size of A3, area to plot=Layout, Scale=1:1.

Then, Set this Page Setup to be current. The white area now represents a real world A3 size piece of "paper". Create a viewport that fits on this piece of paper. Double-click in the viewport and select a scale from the Scalelist (bottom right of screen) that sets the scale at 1:50 or 1:100.

Do these steps resolve your issue or are you trying to insert a bar scale into your file to show the scale? I usually insert the bar scale in paperspace (especially in a 3D environment).

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 9 of 13
sean.birdsall
in reply to: john.vellek

Yes Im at least now able to print it to scale, burt I still need to add the bar scale to it , I just cant seem to find it ?

Message 10 of 13
maxim_k

You can search over the Internet, the first place I have found is:
http://www.firstinarchitecture.co.uk/scalebars/

Maxim

Maxim Kanaev
Architect
MARSS

MacACAD | Linkedin

Message 11 of 13
john.vellek

Hi @sean.birdsall,

I suggest simply creating your own standard barscale block as one is not shipped in the package.Here is one attached that might get you started.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 12 of 13
sean.birdsall
in reply to: john.vellek

Ok I now have a scaledf drawing and no matter how many times I try to add the scale bar to it I am having absolutely no success at all, and I have followed every step carefully, any ideas anyone ?

Message 13 of 13
john.vellek

Hi @sean.birdsall,

Are you not able to insert the scale into paperspace?

Since your model is a 3D representation, you will fight a bit orienting a scale bar in modelspace.

John Vellek

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost